A photographer getting into the multi rotor world... how hard is it?

Gluey

As the title says I'm a photographer/ videographer with a passion of finding those new shots. I've had very little experience with RC equipment (except the odd RC car) so it begs the question as to how difficult it is to get into the multi rotor world for the main purpose of aerial photography and video. I see all this jargon of various copters etc etc and it makes me hesitant to make the plunge.

Perhaps it takes simple research to find out but I figure it may be easiest to get the general consensus from a large forum.

Is there an obvious reason to avoid jumping directly into it for the sole purpose of photo and video?

Im in the same boat as you but I already started with smaller multirotors to get the feel for it. Also been flying some single rotor ones.
Get for example the DJI Phantom and start there and see how you feel flying it.
When you feel confidant there and still want to continue go ahead and get a bigger one.

But one caviot is that when you start doing this professionally remember that there is allot of more laws and regulations that you have to consider and also the extra insurance.
So that you have to check preferably on a forum that is in your country and you might get some help there.

Bowley

Hammer a heli simulator till you have mastered flying from an external viewpoint and orientations are second nature, dont dive into FPV or intelligent orientation control etc till you have mastered basic RC flight. It takes a while but that varies depending on how much time you put into practicing. I assume your a pro photographer, why not look for a pro RC pilot who is not a photographer, then you learn from each other.

SMP

Commercial Togs here. Took us about 3 years to amass 100k in camera equipment. Took us 6 months to rack up 60k in aerial gear. So to your question, not difficult at all, just expensive. ;) Careful what you ask for.

hjls3

Id say it is kind of similar to photography. Anyone can take a picture but its a whole other world to take a professional picture. In other words - getting a gorpo in the air and having some fun - not too difficult or costly - getting professional video footage - years of experience, tons of money, lots and lots of knowledge. One of my favorite quotes (stolen from SMP I might add)...thanks for this one SMP currently quoted on my desk.

"solid business practices, bulletproof liability insurance, technical expertise in photography, remote piloting skills to rival 15 year old Xbox'rs and oh yes, engineering geekery on a scale reserved only for super solderers and software programmers ergo RC. The rewards are there but the risks are high and gravity ALWAYS wins. Welcome to the party"

jforkner

Is there an obvious reason to avoid jumping directly into it for the sole purpose of photo and video?

First, I'd make sure there's a demand for the product you intend to produce---there's no reason to invest time & money in an endeavor that doesn't pay off.

Second, I'd sneak up on getting involved versus jumping in with both feet. I'd learn to build & control a small multirotor before investing heavily into the hobby.

Finally, if you do take the leap, get the best equipment (camera & flying) you can afford. In general, you get what you pay for.

Jack

rocjock

i'm new to it but i can tell you what i've learned so far. you really need to learn the necessary skills of RC. going to have to learn how to solder, program your radio, build and tweak, tune and test. I'm lucky to live in a somewhat rural area where I can make an adjustment at my house and be in the air in 5 minutes. This has been key as I am totally new.

I initially thought I would use a build service (read; jumping in with both feet) and quickly realized it would be a giant mistake. If you can't troubleshoot the myriad of problems that are sure to arise you won't be airborne very often. If you build the multi rotor you will become very familiar with it.

And I will echo, you get what you pay for. I have already bought so much stupid ****.
Find an RC mentor locally if you can. I haven't had such luck with that but I know it would be priceless.
Start small. Blade mQX and then build a quad kit or something.

If you want to fly cameras you are going to have to truly enjoy and embrace the RC hobby!

So it begs the question we ask so often..... how much free time you got?

Gluey

Thanks for all the help guys. As bowley guessed, I am a professional photographer (albeit still pretty fresh) and I'm hoping to get out of the Wedding Photography scene as that's not where I started from nor is it a passion. I'm in my graduating year of Industrial Design so have a pretty solid hand in soldering, model making, tinkering, swearing and some programming.

