A2 FC Firmware 2.3 - Here We ALL go Again

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
So what is the general verdict on 2.3? I still have 2.1 and although it has not done a lot, what it has done has been trouble free - so far! The trouble is the general consensus seems to be that everything is great ... until it isn't - for no good reason. So if 2.3 has cracked this maybe/never/perhaps behaviour I'll stick it in there.

Flylite

Droider, my systems are commercial, predictable to a degree but that does not stop one planning for the worst case scenario and mitigating any risk.
Again I agree that Hot glue may not be the best in this case, ultimately proper latching plug and socket but we do not have this where we need it at this point in time.
I personally use zip tie and hot glue in places, I can see if a zip tie has moved or if a blob of hot glue is unsecured/ripped.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Droider, my systems are commercial, predictable to a degree but that does not stop one planning for the worst case scenario and mitigating any risk.
Again I agree that Hot glue may not be the best in this case, ultimately proper latching plug and socket but we do not have this where we need it at this point in time.
I personally use zip tie and hot glue in places, I can see if a zip tie has moved or if a blob of hot glue is unsecured/ripped.

WKM has the same plugs no issue, no hot glue/ziptie requirements.

I respect your input but I cannot build or base a safety case required in the Uk for commercial operations based on hot glue and zip ties.

Happy flying

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
So what is the general verdict on 2.3? I still have 2.1 and although it has not done a lot, what it has done has been trouble free - so far! The trouble is the general consensus seems to be that everything is great ... until it isn't - for no good reason. So if 2.3 has cracked this maybe/never/perhaps behaviour I'll stick it in there.

Aye up MF.

2.3 is great. I have reported this and as far as I am concerned its fookin amazing…. well apart from my GPS issues. Vertical hold is nowt short of 'impossibly precise' 3ft off the deck full stick and its does not budge, mo where near as fast as WKM in GPS but ten times more precise as far as altitude is concerned. Everything is awesome, and I mean everything. Apart that is from GPS reliability and RTH.

RTH ia super aggressive when signal is lost, but it does come home. For heaver lifters this is a bit of an issue but for a F450/550 no problems.

My problem is GPS reliability and the affects to the FC when GSP is lost. Thats when the whole system falls down. For you it should be ok because you are an experienced pilot and can probably land a craft in manual mode BUT for guys/gals on here with out that instant ability to swap from laid back GPS/Atti mode to full on almost dead stick wobbly manual its not going to be a pretty site, S1000 fitting into a carrier bag ia not a good result! and thats the result if and most importantly WHEN the A2 GPS/FC/IMU or what ever the combination is that fails happens it will try and get to a hemisphere well south of where you are flying… well thats if you aint MombassaFlash, Carapau, Eyeball or any other seasoned RC vet on here that can remember when every stick input had an effect that had to responded to by another input!

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Man

Again, yep thats fine for hobby usage, BUT as a 'Impossibly Precise Professional FC' Hot glue… no sorry its not acceptable.
Dave

Dave,

Not quite true. Although you and I pretty much agree on the quality level of the A2, on the hot melt thing you're off a little bit. I fly giant scale RC, and have for decades. I also used to fly military/government grade UAV's and have a little over 2200 hours of flight time as a flight and sensor operator. Now I just work on them. Hot melt glue is used quite often to provide a better set to connector pins. Hobby grade and JST type connectors just aren't all that secure, and as mentioned, a well used Cannon plug will show abuse after awhile. However, typically those using Cannons are working at more professional levels and replace them when they start to get ratty. No excuse for using hot melt there. One more benefit is moisture proofing at the back of connectors. I've seen many, many JST type connectors that would not have turned green from corrosion had they had hot melt applied. I can't believe we use low quality IT plugs intended for the inside of telephones and laptops for flight critical purposes, but that's what we do. All the more reason to use the hot melt.

Look at hot melt glue as a type of insurance. Cheap insurance at that. The A2 needs all the help it can get, and anything extra might help. Probably not but for those that elect to go the A2 route it's one more satin security blanket.

Pat

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
WKM has the same plugs no issue, no hot glue/ziptie requirements.

I respect your input but I cannot build or base a safety case required in the Uk for commercial operations based on hot glue and zip ties.

Happy flying

Dave

how do you justify servo plugs or other types without an integrated locking retainer? friction is ok or is there a more demanding spec?

fdproductions

FD Productions
how do you justify servo plugs or other types without an integrated locking retainer? friction is ok or is there a more demanding spec?

Bartman, great point theres no justification especially at the price point of this flight controller, just to let you know what I do which isn't the prettiest but definitely does work and holds and secures, is put a small dab of black goo on the outside of the connectors to hoist secure the connection heres a link to what I use... http://www.amazon.com/SHOE-GOO-BLACK-3-7-OZ/dp/B002CXVG10 generally i also use that to coat any solder points as well.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
............Look at hot melt glue as a type of insurance. ...............

that's the point, it's cheap insurance. given that much more expensive connectors succumb to vibration effects, given that we know our heli's produce a pretty fair amount of airframe vibration....it just makes sense to add that little dab at each connection point to keep things as vibration free as possible. if a connection is approved without the glue dab why wouldn't it be approvable with the glue?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Whereas the GPS was an optional upgrade for some time now on the NAZA and WKM, it seems that it should always be included with the A2.
And as such the reason for the external canbus port coming from the IMU could be eliminated such that the GPS is hard wired directly in to the IMU.
That would reduce the possible points of canbus communication failure from 2 down to one!!!!

Just a thought.:tennis:

Nikb27

Just wanted to throw something into the mix. I understand that Manufacturers saying add Hot glue is all a bit nuts, they should be proper connectors to start with. I am not a fan of Hot melt Glue as I have always found it to go brittle. With our machines wobbling all over the skies, the vibration and high frequency harmonics will be be immense on all the components. I have and I can't recommend it enough that everybody uses RTV3140 coating. It's great stuff, it's remains flexible whilst holding strong. It's really good at Insulation and bonding. I've used it on my S800 Evo on all the connectors and I even put a very small amount against the sides of the boxes (flight controller, iosd etc) just as a precaution. It's not cheap but compared to the cost we invest on our machines it's a worthwhile investment.

here's the data sheet:
http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/default.aspx?R=109EN

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I am up to test flight number 7..... all functions tested to date are working just fine.

Good. Now I have someone to blame when it goes wrong :).

I did not suffer any ill effects with 2.1 but on the strength of good reports here, with the one notable exception of THIS, I have upgraded to 2.3. Tests will start tomorrow with the forcasted sunshine.

Flylite

Have put another 5 flights on the S800 Evo and A2 on 2.3

All fine apart from a hickup on the last.
Seemed to loose all input while flying fast forward, did not see any sat drop - system was seeing 14 at the time.
Was flying in AttiGps and flicking to manual did not give me back control but hitting the failsafe did, was odd.

fdproductions

FD Productions
um thats spooky this a very similar thing just happened to our 1000, found out its coming from our transmitter not having the blue light illuminate occasionally when linking to A2, super sketch do yourself and all of us a favor and tell us what transmitter your using, if its a futaba 14sg you may be asking for trouble :/...

Seemed to loose all input while flying fast forward, did not see any sat drop - system was seeing 14 at the time.
Was flying in AttiGps and flicking to manual did not give me back control but hitting the failsafe did, was odd.

soler

In fast forward flight did is suddenly yaw, one way or the other and come to a stop, I have had this on occasion, I am using the 8FGS as a transmitter

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Please tell me you have iOSD!