A2 FC Firmware 2.3 - Here We ALL go Again

Old Man

Define "a lot of throttle" please. It does require more than 50% even if you have a perfect half throttle hover.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Approx 80% throttle... All my previous experiences with a custom 800mm Hex with 420 KV motors and same props + WKM was so much more responsive at takeoff.

Define "a lot of throttle" please. It does require more than 50% even if you have a perfect half throttle hover.

Andy T

Bart, even though the settings survived, I would recommend that you reset to default, do the advanced IMU calibration, reset all your settings or load from an exported version, map and calibrate your channels and Tx. After the Compass calibration, you should be good to go.

Is the advance IMU Calibration any different than the IMU calibration described in the A2 manual?

Thanks,
Andy

Flylite

Crazy day, everything broke!

Setting up old firmware (5.20) today bricked our WKM - back to china it goes... (was on our S800 Evo)...

Decided to give the A2 another few packs on the HT450 on 2.3 before putting back into the Evo, got to the field and it was giving an error, needed to be recalibrated. We did the dance and successfully calibrated.
First flight, took off fine, seemed a little jittery so I tuned her down and settled her, pushed forward out of a stable hover and off she went heading back to China... Immediately selected down to manual control - no effect, clicked back up to atti and then GPS atti and flicked over the RTH switch - no response. By this time the frame was a good 400m out and picking up pace. Last ditch attempt - powered off Tx.
Luckily she slowed and then slowly came down and landed in the tall grass. Spent the next hour looking for it...

Airframe was fine no damage.
Went back and hooked it up to the pc, all settings normal. I redid calib on IMU and then GPS/Mag dance and power recycled.
Flew 4 more packs, no major drama's though I got 3-4mins out of packs I usually get around 9mins out of for what ever reason, need to double check voltage calib but it looks sane at 12.3v for a fresh pack.

Just sharing.

kloner

Aerial DP
are you putting the throttle at mid stick before clicking finish in the assistant calibration?

Approx 80% throttle... All my previous experiences with a custom 800mm Hex with 420 KV motors and same props + WKM was so much more responsive at takeoff.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Yes....
And I am sure that it is not an A2 firmware issue but a configuration issue.

As it is back in my shop for BGC adjustments (raining again) I will tie it down and test/adjust DJI Assistant motor idle speed away from "recommended" to see what happens.

are you putting the throttle at mid stick before clicking finish in the assistant calibration?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Some of the older ESCs need to have the throttle range setting configured in to the ESC such as the Turnigy Plush as shown here:
View attachment 18741

But I have never considered adding this step since I have never had any issues previously with the throttle range using DJI FCs and Turnigy Multistar ESCs.
Also it seems that DJI WKM and A2 built these ranging options in to their Assistant software anyway..... unlike the XAircraft configuration software that requires this to be done manually with RC system and bypassing their FC altogether.

So is it possible, that I need to reconfigure all my ESCs for the correct throttle speed range?

Attachments

• t-range.JPG
    t-range.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 376

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Pretty much from the heart, Dave. With occasional personal perspectives you have otherwise laid it all out objectively over two lengthy threads and the lack of response and support from responsible parties is shameful, particularly considering how long this has been going on.

I wonder how long it will take the UK authorities, if they ever have the balls, to finally oblige manufacturers to assume a hefty degree of after sales responsibility. Because, as you point out, we are professionally obliged to comply with the Rules of the Air and certain standards of safety and therefore by extension, so should the manufacturer. After all, full size aircraft manufacturers are. Unfortunately, although the Chinese have and always have had the moral scruples of cow pats, they also have all the money, so I fear they will remain aloof for quite some time as so many governments fawn and grovel.

Sorry dude and best of luck sorting it out.

Rock On Tommy! ;-) Down but NEVER BEAT, well not as long as I have a pulse.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Test flight 4: Here is my DJI A2 flying on my Cinestar 8 (long arms)........ very stable and excellent control of altitude as well. All is well so far but I am still flying with some fear and trepidation in view of all the negative reports I am seeing here on MRF!!!

I typically get GPS lock on 15+ satellites. The aerial video using GoPro3+ with 2 axis Martinez BGC system also looks good. If the success continues, I will be putting a new BGC system c/w GH4 onboard for some serious Aerial video work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
is there known bugs with 2.1?

fook yes! Unless you are one of the lucky ones with a stable unit.

Sorry Steve but it is a risk that no thought through and crosschecked safety case can say safe too fly.

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Test flight 4: Here is my DJI A2 flying on my Cinestar 8 (long arms)........ very stable and excellent control of altitude as well. All is well so far but I am still flying with some fear and trepidation in view of all the negative reports I am seeing here on MRF!!!

I typically get GPS lock on 15+ satellites. The aerial video using GoPro3+ with 2 axis Martinez BGC system also looks good. If the success continues, I will be putting a new BGC system c/w GH4 onboard for some serious Aerial video work.

Good luck.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?20337-A2-fails-back-to-square-one

gtranquilla

RadioActive
to all.... don't forget to affix the canbus connectors into the FC using a hot glue gun as explained in the DJI A2 documentation. Otherwise you might find GPS is not as reliable etc.:dread:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
to all.... don't forget to affix the canbus connectors into the FC using a hot glue gun as explained in the DJI A2 documentation. Otherwise you might find GPS is not as reliable etc.:dread:
EHHHHH! Hotglue.. FFS please point me in the direction of the instructions that point to me having to 'HOTGLUE' connections on the "impossibly Precise A2"

Dave

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Page 6 in newest version 1.16! called hot melt.... see image here. I missed it the first 3 times I read the documentation but noticed that the Canbus connectors seems quite loose.
View attachment 18798:highly_amused:

Attachments

• hot-glue.JPG
    hot-glue.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 394

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i had mentioned doing this in the NAZA review (or an A2 thread, I forget) because of all of the plugged connections. even the most expensive aircraft grade cannon plugs can have loose connections after being in service for a while so a bit of glue once all of the connections are complete is cheap insurance to make sure vibrations don't weaken contacts over time.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I had just written a flaming great long reply to this but the forum crashed on me and wiped my reply…I think..

TOTAL Bollocks. WHY should the most 'Impossibly Precise Controller' need hot glue?

So Mr CAA /FAA official.. 'yeh sorry buddy but the hot glue is required to ensure the systems integrity' so does my all singing all dancing multi rotor multi thousands of investment pass the CAA/FAA airworthiness test?

Guess what the EXPERT is going to say.

Oye ye pass 100%… every time. if he say that he is on illegal drugs! 'HOT GLUE MY ARSE'

OK EVERY DJI First tier dealer jump in here, UK, USA, EU, AU, anyone that sells DJI and tell us all the A2 is fit for purpose and you have NOT had any client A2 failures. WELL that is of cause they ain't hot glued all their connections

Flylite

I understand your feeling but mitigation is the No.1 rule, if you can secure something further then do it. I agree that DJI should use a better connector but that's what we have to work with at the moment...

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Again, yep thats fine for hobby usage, BUT as a 'Impossibly Precise Professional FC' Hot glue… no sorry its not acceptable.

Flylite I am sure your system is totally predictable and has never caused you an issue. What we need to know is age and even better a serial number of everything. I would like to start making DB of serial numbers and user issues/ no issues.

Dave