After Quantumlight suggested the DJI Phantom I've had a look at it and the footage gained from it and feel it's something I think I could possibly outgrow quickly, perhaps there is a similar copter which is perhaps a little more hands on in regards to building and getting some half decent footage?

Thanks again for all the help guys, I expected to be chastised for such naive questions so it's been greatly appreciated!

nicwilke

Its very easy to get into. Buy a good rig, a good radio, a good camera and dont let anyone deter you. UP-AND-AT-EM. Good luck champ.

Gluey,

I too am a professional photographer and film maker. I started with the Phantom 2 weeks ago and have really gotten comfortable with it. I know what you mean about "outgrowning it" as I had the same thoughts. The way I looked at it was if it works and I need to upgrade, I can always find a buyer for the Phantom. Either way you go, keep in mind that I have found that a gimbal is a important part of getting the right usable shot. Nothing out there will fly that steady.

Just my thoughts.....

Bryharv

Dont do it!!! I've been a photographer/filmmaker for over 20 years. I am always learning new cameras, new systems, new technology for my craft. I got into this over a year ago to add next level shots to my game, but this is a whole 'nother ballgame. I have all the top-end stuff... Cinestar, radian 3-axis gimbal, etc...
It is an ENORMOUS time suck to get smooth footage, and even then it really needs to be blowing less than 10mph.
Maybe the new Freefly $15k brushless gimbal will make it easier, but those gimbals must be balanced perfectly and tuned for each camera.
My wife is a widow to this endeavor. Says I spend my life reading these message boards looking for answers.

Honestly if I had any idea it would require this much of my time I never would have done it. Bottom line.

Wait another year or two and this field will have far better solutions than are available today. But then it wont be next level anymore. Oh, and don't forget as a photographer/videographer it is totally illegal to fly these machines commercially.

hugh4g

I've been dipping slowly into this for the last year.

My interest is in taking photographs, and flying is simply a route to getting there.

I've a Wookong F-550, and am about to upgrade it as the simplest way to get a beefier machine that will carry a Nex5, or the new lumix (July).
My experience is that as a professional photographer, clients from time to time emerge with aerial photography needs. I'm letting the whole thing grow at its own pace. And, slowly but surely enquiries that want to lead to larger work are trickling in, (some quite surprising). So far its paid for itself, expenses and gear, but not much else.

Best

Hugh

DDuncan

New to this as well, but man i love it! As a production company we're still debating the merits of one frame vs another, gimbals and such. In the meantime i'm practicing with the MQX Blade like my life depends on it.

Like many beginners here, I'm really hoping to find someone in Indianapolis to mentor a bit. I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one.

We're still toying with the idea of the phantom with a good gimbal. But with no ability to fix or upgrade, and the additional gimbal cost... We're seeing that we might as well get a good rig for nearly the same price that doesnt have those limitations.

Now i just have to train more and find something great within our budget!

sfpuk

New to this as well, but man i love it! As a production company we're still debating the merits of one frame vs another, gimbals and such. In the meantime i'm practicing with the MQX Blade like my life depends on it.

Like many beginners here, I'm really hoping to find someone in Indianapolis to mentor a bit. I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one.

We're still toying with the idea of the phantom with a good gimbal. But with no ability to fix or upgrade, and the additional gimbal cost... We're seeing that we might as well get a good rig for nearly the same price that doesnt have those limitations.

Now i just have to train more and find something great within our budget!

QAV540 is one to look at. Check out the footage on youtube! Looks awesome!

I'm with DDuncan on this. I'm new this, been working on it for 3 months, and have loved every minute of it. I have had my share of accidents and I learn my way and build on lessons learned, and read about what others do on the forum. It does consume you and all your free time gets sucked into learning more things, fixing things, fine tunings things, improving upon things, dreaming and designing your next multirotor, etc.
But I wouldn't trade all the frustration I've gone through and the money it has consumed for anything.