A2 2.2 Upgrade Guinea Pig

brutis

Its gets sats quick one power cycle t then the next PwrCycle it gets all sats like never! Dji are ****e ay? Xair craft superX the same time but started pwr cycle in the bloody garage ok.... guess what All sats and RTH ready in 2 min! No joke.... 1/3 of the price of the Dji A2Fc and 100% confidence in SuperX while flying relaxed...

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Well, I have been continuing to rag my 550 around. I have been bumping it off the ground whilst in flight, conducting touch and gos with it just as a fixed wing aircraft would ie skidding the 550 along tarmac before taking off again, flying into and out of woods to test GPS/Atti automatic change overs, descending from 200ft with the throttle at zero, flying at full tilt in Atti out to about 450m away and then hitting the go home switch etc etc. So far, the A2 on 2.3 has been rock solid. I am not endorsing it yet though until I have done a good 50 or so flights on it and I am about half way there at the moment. However, I did get a bit bold yesterday and flew by beloved Gryphon 3 times and as per the 550 it flew very well. Ill keep you guys in the Rembrandt.

fdproductions

FD Productions
:cower::nonchalance::nonchalance::nonchalance::nonchalance::nonchalance::nonchalance::nonchalance::nonchalance::nonchalance::nonchalance::nonchalance::nonchalance::nonchalance::applouse:

Amazing Lefebvre simply well done.

How exactly is it unmature? I have 5 of them going, and they all just work. I have one machine that I use for mapping that has more than 5 hours of airtime, and 50+ km in full hand-off auto mode flight, without a single issue.

Another one is flying a 17lb AUW 600 size helicopter with a Nex. Another is on a 450 heli, capable of acrobatics, and Tx-off RTL.

The system does require a higher level of knowledge for the user, but I don't think it's fair to call it unmature.

Last edited by a moderator:

brutis

to me the x aircraft stuff looks like dji but with a different name...
Hmmm Why make a comment like that? Im not even going to ask if u have flown or seen a SuperX...
Bro the FC Housing is similar but Im telling u that is where the similarities end! system is completely different. Its is simplified and just works Rock Solid, You dont have to set how many cm the position of the Imu or Gps puck is from the COG.
U dont have to set any measurements just point the small black arrow to the front of the Rig and ur good to go.... No crap that easy!!
The amount of time Ive wasted on reconfig of the A2 POS because Dji and dealers blame the user first and make u prove it before they even look into any problems is so stupid and illogical its backwards! Its a joke that is so ridiculous it is not even funny.. It makes me mad so mad even writing this I just realized is a complete waste of my bloody time!!!! Dji can go eat a D#$K!!

brutis

The Pixhawk probably is the better of the bunch, but it has a bit of a steeper learning curve. (But really, it is up to the user to learn by Reading and testing carefully).

However, there seem to have been some crashes. Of course, it could have been user error/hardware malfunction, and extreme testing of a alpha/beta firmware. I've been following drones-discuss every day for some months, so I know there are new functions added, and they sometimes have bugs that are later fixed. It is constantly evolving, and that is a good thing, and I like to praise every developer who tirelessly work on the Project and giving back to the Community, you included R_Lefebvre. But for the non-developer end user, it is a bit more difficult to find the "sweet spot" firmware and settings. Should one go for Stable, or has 3.2RC's evolved enough and is considered better due to the new functions for instance?

I will soon test my F550 with the Pixhawk, and when I have learned how it works, I will probably move it to a S800. I look very much forward to Pixhawks evolvement.

P.s. Very nice video, and really cool GCS :)
Mate if I could get my hands on a Pixhawk I would be all over it. lol. If you are into Android Os and Pc tinkering Setting up the Pixhawk wouldn't be too much hassle.
Ive been trying to get a Pixhawk unit here in Aus for ages now, probably should of sourced it O.S? Where did u purchase urs from?

