Aeroxcraft Brushless Gopro Gimbal

B

Bengit

I have recieved a little more info from Rob about Tx connection which I'll post if you wish. My (poor) joke about the chinese was based on experience with rctimer (also building a rct800). I agree about the quality of AeroXcraft.
As a matter of interest I can velcro that 2S vertically onto the inside leg of the landing gear with it's base sitting on the landing tube - with a mini bugee making extra sure it goes nowhere, I use 4S 6500mah and get just 8 mins flight time. How do you get on?
If you don't mind me asking have you signed up to BNUC-S training course?

Please post any info that you have...

CrashMaster

I can I
How do you get on?
If you don't mind me asking have you signed up to BNUC-S training course?

I am fighting with the f550 just now and may restore the old Naza firmware as 3.12 has some serious problems. In fact am looking at other systems like the APM 2.5 because it has waypoint navigation too.
I did the BNCU-S ground school in March but until I have a machine reliable enough can't do the last part and get my license.
I have been crashing helis since 1986 so have been around the houses a few times. I retired 5 years ago so am in no hurry but would like it sorted sooner rather than later.

I can I

I am fighting with the f550 just now and may restore the old Naza firmware as 3.12 has some serious problems. In fact am looking at other systems like the APM 2.5 because it has waypoint navigation too.
I did the BNCU-S ground school in March but until I have a machine reliable enough can't do the last part and get my license.
I have been crashing helis since 1986 so have been around the houses a few times. I retired 5 years ago so am in no hurry but would like it sorted sooner rather than later.

Message from Rob

" Connect the RX output signal (usually white, orange or
yellow) to the A1 RC Pitch connector and 0v (usually black or brown) to
GND. Don't connect the RX power (red) to anything. "

I'm hoping the diag is attached - a first for me

have a BCS hobby store down the road so off to buy long lead. Will let you know how I get on

Also Crashmaster. I lost faith in DJI after replacing motors and esc's and still kept a lateral twitch (hex not me - although I was getting that way) replaced all with iPower and been fine since. Firmware has been good, holds position well, RTH perfect. Have done one informal job with pemission from ATC but now I have fitted an altimeter realise I may have been above the ceiling they gave me . . .

Attachments

• Brushless Gimbal Controller V3.jpg
    Brushless Gimbal Controller V3.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 229

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
Mine has arrived and yes I have been thrown by the 7.4v requirement. I am not sure of the amperages involved so am not risking using a regulator I have of anonymous manufacture. I have a 1000mw 7.4 Overlander for temporary use. I have told Rob that messing about with the Martinez board fills me with dread. The big positive is the quality of the product and the really good pictures shown in the demo video. I am sure all will be well soon (ish).

CrashMaster

Well I have fitted it all up and it works.... Very very smooth too and no jitter at all. The addition of a Lipo just for the gimbal is a little annoying. I have hooked up a 2c 850mah which only weighs 45grames but that is almost the weight of the camera. Anyway with the new gimbal and the battery I am saving 70g from the old one. If I can get into the software and change it to 3s then it is easy and a saving of another 45g. I had to make up a cable for the pitch but it works. If you are going to hook up the pitch to your TX be very careful - the images in the manual are not very clear but I worked it out from the visible pins to the left and realised that the gnd goes on the 3rd pin from the bottom and signal to the 2nd from bottom. The bottom pin is not used. I also had to make up a strap for the USB - luckily I already had a straight one in my spared box and wired it upto my EzOSD.
It is incredibly fast but the pitch is restricted even by putting my TX on Aux4 upto 150% outside the normal. I will probably have to adjust that from the software too.
There is an opportunity to save more weight because the fixing to the poles is about 1 inch longer than the previous verson... why?

Anyway weather permitting I will test it in-flight tomorrow and see how it goes.

