Aluminum arms for dji flamewheel frames

If I am planning on using 4114 sized motors, do I need the Large OD motor spacer since the edge of the motor will be hanging off the edge of the arm? I will not be using the coax motor mounts or the aluminum legs. Thanks.

Maymidroix

If I am planning on using 4114 sized motors, do I need the Large OD motor spacer since the edge of the motor will be hanging off the edge of the arm? I will not be using the coax motor mounts or the aluminum legs. Thanks.

Hi, you don't need the large OD spacer. Are you building a quad or a hexa? Please post pictures once you have it done. :)

econfly

Here is my 450 with the extended aluminum arms, Tiger MN4010-11 motors (KV 475), 14 x 4.8 Tiger Motor carbon fiber props, and a pair of 4s 35-70 3300 Turnigy nano-techs (in parallel). With a GoPro and the H3-2D, all up weight is 2.2kg. Flight time has been in the 17-19 minute range.

450-1.jpg
450-2.jpg

450-3.jpg

Ill be swapping arms on a 700 sized quad, down to 650 with the new arms. Running 4114 350kv motors with 14" props. Pretty similar to econfly's rig

Here is my 450 with the extended aluminum arms, Tiger MN4010-11 motors (KV 475), 14 x 4.8 Tiger Motor carbon fiber props, and a pair of 4s 35-70 3300 Turnigy nano-techs (in parallel). With a GoPro and the H3-2D, all up weight is 2.2kg. Flight time has been in the 17-19 minute range.

450-1.jpg
450-2.jpg

450-3.jpg

Can you please post some video of the new flight characteristics?

econfly

Can you please post some video of the new flight characteristics?

Here you go. This is a quick clip from this evening (far from artistic -- just an example of how it flies). I'm not sure how any of this can be judged objectively without hands-on, but I'm happy with how it is working out. Filmed with a GoPro mounted to the Tx. Sound left in for illustration purposes. In the middle of the video I just started slapping the sticks to show response (stick movements are audible). Flying in atti mode. All gains are at 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi econfly, that's a beautiful F450, it seems to sound a little different with the aluminium arms, job well done, you have spent a fair bit of money on your quad, with excellent flight times and good performance your are obviously happy with the result.
Regards - bruce

jfro

Aerial Fun
Here you go. This is a quick clip from this evening (far from artistic -- just an example of how it flies). I'm not sure how any of this can be judged objectively without hands-on, but I'm happy with how it is working out. Filmed with a GoPro mounted to the Tx. Sound left in for illustration purposes. In the middle of the video I just started slapping the sticks to show response (stick movements are audible). Flying in atti mode. All gains are at 100%.

Econfly, Great rig!.

I have a very similar rig with the same aluminum arms, except my tiger motors are 900kv & 10" props. 12-15 mins flying and 20 without gimbal. I love the way it flies with both the f450 arms and the aluminum arms. I have been contemplating going to bigger / lower kv motors and larger props like what I saw on yours or maybe a 15" prop with 400kv motors.

I like the motors your using as they seem to fly great with 4s batteries of which I have a bunch.

I was wondering if you could/would add a little more weight and see how it flies. I'd like to double duty mine with the tarot 2 axis/gopro3 setup, but I have another small/mid size gimbal with camera that weighs 2.5 lbs for gimbal, lens, & camera. If you could just add 2 to 2 1/4 more lbs and see if and how long it flies, I'd be very thankful. I understand it may not be something you want to try, but if so, thanks in advance.

Looks and fly's awesome.. Does have that aluminum ring to it but those motors and props do that on my S800.

I bit of advice about your DJI downlink.

1. Either sell it and get something better as it is one of the worse TX's out there for static and noise.
2. Buy (or e-mail me, I have hundreds here from my business) an RPSMA male to RPSMA female 6" or 8" extension cable so you can move it down as far as possible and in the correct polarity.
3. The circular polarized antennas still need to be mounted vertically. They loose a great amount of distance mounted that way not to mention it is shadowed most of the time.

Anyway... Great looking build.

econfly

Econfly, Great rig!.

I have a very similar rig with the same aluminum arms, except my tiger motors are 900kv & 10" props. 12-15 mins flying and 20 without gimbal. I love the way it flies with both the f450 arms and the aluminum arms. I have been contemplating going to bigger / lower kv motors and larger props like what I saw on yours or maybe a 15" prop with 400kv motors.

