Anyone buy a PC laptop lately?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i use a toshiba gosmio great pc laptop and runs my editing software no problem http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/qosmio/x870

all good points guys, thanks for the input. i didn't realize that the non-Dell options were that much more affordable than Dell. I'm still trying to keep this at around $1000 and I'll have to spend another $600 on a second hand Adobe CS6 on ebay.

Will a video edited in Premier on a PC be transferable to Premier on a MAC or will they always be incompatible?

I do travel quite a bit so being able to use multiple ports will be a factor since some hotels still have wired internet access. I can't spend $2000 plus software though so I may have to back off a little on what I expect to be able to do with it. Reviewing HD video clips from an SD card and scanning through photos may be the limit. And reading through MultiRotorForums.com posts or course. :)

THanks,
Bart

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Creative Cloud subscription is such a good way to go, in fact I think it is the only sensible way to go- you will always have the latest version that way, no need to upgrade when CS7 comes out. When you add in getting the whole CS6 suite for about $50 a month, I personally think that that is very good value ie Photoshop, Illustrator, After effects, Premiere Pro etc etc. Also, with the subscription, you are aloud 2 computers with the account if I am correct so you could have one account on a MAC and the other on windows if you so wish.

15crewdawg

For personal use Creative Cloud is a great way to go.

I personally stay well away from buying used computer equipment. You tend to acquire someone else's headaches. And no warranty.

Bartman

coupon code LABORDAY13 knocked off $100!!! Under $1000 and it doesn't look like a bad machine.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
If you are into tekky stuff and fiddling with the internals by doing this and that to tweak your machine then I am sure you will get a much cheaper machine than a MAC.. However if you just want it to work then its a no brainier..

kloner

Aerial DP
we use creative cloud too, that way you stay up to date and is cheap.... if you quit using it to make money, cancel the sub....

Bartman

If you are into tekky stuff and fiddling with the internals by doing this and that to tweak your machine then I am sure you will get a much cheaper machine than a MAC.. However if you just want it to work then its a no brainier..

Dave,

i'm sure your macs have been good for you but having grown up using PC's, my Mac experience hasn't been as enlightening as one would expect. for one thing,
I'm ready to shoot the bouncing icons in my Dock and I still don't know what to expect each time the Finder window pops up. It's a bit confusing at times so I'm now comfortably straddling the Mac/PC line with one or more of each.

Bart

cbpagent72

My full time job is computer forensics so I feel comfortable giving you some advice on what to buy. I first need to know if you plan on replacing your laptop with a desktop since it will be used primarily for editing. I also need to know what editing software you plan on using.

The agency that I work for started buying Apple computers like crazy but they have not met our needs and in most cases the MacPros are seriously underpowered. Just because it has a two Xeon didn't mean that a good Core i7 won't kick it's butt. The Macbook Pro laptops are okay but not really worth the high price unless you just have to have a glowing Apple logo on the lid.

The New Intel Haswell series CPUs have very impressive onboard graphics and in some cases they are even better than discreet graphics. That being said, I would recommend buying the best discreet graphics card that you can afford and using a program like Virtu to switch between the discreet card and the Haswell CPU depending on the task that you are doing. The Haswell onboard graphics do tasks like video encoding much much faster than even the Nvidia GTX 780 but they suck for things such as
tessellation.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1717178/haswell-video-encoding-kills-ivy-sandy.html

http://www.custompcreview.com/compu...ll-photo-video-editing-build-july-2013/18285/

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Another Mac user here. I run vmware fusion and all of my windows based rc programs without any issues. Funny how my Mac runs windows better virtually than most pc laptops. A custom built desktop running windows is the best way for video editing though.

Bartman

just got a shipping notification from HP. i thought it was going to take a few days to make it up but i guess not.

thanks for bringing me up to speed everyone. if i can fix the burned out fuse that is making my old dell's screen dark then i'll have a dedicated workbench PC for running my eagletree logger and my test stand.

Bart

15crewdawg

@cbpagent72
Good info there. Being an IT pro myself, I agree with everything you said. MAC's are way too over-priced for what they deliver. That and you get locked into the Apple ecosystem.
The Gen 4 Intel CPU's have some incredible capabilities but I still lean towards a dedicated video for anything more than basic computer work.

@Droider
All of my systems "just work". But if I ever need to do any "tweaking" or "tekky stuff" I can do so with minimal effort. A simple thing like adding/upgrading my RAM or changing a HDD and all I have to do is pop off a small cover panel and install it. Not so with a MAC.
You have to take yours to a Apple store and pay for a Apple tech to upgrade your stuff. My wife can upgrade her laptop and she is not a "tekky" person.

I love how back in the 80's the Apple fanboy mantra was how owning/using an Apple was going against "Big Brother". And now Apple has become "Big Brother". You can't do anything to a MAC, hardware or software, without the express permission/approval of almighty Apple.
That is unless you "jailbreak" your Apple device. Which voids any warranty or tech support.

@Bartman
Looks like a decent system. Great price too. I'm not fond of HP computers particularly, but if it works for you...

cbpagent72

just got a shipping notification from HP. i thought it was going to take a few days to make it up but i guess not.

thanks for bringing me up to speed everyone. if i can fix the burned out fuse that is making my old dell's screen dark then i'll have a dedicated workbench PC for running my eagletree logger and my test stand.

Bart

It sounds like your backlight inverter is bad. That actually is pretty common and easy to fix. Here is a link showing you a Dell laptop inverter just to give you an idea what they look like, just make sure you buy the right inverter for your laptop.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005KP2PM6

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

15crewdawg

It's not that hard to replace the inverter. And there are step by step instructions(with pictures) in the Dell manual of how to do it.
Which laptop is it?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
@Droider
All of my systems "just work". But if I ever need to do any "tweaking" or "tekky stuff" I can do so with minimal effort. A simple thing like adding/upgrading my RAM or changing a HDD and all I have to do is pop off a small cover panel and install it. Not so with a MAC.
You have to take yours to a Apple store and pay for a Apple tech to upgrade your stuff. My wife can upgrade her laptop and she is not a "tekky" person.

Horses for corses I suppose.. Since 1986 I have used macs and only once had one go belly up with a duff power switch.. Never needed to do anything as I said it just works fine for me and I have never had to wrestle with bloody USB drivers and swithiching between this card and that card to get the disply to work for either graphics or what ever. I like spending time outdoors, flying and just enjoying the world away from computers, unfortyunatley in my day job I have to use windows programmes and devices that only work on windows and what a total pain in the arse asiging drivers and trying to find this and that in the divice manager. OK if thats your bag but I dont care about the price tag as my outside time is worth more to me than keyboard time. Big Brother or not if it saves me time and is easy to use then Ill use it...

Aye Up Bart just turn of the bouncing icons in the finder preferences, two click and your done!

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
alot of problems when screens go dark can be as mentioned backlight inverters in other cases depending on how much abuse the lappy gets it can just be a case of reseating the screen cable

have found that to be a problem with many second hand laptops etc

may cost nothing to fix just a little bit of work to find where the ribbon cable connects etc

keith