I got my F550 to fly on the new Naza firmware today too. All gains run back to 100% then progressed 5% at a time and have it all set to 125, 125, 100,125, 80 80. As this is an AP platform I need it to be smooth so the two bottom are 80 and rudder is 100 this makes movement smoother. The wind was between 6 and 15 mph (quite gusty) so it got tested a little. Running 11.1 3300mah X 2. I also tried 14.8 4250mah and found it much more positive but very jumpy in the wind - not good for AP. The hold on GPS is very good with the machine sometimes wandering 5ft and back again in strong gusts. Height hold I am still working on as it appears to drop by about 10ft once the Lipos get below half power... This never happened with the old firmware. I am also using both DJI 1038 Props and some CF 1038 props. the CF ones were much quieter and in the gusts held better.

This was before fitting the new gimbal so no I didn't do some filming. I didn't even take the camera.

B

Bengit

Mine arrived today....gutted that I now have to wait for my 2s lipo to arrive. Going to spend the time linking the pitch control up. CrashMaster, will be careful with the pins, thanks for the warning. Is everyone waiting for the software from Rob, anyone found sw for the board elsewhere, I assume the board is V3?

Last edited:

CrashMaster

I found B-Gimbal 049AB-Gimbal 049A on the net the other day. I will boot into Windoze tomorrow and see if that is the software needed. All Rob needs to do is post a link for us and we can then play.

Only got a couple of hours from the 2s 1300ma powering the gimble. Tends to be connected all the time to keep the camera cage horizontal whilst setting up.
The video is smooth . . .

CrashMaster

Just had a very long e-mail from Rob explaining about the firmware and software so am going to have a closer look on Monday. All his explanation was in Windows but being a Linux user was pleased to find that the primary coding is Linux so am going to use that.
From Rob
Housing
To turn the housing over, all you have to do is take the sensor off and refasten it the other way up, so that the components on the sensor board are facing downwards.

Software and voltages
The software is here:
https://code.google.com/p/brushless-gimbal/downloads/list

The version loaded on the board is 048. If you download the files _048.rar and extract them (winrar is an app that can extract them) , there's a GUI for that version. bl-tool2_048_AHa.exe

To change the input voltage it's a case of changing the MaxPWM settings for each axis. If you increase the input voltage then you need to decrease maxPWM, and vice-versa.

Tilt
The tilt can be increased to 90deg but the software that's loaded (v48) can't handle it properly. There's some new software (BruGi_049A_r45) for it than works but unfortunately the tuning is different so I've got to find the best settings again. I did some limited testing with it yesterday and it was working well. I'm going into work tomorrow to get it sorted and tested.

This road may be beyond most normal users but having a little experience with open source stuff and done some coding in the past I will have a go at this. I will try and document the process if anyone else is using Linux and send the details to Rob so he can offer others the option to customers to.
It is worth noting that most open source stuff is coded using Linux in the first instance. The give away is the packages are packaged in .raw files - a native compression file format for Linux.

I really need to alter the voltage to 3S and increase the gimbal movement from 45 to 90 degrees so have no option and I suspect that Rob may have to consider offering this to customers in the future. Most people who will buy this gimbal will be wanting it for AP and not FPV flying.

CrashMaster

Only got a couple of hours from the 2s 1300ma powering the gimble. Tends to be connected all the time to keep the camera cage horizontal whilst setting up.
The video is smooth . . .
I have 3 7.4v 850mAh batteries but am going to try and run this from my main flight batteries. If you used 1200 mAh in 2 hours that means the consumption by the board and the motors must be between 500-600mAh that would mean a consumption of around 60-80mAh per flight. Less than my AV downlink.

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
Thanks to you all your work in pulling this together. I hope to have the confidence to attempt the updates after reading these postings. I am really keen to get the gimbal into the air but know I must take it gently and methodically. My dream was plug and play but I did not even have the (power) plug or the power!

B

Bengit

Just had a very long e-mail from Rob explaining about the firmware and software so am going to have a closer look on Monday. All his explanation was in Windows but being a Linux user was pleased to find that the primary coding is Linux so am going to use that.

