Aluminum arms for dji flamewheel frames

leofuica

The legs are milled off so that the surface is flat with the existing arm
The second mount is milled flat then put in the lathe to true it up.
I us 12mm Carbon Fiber tubing now to hold the 2 pieces in alignment which is a press fit and damn nears keeps them in place but 2 set screws are used just to stop any rotation.
Here's a pic with 2 different colors to see the difference and I was using 12mm nylon tubing here. Any hollow 12mm tubing will press in nice and tight.
The 2 set screws are ran through the 2 thickest parts of the mount.

b6ue61.jpg

Please post more pics, never seen before....please and if you can write where you bougth them...¿ how affect the fly time? thanks

Maymidroix

Hi MAYMIDROIX, I would like to know how tough or hard these arms are. Which grade / series of aluminium did you decide to use, are you precipitation heat treating these arms to improve strength or is it just run of the mill aluminium that is purchased at ones local store?
regards - bruce

Hi Bruce,

This is the email content that I sent you, I'm posting it so everyone can read what I responded to you.

[FONT=verdana, geneva]The arms are made with high quality 6061-T6 aluminum. Heat treatment is already done in this type of aluminum. T6 stands for the type of heat treatment done. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6061_aluminium_alloy[FONT=verdana, geneva]) I can't tell you right now an exact value of what is stiffness of the arms but I did the stress analysis applying a 20 pound force on vertical and horizontal loads and it can support that load without deformation. [/FONT]The stock arms will easily break under that load. I'm working on actual stiffness testing of the stock and aluminum arms to compare the stiffness with real test data. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, geneva]Please like my page. www.facebook.com/aimdroix[/FONT]

Maymidroix

I was previously aware that those arms existed and I want them for my F550 build. Will you continue to make them into the future? I'm not in a hurry to preorder. I had hoped that I could buy four in anodized black and two in anodized white. The extra length means that I won't have to buy more AMP arm extensions. Will any motor attach to your arms? I hope your endeavour will be successful.

The arms are back in stock. http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=76_155.

Currently they will only be offered in Black and Red. They'll fit any motor that has mounting holes dimensions from 16mm to 25mm.
View attachment 14151
Here is a video of a DJIF550 now 650. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH4v9GXtfQc Enjoy.

Attachments

• 1234127_930071153456_2028172219_n.jpg
    1234127_930071153456_2028172219_n.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 452

Well, That video answered a question I had... Do the aluminum arms resonate the motor noise... OMG!.
I am not high frequency deaf and I would have to wear ear plugs to fly that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maymidroix

Well, That video answered a question I had... Do the aluminum arms resonate the motor noise... OMG!.
I am not high frequency deaf and I would have to wear ear plugs to fly that.

I don't think that the aluminum arms have nothing to do about increasing the noise of the motors. Those are much bigger motor than the DJI motor so they create a bit more noise. Also, microphones of the cameras might record noises different that how they really are.

I'm assuming the best way to accommodate the larger propellers these arms allow, would be to upgrade the DJI stock motors. What would be a good motor/prop combination to go along with this arm upgrade on a DJI 450 quad?

RobertsUp

I'm assuming the best way to accommodate the larger propellers these arms allow, would be to upgrade the DJI stock motors. What would be a good motor/prop combination to go along with this arm upgrade on a DJI 450 quad?

My hybrid is the F450 upgraded with the Aerial Media Pro's heavy lift kit. The arm extensions make the stock arms about the same length as the new aluminum arms. It flies like a beast with 770kv 2814 motors and 11x5 props. I've been so pleased with the performance that I want to build an F550 with those aluminum arms.

My hybrid is the F450 upgraded with the Aerial Media Pro's heavy lift kit. The arm extensions make the stock arms about the same length as the new aluminum arms. It flies like a beast with 770kv 2814 motors and 11x5 props. I've been so pleased with the performance that I want to build an F550 with those aluminum arms.