Last edited by a moderator:

surfab

Hmmm Why make a comment like that? Im not even going to ask if u have flown or seen a SuperX...
Bro the FC Housing is similar but Im telling u that is where the similarities end! system is completely different. Its is simplified and just works Rock Solid, You dont have to set how many cm the position of the Imu or Gps puck is from the COG.
U dont have to set any measurements just point the small black arrow to the front of the Rig and ur good to go.... No crap that easy!!
The amount of time Ive wasted on reconfig of the A2 POS because Dji and dealers blame the user first and make u prove it before they even look into any problems is so stupid and illogical its backwards! Its a joke that is so ridiculous it is not even funny.. It makes me mad so mad even writing this I just realized is a complete waste of my bloody time!!!! Dji can go eat a D#$K!!

after doing more research I totally agree with you, that was just a quick assumption I made looking at a couple of pics. so I will take back that statement lol. I will be purchasing a pixhawk in the near future mainly for the unlimited waypoints and awesome mission planning.

I will also mention my a2 is finally back to flying good again after changing to 2.3. although the whole time it is in the air I am constantly shaking from the nervousness waiting for something to go wrong

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
zenmuse was DOA, electronics in the GCU looked fried. sent it to the DJI facility in LA and they're sending a new one AFAIK.

i'll be back flying it as soon as the gimbal arrives.

:)

Lets here your impressions. I am still waiting for the replacement GPS I sent back in march! so don't hold your breath!

D

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Well, I have been continuing to rag my 550 around. I have been bumping it off the ground whilst in flight, conducting touch and gos with it just as a fixed wing aircraft would ie skidding the 550 along tarmac before taking off again, flying into and out of woods to test GPS/Atti automatic change overs, descending from 200ft with the throttle at zero, flying at full tilt in Atti out to about 450m away and then hitting the go home switch etc etc. So far, the A2 on 2.3 has been rock solid. I am not endorsing it yet though until I have done a good 50 or so flights on it and I am about half way there at the moment. However, I did get a bit bold yesterday and flew by beloved Gryphon 3 times and as per the 550 it flew very well. Ill keep you guys in the Rembrandt.

Encouraging. Didn't realise you where at SC. I was working in Richmond for a few days, we could have caught up and had a beer.. Going back soon so will PM you.

If I ever get a replacement GPS Ill spend a bit more time on it. BYOD should be avoided at all cost.

So deffo worth upgrading to 2.3?

Dave

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Deffo worth upgradeing to 2.3 as both 2.1 and 2.2 have major flaws so I dont see you having anything to loose by going to 2.3. Definitely give me a buzz when you are in the area, beer is always a good idea (unless about to fly or drive that is!).

Quinton

If I ever get a replacement GPS Ill spend a bit more time on it. BYOD should be avoided at all cost.

Dave

BYOD for me have been quite good.
Now it is really hard sometimes to get them to answer their phone, usually it rings then hangs up, but when you eventually get through its OK

I would "HATE" to be a DJI reseller, as so much of their stuff is released prematurely and the resellers are the ones that take it in the neck, not DJI.
Well tbh the customers take it in the neck mostly, as we are the ones that actually have to wait for updates, and its not cheap returning stuff either.
Theres no way that these people have replacement GPS sitting around for them to give a replacement they would have to open a complete box and send you one.

Saying that I did send my lightbrodge back to BYOD and it took them 9 days to refund, after I had called them a couple of times.
You should see the email I am having with DJI headquarters in Europe regarding my Zenmuse being returned, you could not make it up.
DJI outside China basically have their hands tied, theres not much they can really do, (puppets is maybe the words im looking for) unfortunately they don't understand that you can not treat people this way in Europe as there are online trading standards, and the more people report them on the false advertising and not as described attitude they have, the more pressure they will come under to release fit for purpose goods.