This road may be beyond most normal users but having a little experience with open source stuff and done some coding in the past I will have a go at this. I will try and document the process if anyone else is using Linux and send the details to Rob so he can offer others the option to customers to.
It is worth noting that most open source stuff is coded using Linux in the first instance. The give away is the packages are packaged in .raw files - a native compression file format for Linux.

I really need to alter the voltage to 3S and increase the gimbal movement from 45 to 90 degrees so have no option and I suspect that Rob may have to consider offering this to customers in the future. Most people who will buy this gimbal will be wanting it for AP and not FPV flying.

I have a feeling I may be returning this gimbal, I require 90deg in pitch and did not expect to be messing around with software/firmware, expected a plug and play system. I suppose it is my fault, should have waited for people to beta test and report their findings....I fall for it every time..

CrashMaster

I have a feeling I may be returning this gimbal, I require 90deg in pitch and did not expect to be messing around with software/firmware, expected a plug and play system. I suppose it is my fault, should have waited for people to beta test and report their findings....I fall for it every time..
Don't jump too fast. I haven't got into the software yet because the linux driver for the java app does not work. I may have to boot into Windose and have another go.
Rob sent me quite detailed instructions but also indicated there may be another solution by swapping out the board for another.
In the meantime I have put a wedge under the sensor board on top of the camera cage. The sensors are all in that board so the gimbal keeps it level. The effect is that by lifting the front edge by about 30 deg I can now look down with the Aux4 chanel on my Tx.
View attachment 12124 View attachment 12125 View attachment 12126 View attachment 12127
Sorry but my phone camera is not very good

Attachments

• IMAG0693.jpg
    IMAG0693.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 312
  • IMAG0689.jpg
    IMAG0689.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 285
  • IMAG0691.jpg
    IMAG0691.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 301
  • IMAG0692.jpg
    IMAG0692.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 349
Last edited by a moderator:

SjaakZwart

Does anyone know if this gimbal is compatible with the landing gear from quadframe.com? Or will it be a DIY? I've had contact with AeroxCraft: they don't know.

CrashMaster

Does anyone know if this gimbal is compatible with the landing gear from quadframe.com? Or will it be a DIY? I've had contact with AeroxCraft: they don't know.
Judging by the frames on quadframe.com, no. However, with a little work and some hand crafting you may be able to use the gimbal by attaching it directly to the underside. The top mounts are simply held onto the gimbal with 4 bolts and could be removed and attached to any flat surface. The only way to find out is to do it. You could always make up a mock top plate and see how it could be fixed. I have no doubt if you e-mailed Rob he would send you the plan so you could make up a life size copy and see if you can fix it. Remember that the mounting at this point is where the vibration proofing is by using bolts though the centre of either rubber or silicone sleeves.
If it is a simple job Rob may even produce the pieces for you to use for the mounts.

SMP

Not sure how big the gimbal is but... We have the musky gimbal which is fairly large; fits Nex/550D and was too big to get full 30 degree roll with my Aeroxcraft landing gear on the 550. We ended up buying two sets of LG from Quadframe.us - the 215 and 300. Turns out the 215 was a perfect fit and the 300 is larger than my retracts on the Skyjib!! The 215 was cheap, light and went together well. It's similar in quality and construction to the Aeroxcraft and is a larger alternative. http://www.quadframe.us/collections/landing-gear/products/215mm-clearance-landing-legs one advantage is that it incorporates a battery tray which is a bit harder to use in practice with the straps but does move the gimbal and batteries to the center of gravity directly under the airframe.

B

Bengit

Received 2s lipo today, changed connectors, fitted to F550 (Aeroxcraft Landing gear), straight from box works well. Needs a slight bit of tweeking when software/manual is complete and looking forward to the 90deg fix (not connected tx to pitch yet). Overall am very impressed with build and first results.......No jello either, not in direct sunlight but looks promising. Thanks Rob

SjaakZwart

What is the distance between de two holes (with the gromets) in the top plate (exactly!)? Maybe it fits on my landing gear from quadframe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

B

Bengit

What is the distance between de two holes (with the gromets) in the top plate (exactly!)? Maybe it fits on my landing gear from quadframe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Will check for you..