I have a DJIF550 with the AMP Heavy lift kit... i have recently replaced the stock arms and extensions with these Aluminum arms and there is definitely a stability and performance increase. Worth doing IMHO.

I'm thinking about getting a set of these arms for my stock DJIF450 along with 4 Tiger Motor MT2814-10 - KV 770. I'm checking with ReadyMadeRC about the length of the wires on the motors, if they are compatible with the stock DJI 30amp ESC's, and if there would be an issue bolting them to the aluminum arms (I've read that some folks have damaged their motors when bolting them on).

Has any one come up with a good simple landing gear solution for using the 3 holes intended for the optional X8 motor mounts.
[h=1][/h]

The only issue I've heard of regarding bolting motors to the aluminum arms is that the M3x8 bolts that come with the dji-F450/F550 kits are too long. You'll need shorter bolts.

The T-Motor 2814-10 motors are listed as having a max. continuous current of 27A. The DJI 30A Opto ESC's should work fine. The wire length on those motors should be more than long enough; in fact, you'll probably want to cut them down and solder on new bullet connectors.

I decided to go for the T-Motor MT2216-11 900kv V2 and the AIMDROIX Aluminum Arms for DJI Multirotors (QUAD PACKAGE).
Thanks for the input guys.

Maybe in the future I can add 4 more motors to upgrade to an X8 configuration.

I may have missed it... What is the lower height of these arms?

I have a Y6 frame I would like to upgrade but need the adapters which are not available yet for the bottom motors.

econfly

I just installed a set of these arms on a 550 and they are very well made -- a huge improvement over the stock plastic arms. While I was at it I went with Tiger Motor 12x4 props, MN3510-13 KV700 motors, and 30 amp ESCs. All up weight with 2x4500 4s batteries, camera, gimbal, and landing gear is 3.85kg. Flight time is 12-15 minutes (flying for photography, not sport).

Sounds like a cool rig econfly! I put 11x4.7 props on my rig. Flies really nice and super stable. Haven't had a chance to check the flight time yet, been rainy the last few days. I also plan on using my rig for photography (small camera).

I noticed that some of the screws that attach the bottom plate to the arms were missing and some were loose. I contacted ReadMadeRC and they said to use Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242.

Still looking for the height specs.

*These arms are slightly shorter in height than the stock DJI arms. For frames such as the stock DJI Flamewheel frames where the arms determine the distance between the boards, this is not an issue. For frames that have a fixed height due to other components, you will also need to purchase one spacer set located here for each arm.

econfly

Sounds like a cool rig econfly! I put 11x4.7 props on my rig. Flies really nice and super stable. Haven't had a chance to check the flight time yet, been rainy the last few days. I also plan on using my rig for photography (small camera).

I noticed that some of the screws that attach the bottom plate to the arms were missing and some were loose. I contacted ReadMadeRC and they said to use Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242.

One thing I really like about this build is how smooth it runs now. I don't know if it's the stiffness of the arms, the motors, or the props, but all together this combination is really working out well. Good note on the loctite. A screw on anything that flies, vibrates or goes bang needs a little blue loctite (and if substantial heat is present, go with the red stuff). One more nice thing about these aluminum arms is no worry about the interaction between the loctite and plastic.

Still looking for the height specs.

I'll measure it -- what height measurement are you looking for exactly?

One thing I really like about this build is how smooth it runs now. I don't know if it's the stiffness of the arms, the motors, or the props, but all together this combination is really working out well. Good note on the loctite. A screw on anything that flies, vibrates or goes bang needs a little blue loctite (and if substantial heat is present, go with the red stuff). One more nice thing about these aluminum arms is no worry about the interaction between the loctite and plastic.

Yeah I am running 11x5 props and are very happy with the stability ans smoothness. Just a note on loctite... i used the Red one and it is way to strong... i have had to take my MR to an engineering workshop to get them to remove the screws. Will be going to the Blue or nothing and checking them after each flight. Hopefully these arms become more readily available and perhaps therefore cheaper