Flylite

Another thumbs up for BYOD - they tried to convince me not to get A2 for obvious reasons but were happy that I was getting it to test it to bits.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Another thumbs up for BYOD - they tried to convince me not to get A2 for obvious reasons but were happy that I was getting it to test it to bits.

Can you ring Martin for me then and ask him to send me my replacement GPS! He will not reply to my emails Texts, on line forms and he has even deleted my purchase history!

It would do me a favour and if I get a new one back asap will negate me taking further action.

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast

So hows the testing going.

What are you testing it on?

@Carapau am jay about to load up 2.3 on YOUR recommendation! Watch this space!

D

Robwik

Yes, it seems like a really nice controller. I have just loaded up firmware 3.2 RC2 on it and started to go through all settings. I prebooked mine from 3D Robotics. But now they have sales restrictions, so they don't ship abroad (except to Canada). They are working on fixing that, though. Hope you get get one soon! :)

Mate if I could get my hands on a Pixhawk I would be all over it. lol. If you are into Android Os and Pc tinkering Setting up the Pixhawk wouldn't be too much hassle.
Ive been trying to get a Pixhawk unit here in Aus for ages now, probably should of sourced it O.S? Where did u purchase urs from?

Old Man

That export restriction may end up not getting lifted. IMO a mistake our domestic manufacturers made was in calling their products UAV's. That terminology landed the description smack in the middle of the International Trade and Arms Restrictions, or ITAR. Several government agencies, beginning with Department of State, and running through Department of Defense, Commerce, and ATF, have regulations a mile deep covering anything noted as UAV technology, even if it's open source. You have to beg permission and prove you can maintain control of the technology at all levels and can only sell to pre-approved foreign users. Note I didn't say countries. It gets broken down to the individual company and person level, even inside the U.S. with a lot of stuff.

It's possible 3DR will need to spend truck loads of money to prove their controllers don't fall under ITAR restrictions before they sell outside of the country. Unfortunately things like way points, map grid layouts, MGRS, and flight control via a fixed ground station don't help then disqualify the Pixhawk from restrictions. Toss in remotely broadcast video and you come back full circle to the UAV designation. They might well have made the Pixhawk controller a little too good for government comfort.

Robwik

Hi Old Man,

Ouch... That is terrible news... But thank you very much for the update and the detailed information that explains the restrictions for export! It gives us insight! Thank's!

It is quite interesting how this business is evolving, from a lot of perspectives. In many ways, this RC/UAV business is breaking new grounds and laws are not prepared for it. I'm from Sweden, and here we have to, of course, follow normal business rules (be insured, following tax/VAT rules etc.). The "special" things regarding UAV is that we have to register our Aircraft to the Swedish Transport Agency under the UAV regulations (commercially, not hobby RC at your backyard). And also, if you are to publish images and video commercially, you have to register with the military and get papers that you know the rules.

IMHO selling non-grade military FC's abroad should not be a hinder. It is the end user who is responsible to follow the rules in his/her country. But I do understand the difficulties. As this is seen like a new business, (flying autonomous vehicles), and US drones are in wars, it makes media in mostly a negative way. But there are so much positive ways we can use this tech, too, and unfortunately, not much of that is reaching media. (Search for missing persons, agriculture, disaster surveillance etc.)

Personally, I think that anyone who uses this technology as a business, should be registered and insured. If you are 7 years old an fly a mini quad in your backyard, you should not have to be registered. But if you fly a heavy hexa/octa autonomously, and it is your business, I think it is ok to abide to some rules.

BUT, limiting sales and reach, just because this is a new business, is quite harsh. All over the World we import/export different things that can be uses in a good way, and in a bad way also if you want to. Take as an example, chainsaws. (Ouch!)

I hope that in the near future, countries and regions could see the benefit of getting common laws and regulations for this business, that benefits both hardware/software developers and end users and all companies/users inbetween, so we get a safe and sound business all over the World. Well, we can Always hope :)

Hope you all get a nice weekend, and safe flying!