I like the motors your using as they seem to fly great with 4s batteries of which I have a bunch.

I was wondering if you could/would add a little more weight and see how it flies. I'd like to double duty mine with the tarot 2 axis/gopro3 setup, but I have another small/mid size gimbal with camera that weighs 2.5 lbs for gimbal, lens, & camera. If you could just add 2 to 2 1/4 more lbs and see if and how long it flies, I'd be very thankful. I understand it may not be something you want to try, but if so, thanks in advance.

Why not -- it's a slow day here. Weight as I have it is about 2.2kg (a little under 5 pounds). So I added enough weight to bring it up to 7 pounds exactly (added about 2.15 pounds). You can see it in the two white containers mounted with adhesive tape to the top of the rig. I didn't change any settings, but once I had it in the air it seemed to fly best with the gains at about 135% (mapped to a knob on my Tx). It handled well, had plenty of power, and I flew it around until the loaded voltage dropped to 14.2, which is usually when I stop with this thing.

I got 14 minutes of flight time out of it just flying around as seen in the video. The more I fly it I am finding 20 minutes at my flight weight is easily achievable.

According to Tiger Motor's specs, the MN4010 motors (475KV) at 4S and with TM 14x4.8 props have 510g of thrust at 50% throttle, 730g at 65%, and 910g at 75%. At my weight, I need 550g per motor to hover. At the 7lb weight in the video you need 795g of thrust (likely a little more for both in real life). So my flight weight should hover at just over 50% throttle. A 7lb weight hovers at around 70% throttle. This is a nice thing about this setup. It can carry quite a bit more weight and still deliver decent flight times. Anyway, here is the video:

Looks and fly's awesome.. Does have that aluminum ring to it but those motors and props do that on my S800.

I bit of advice about your DJI downlink.

1. Either sell it and get something better as it is one of the worse TX's out there for static and noise.
2. Buy (or e-mail me, I have hundreds here from my business) an RPSMA male to RPSMA female 6" or 8" extension cable so you can move it down as far as possible and in the correct polarity.
3. The circular polarized antennas still need to be mounted vertically. They loose a great amount of distance mounted that way not to mention it is shadowed most of the time.

Anyway... Great looking build.

Thanks! -- my video downlink isn't the best. It's good enough to frame shots, which is all I need, but I will move the antenna to see how it improves things.

Thanks! -- my video downlink isn't the best. It's good enough to frame shots, which is all I need, but I will move the antenna to see how it improves things.

Yeah, I was very disappointed in mine and immediately sold it. I checked the supplied antennas on an RF spectrum analyzer and a power meter and they are both out of frequency for the channels DJI transmits on so I put my crystal clear 2.5 mile GAUI FPV TX and RX back on my F550. This is it with the DJI downlink still sandwiched in the top tier.

I manufactured WiFi antennas and radios for 9 years so I build all my own FPV antennas now so I can tune them to an exact frequency.

105y5hw.jpg

2yl2y6b.jpg

hrxawm.jpg

jfro

Aerial Fun
Why not -- it's a slow day here. Weight as I have it is about 2.2kg (a little under 5 pounds). So I added enough weight to bring it up to 7 pounds exactly (added about 2.15 pounds). You can see it in the two white containers mounted with adhesive tape to the top of the rig. I didn't change any settings, but once I had it in the air it seemed to fly best with the gains at about 135% (mapped to a knob on my Tx). It handled well, had plenty of power, and I flew it around until the loaded voltage dropped to 14.2, which is usually when I stop with this thing.

I got 14 minutes of flight time out of it just flying around as seen in the video. The more I fly it I am finding 20 minutes at my flight weight is easily achievable.

According to Tiger Motor's specs, the MN4010 motors (475KV) at 4S and with TM 14x4.8 props have 510g of thrust at 50% throttle, 730g at 65%, and 910g at 75%. At my weight, I need 550g per motor to hover. At the 7lb weight in the video you need 795g of thrust (likely a little more for both in real life). So my flight weight should hover at just over 50% throttle. A 7lb weight hovers at around 70% throttle. This is a nice thing about this setup. It can carry quite a bit more weight and still deliver decent flight times.

econfly, Thank you so much for taking the time and testing/reporting on the heavier flight. Looks like it flew fine, but 70% on hoover is a little steep for me. I'm assuming my weight will be similar to yours.

