About to take a Wood BAT to my WKMCompass Calibration issues on a "was working" WKM

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
O I had my WKM on an Octo.. no issues. Would calibrate the compass in 1 try every time.
Slapped it on a HEX and it will not get past the Green and Yellow flashing "compass problem" lights.

One time in the house it went into normal modes, and allowed me to calibrate the compass INDOORS.
SO I got excited and went outside.. GREEN and YELLOW... compass calibration failure every time.

The puck is around 5" above the top plate of a RC Rotors Hex frame. Batteries to the right and left.

I had ferrite rings on the ESC's and I removed those and that is when the WKM let me calibrate it inside.
Have not put them back on, so I thought that was the issue. What the heck else could be causing this?

I got so mad I just tried to fire up the motors with the green and yellow flashing, it took off and flew pretty good in manual,
so I know everything is working.. just this damn GPS/Compass.

Again, this is/was a working WKM, just removed from an octo and transferred to a hex , no crash no weirdness...

ANY THOUGHTS!?!

View attachment 18559

View attachment 18560

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 379
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 452
Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Did you try the calibration with keys/cell phone in pocket? I always thought that seemed extreme - but it effected the calibration of the Phantom2 (for the review) and a Naza M. Bart told me even doing it near a car could hinder cal. Also, I had to do the more complex (longer) desktop calibration in the assistant to get it to finally get off the failure colors and successfully calibrate.

You probably know all this - but it's all I've got.

Who knew keys and a cell phone could be so ornery...

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Good points, but yea.. I'm home working, I'm in soccer shorts and a T-shirt.. Freeballin... no pockets (I know TMI)

This is driving me batty.. and the thing is the WKM GPS cable is not THAT long so it's not like I can move the puck down the arm that far.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Where is this? I'll fire it up and look...

It's in assistant for the Naza - there are 2. One is called basic and the other is called something else. "Advanced" maybe??? It takes a while. I know it's a different system - bit for me on the Naza (2 actually) it took doing that advanced cal to "knock" it to a place where it finally accepted the outdoor calibration.

if WKM doesn't have it - maybe reinstall the firmware???

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Not seeing it on the WKM GUI. I also just stuck the puck on a 12" post.. still nada. Starting to think the puck went bad.

kloner

Aerial DP
is the gps showing up in the assistant under upgrade? it is a common thing for these to die but usually they kinda show face right there by not showing up

I have had weird compass errors with superX with a puck like you have it in the middle... might try plugging it into a different buss port if not already done

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
is the gps showing up in the assistant under upgrade? it is a common thing for these to die but usually they kinda show face right there by not showing up

I have had weird compass errors with superX with a puck like you have it in the middle... might try plugging it into a different buss port if not already done

Does WKM have individual Upgrades? I'm not super experienced in WKM. I only bought DJI stuff after Colin was fired.
Please enlighten me.

kloner

Aerial DP
depends on the firmware version.... look at info and see if it shows each piece. the new firmwares have it

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
How are you trying to do the calibration? Enter calibration mode, turn horizontally then do the vertical part without touching any switches?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
How are you trying to do the calibration? Enter calibration mode, turn horizontally then do the vertical part without touching any switches?

Yep. Like I said I have calibrated this sucker on my octo with no issues, and have calibrated my A2 with no issues... this thing enters calibration (blue) turn clockwise flat, turns (green) nose down clockwise again.. and RED flashers... will not calibrate no matter what I do. And when I fire it up it goes straight to yellow/green blinkers. I can fly it in Manual or atti though even with the green flashes.. not the most confidence inspiring thing to fly with green and yellow flashes.. but it does fly. This was going to carry my M5, so I need to get it working. I just asked a buddy to see if I could plug in his GPS and see if my puck went dead.

Old Man

Sleepy,

You know me as Tired Old Man and we met at a Lodi Huckfest about 3 years back. I had a similar problem with a new A2 and ended up buying a Wookong M in oder to get my octo in the air. If they hadn't been going at a discount at an area dealer it would have gotten a Super X. I've been trying to work the issue with DJI for about a month with no joy. The vendor, UAV Products, finally replied after 1 phone call and 4 emails, and probably only did that because one of my partners found out the name of one of them and a personal e-mail. The response was I had to deal through the DJI customer service warranty system, meaning I will have to send the controller back to China.

Here's the kicker, DJI makes you pay for parts replacement while under warranty. Don't use a hammer, it will cost you too much to get it back in shape good enough to sell it to someone with more risk tolerance.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
What firmware are you on?

In the assistant have you checked to see if your mode switch goes to GPS,ATTI,Manual?

You must have the full tavel on the mode switch to enable the compass calibration.

I am guessing you are on 5.24 or 6. Green and yellow does not mean compass failure it means bad attitude/IMU data lost, if the XYZ's are not perfect you can also get this.

I would not use anything higher than 5.20. After that version they stuck in restrictions and the autoswitching to atto if GPS lost which in my experience does all kind of weird things.

5.20 is good.

Dave

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Just reading through the manual, it states that the nose of the machine must be pointed downwards when doing the second part of the calibration dance- have you given this a go?

Flylite

Oh wow, nose down. I have always done this by dropping over the multi to the right hand side, never nose down.
I'm going to check the A2 calib to as I'm sure that was also to the side on the second step of the dance.
Good spot.