A2 FC Firmware 2.3 - Here We ALL go Again

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Soler

Hows you.. Have you seem the pics from the LMA event?

Were flying there next weekend. You Fancy a job in the pits! Burgers included

D
In fast forward flight did is suddenly yaw, one way or the other and come to a stop, I have had this on occasion, I am using the 8FGS as a transmitter

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Have put another 5 flights on the S800 Evo and A2 on 2.3

All fine apart from a hickup on the last.
Seemed to loose all input while flying fast forward, did not see any sat drop - system was seeing 14 at the time.
Was flying in AttiGps and flicking to manual did not give me back control but hitting the failsafe did, was odd.

flying fast, while also in GPS mode, puts a lot of demand on the processors and the A2 may be choking on the info it's trying to keep up with. not saying it is, just saying it's a lot of information for the processors to deal with.

Flylite

um thats spooky this a very similar thing just happened to our 1000, found out its coming from our transmitter not having the blue light illuminate occasionally when linking to A2, super sketch do yourself and all of us a favor and tell us what transmitter your using, if its a futaba 14sg you may be asking for trouble :/...

8FG (S update) :/

In fast forward flight did is suddenly yaw, one way or the other and come to a stop, I have had this on occasion, I am using the 8FGS as a transmitter

Ouch snap.

Please tell me you have iOSD!

Yes, would not fly without it but I checked logs and could not see any data even though the file was big...

To mitigate this - are you guys now using a separate Rx (S-BUS)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
8FG (S update) :/

Ouch snap.

Yes, would not fly without it but I checked logs and could not see any data even though the file was big...

To mitigate this - are you guys now using a separate Rx (S-BUS)?

You are joking right! The SBUS is even worse. TOTALLY unreliable and hates any temperature change. Weird but true.

Flylite

I have never had an issue with S-Bus and used in many multi's and fixed wing in various climates - some extreme.

soler

Aye Up Soler

Hows you.. Have you seem the pics from the LMA event?

Were flying there next weekend. You Fancy a job in the pits! Burgers included

D

hi dave, Have not seen the pictures send me the link. Which day you back at the LMA, I may pop up just for a burger!

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I am now on test flight 10 or 11....... so far so good for the most part. Below is a video from a previous test flight.
The one issue that seems to crop up again and again is that the MR will sometimes tip over after landing but only in GPS mode.
It lands, it continues to idle, then two or three motors start to rev up on their own and over it goes.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I am now on test flight 10 or 11....... so far so good for the most part. Below is a video from a previous test flight.
The one issue that seems to crop up again and again is that the MR will sometimes tip over after landing but only in GPS mode.
It lands, it continues to idle, then two or three motors start to rev up on their own and over it goes.
graydon,

landing it with GPS on may cause it to tip if the heli is continuing to try to fly to the point that it wants to be at even though it's on the ground. it would be like landing with a right roll input and a forward pitch input at the same time instead of centered sticks at touchdown.

seems like a plausible explanation, no?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Frankly, I don't see why folks appear to be using the GPS function so often. Why? Regular ol' ATTI mode is fine for all day, unless you need to stop and scratch yer bum with your 'cyclic' hand. Same with my MK airframes. The only time I ever use GPS hold is to stop to allow time to concentrate on framing and snapping a photo.

All these sudden bad behaviour A2 issues that are being reported, are they happening with GPS engaged or just any old time?

Quinton

Frankly, I don't see why folks appear to be using the GPS function so often. Why? Regular ol' ATTI mode is fine for all day, unless you need to stop and scratch yer bum with your 'cyclic' hand. Same with my MK airframes. The only time I ever use GPS hold is to stop to allow time to concentrate on framing and snapping a photo.

All these sudden bad behaviour A2 issues that are being reported, are they happening with GPS engaged or just any old time?

Maybe I am just a bad flier or not experienced enough, but personally trying to land sometimes in 15-20mph winds, especially in the UK for me simply is not possible unless in GPS mode, it just holds it level for a few seconds so I can get down safely without tipping.
I have £4k of multorotor and £7k of gimbal/camera floating a few feet off the ground when trying to land, the more help I receive the better, and if thats in GPS mode, so be it.

I know I hear people say GPS is bad, but for me personally, I have not had any problems landing with it, I see it as a tool to help, not hinder.
I have never had a flip or any problems during landing (touch wood), so I will continue to use it when needed.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
The GPS v atti v manual debate always makes me chuckle. There is no 'bad' you use that which makes your life easier. I can fly in manual without any problem but I never use it. I use GPS a lot because on a windy day when the director wants you to hold a certain position (and this is most shoots in the UK) then GPS makes it not only easier but quicker to achieve.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
From what I have read here on MRF it appears most of the issues with latest A2 firmware are related in some way to the GPS, e.g., suddenly lost or erratic GPS signals etc. With POI and many other functions including RTH depending upon GPS, loss of GPS is an issue. Also the GPS/digital compass shares a Canbus port. Unreliable canbus port sharing GPS, digital compass and IMU spells trouble - IMHO. hence why it is so important to make it reliable including use of "you-know-what" to make it stick :dejection:

Recently we hand launched and hand retrieved from a boat, S1000 and A2. We used full manual to take off so that we could control it better and then came back and hand retrieved in GPS mode. The A2 and S1000 performed great. It was also really windy up to 15 - 20 knots.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Finally some encouraging feedback on the DJI A2..... sounds like you are confident to say the least..... no rogue waves means no missing fingers for fish food! :tennis:

Recently we hand launched and hand retrieved from a boat, S1000 and A2. We used full manual to take off so that we could control it better and then came back and hand retrieved in GPS mode. The A2 and S1000 performed great. It was also really windy up to 15 - 20 knots.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Maybe I am just a bad flier or not experienced enough ...

Not wishing to retread old ground but in my experience these airframes fly smoother in windy conditions without GPS. Position Holding is a different matter. That is one valid use of the GPS function. But flying with GPS engaged is not as smooth as without. The onboard FC gyros are obviously much more aware of what the airframe attitude is and react far quicker than the pilot. This all sounds very reassuring and good, but in windy conditions the airframe under GPS Hold will react and return to position .. drift .. react .. return .. drift .. react .. return. It looks more like a fight with the wind because the FC does not have the intelligence to apply slightly less, but constant pressure.

Whereas the pilot in ATTI can use a little judgement and 'feel' how much stick pressure is required to keep the airframe steady and more or less hold the stick in that position. The result is invariably much smoother flying.

Of course there are other factors in the mix including FC gains, transmitter settings and stick spring tensions.

roryhinds

Just had my A2 SkyJib crash on me. No apparent reason what so ever. Was hovering and it went randomly out of control to the left and right then drove itself into the ground.

DJI suck. Period.

I've downgraded to version 2.1 and flown the A2 on my little Hexi F550 and it seems to fly as expected now.
DJI please sort out version 2.3 and stop making these issues.

Will report back with more findings on 2.1

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Dont hope too much Rory, the crash you had on 2.3 sounds exactly like the one I just avoided and we had loads of similar instances on 2.1 as well. One of the DJI guys is currently investigating the cause of my mishap so once I know what the outcome of that is I will keep you posted.

roryhinds

So you almost crashed on 2.1?

I have flown many times with 2.1 and had perfect flights. I read another user who swore by 2.1 and he claimed to have flown 200 times with the Epic and not had any issues so I'm really hoping I can trust 2.1.

What the hell is DJI doing to us, this isn't a game and there are seriously expensive gear at risk when flying a Red Dragon camera, not to mention carbon fibre frames and God forbid injury to people.