It would be great to be able to fly both a light weight and medium weight gimbal on a quad of this size... I was just thinking that I had my quad dialed in and just the way I wanted it and then I see your setup with the lower KV motors with good flight times and able to carry 2.5 lbs.....

Mojave

Hi, you don't need the large OD spacer. Are you building a quad or a hexa? Please post pictures once you have it done. :)

Is it possible to countersink the holes and use different screws that attach the coaxial plate; thus avoiding the use of the spacers?

Maymidroix

Is it possible to countersink the holes and use different screws that attach the coaxial plate; thus avoiding the use of the spacers?

Yes it's possible, but it will make the arm weaker on the motor end side. I have to redesign the arm a little bit to include the countersunk holes. That's why I desided to keep the arm the same for now and add the spacer to clear the button head screws.

Cgott

Hi Maymidroix,
I recently bought a extended aluminum arms for my F500 with T-Motors 3110-700, but all flights have been a disaster.
the first flight lasted a minute before it fall down and broke 2 new Maytech 11x5 carbon fiber propellers. That flight was very untestable an very hard to control the drone. My F550 weight is 2400 g, and I was using 4500 mAh 4s 35c battery.
After that I try with 10x5 Graupner props, with almost the same results... Untestable and very hard to control it... Crashed and two broken props. I try also with 11x4.7 Gemfan props with 8000mAh 3s 35c battery, just little more stable but hard to control it. With very strong tendency to turns yaw on CCW direction. Before I change the arms, I was using stock DJI motors with Stock DJI 10x4.7 propellers and it flights very well with 3s and 4s batteries.

what kind/brand of propeller do you recommend to use with extended aluminum arms?

Complete list of stuff:
- boscam 5.8 200mW transmitter
-DJI iOSD
- DJI Bluetooth LED
- Tarot 2D gimbal
- DJI wookong controller
- DJI stock legs
- Futaba 8Fg
- a bunch of batteries 3s and 4s

Hi Maymidroix,
I recently bought a extended aluminum arms for my F500 with T-Motors 3110-700, but all flights have been a disaster.
the first flight lasted a minute before it fall down and broke 2 new Maytech 11x5 carbon fiber propellers. That flight was very untestable an very hard to control the drone. My F550 weight is 2400 g, and I was using 4500 mAh 4s 35c battery.
After that I try with 10x5 Graupner props, with almost the same results... Untestable and very hard to control it... Crashed and two broken props. I try also with 11x4.7 Gemfan props with 8000mAh 3s 35c battery, just little more stable but hard to control it. With very strong tendency to turns yaw on CCW direction. Before I change the arms, I was using stock DJI motors with Stock DJI 10x4.7 propellers and it flights very well with 3s and 4s batteries.

what kind/brand of propeller do you recommend to use with extended aluminum arms?

Complete list of stuff:
- boscam 5.8 200mW transmitter
-DJI iOSD
- DJI Bluetooth LED
- Tarot 2D gimbal
- DJI wookong controller
- DJI stock legs
- Futaba 8Fg
- a bunch of batteries 3s and 4s

I fly my F550 with these arms with AMP 2814 770KV, 2x4S 4200mah batteries with 11x5 carbon props AUW 3kg and handles very well. Your CG and gains will have to be adjusted.

Cgott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH4v9GXtfQc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
I think there is something wrong with your flight controller. Have you check your prop rotating direction? Have you adjusted the gains? Do have the speed controller conected to the right channel in the controller? Your problem is from the controller not because of the extended arms.

Please provide pictures of your configuration or take a video when you try to fly it again.

Thanks Maymidroix!
I'm absolutely convinced that the problem isn't the extended arms!!
I test motor/prop rotating direction with WM assistant app (Motor Test) and apparently motor rotation it's ok... I double check prop direction and it's ok too.

I was trying to adjust gains... Before the crash... But unfortunately I haven't Graupner/Maytech props left. I just have 10" and 8" DJI props and Gemfan 11x4.7...

I think the problem is battery/props configuration. Then before I buy a new set of propellers, I want to know what kind of propellers are working well with extended arms with similar motors.

Before I replace the original motors/arms by extended arms, my f550 flight very nice...(3s and 4s)
https://vimeo.com/80796178

With stock DJI motors and DJI 10" props... But when I try with 10" Graupner props, I have similar problems with yaw rotation.
when I replace the arms and motors, I don't change anything more!

tomorrow I will fly, and take some video.