Getting into quadcopters... from BRAZIL! =D

Sergioc

Hello there everybody!

My name is Sergio and i`m considering the fact of buying a quadcopter set at hobbyking.com
I used to enjoy nitro rc cars when i was younger, so i already have a few knowledge about these hobbys

My first idea, is to buy the following parts of an (ARTF) Idea Fly 4:

- http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...er_with_Motor_ESC_Flight_Controller_PNF_.html
(The quadcopter itself, running on brushless outrunner engines, with flight controller, gyroscope, accelerometer, barometer and GPS ready)

- http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor..._Module_8ch_Receiver_Mode_2_v2_Firmware_.html
(The radio, a Turnigy 9ch. I read about it in some places, and got a nice impression. Seems an honest entry level radio, 2.4ghz and ****)

- http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16529__Turnigy_2650mAh_3S_1C_LLF_Tx_Pack_Futaba_JR_.html
(The battery for the radio)

- http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11946__Turnigy_nano_tech_2650mah_3S_35_70C_Lipo_Pack.html
(The battery for the copter)

- http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor..._6_50W_6A_Balancer_Charger_w_accessories.html
(The charger)

The whole thing ended up on U$ 330...

=========================================================

The thing is, i did a quick research on the net, also reading a few forums, and got this 5 items set as a first attempt to fly.

Does the battery charger charges both batteries? (the radio and the copter one)
Do I need any adaptor for the batteries wire plugs?

Is there anything wrong with something i chose?
Something that won`t "fit" ??

Thaks for any help!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Serge,

The last time a guy checked in here from Brazil I asked if we could expect aerial video of your "scenic" beaches....I'm still waiting! Anyway, I know nothing about that quad from Hobbyking, I'd guess that if it's like a lot of other stuff from Hobbyking, it will be a disappointment. A similarly affordable option would be a DJI Flamewheel F450 with the NAZA controller The benefit is that the NAZA can be reused and GPS can later be added to make it a pretty useful control system. THe F450 won't lift much but it's a hoot to fly.

The Turnigy radio is acceptable if there's a strict budget and I've been using Turnigy batteries for years and they do fine.

THe radio should come with its own battery charger. The flight batteries will require a separate battery charger with an adapter to your battery fittings, something like this to start out

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/Products_2/Cellpro-Multi4_3/Cellpro-Multi4_217

Does that help at all?

Sergioc

Hey Bartman, yes it does...

I will shure do some nice hovers above the beaches here in Rio de Janeiro! =D

I`ve been researching about this F450. I first read about it at the own DJI website and got very impressed.
That NAZA thing is awesome!

I`m studying Mechanical Engineering here at brazil, and a week ago we came up with a group, something about 5 or 6 guys, together with a Professor that already have an amazing Quad Motor, with GPS and everything else.
The main objective, is to collect funds, and begin a new project, from the basic assembly, to the deepest programing and projectable things.
He wants us to develop a sophisticated machine, including automatic hovering, recognition of obstacles and objects trown ate them, things like this.
We saw some tests in video from universities at such levels, that their multi rotors could defend a goal from ball shots... we saw even a pair of them playing alone throwing a ball from one to another =O

Did you gett the point?

So, I was about to buy the IFLY only to learn how to drive something like this, and who knows, become the pilot member hehehe ^^

I`m now considering to buy the DJI F450 with the NAZA controller with my own cash, and beggin to fly with it...
We could do the upgrades of the project directly at him, since its good enought for this =)

But its more complicated too...
I will have to know more parts specification and where to buy, so I can have ideia of $$$

I was thinking:

-The chassis F450
-The batteries
-Radio Turnigy 9x
-NAZA
-MC
-ESC
-Engines
-Propellers...

What else more?

Thanks for the attention ^^
I`ll spend some time reading the forum to have a previous idea

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
If you want to get into this hobby and do it cheap check out Xheli.com who has ready to fly Quads. The reason I say this is because 1) they're cheap and some come with a radio and 2) you'll get the experience you need so that when you want to upgrade later you'll be able to pick something much better like a DJI 450 quad or something like that. You can also get the DJI 450 Hobbyking knock-off frame and build your own a piece at a time, I did this with the DJI F550 Hobbyking version if you're comfortable doing that on your own. This hobby is beyond addicting so get ready to spend all your money on it once you get into it :)

ChrisViperM

Bom dia Sergio...

I planned to move to Florianopoli - SC, but gave up my plan....Multirotor business is much too expensive there.....whatever prices you find on the internet for frames and parts outside Brazil, add another 100% - 120% on top of it....customs and import duties in Brazil are the worst in the whole world.....although people in Brazil are the nicest ones I ever met.
Seriously....in average everything will cost you about double what we pay here in Europe and America.....and you have to wait ages for your stuff.....but I think for DJI stuff is a online-shop in Brazil.....but also very expensive.

There is one guy in Sao Paulo who is a "Professor" in Multirotors, Thiago Krauss:

Thats his Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/krausdiver?feature=watch
his web-page: http://www.drones4you.com/

He is a very nice guy, very helpful and knows all and everything about Multirotors in Brazil....try to contact him, he will have a lot of valuable information for you.

Tchau

Chris

Sergioc

helloman1976, that`s what i was thinking about, buying something cheaper to learn, and then do upgrades or assembly a new one. But the cost seems bigger this way, so i`m considering to buy something better from now, and spend a little more.

ChrisViperM, this piss me the f*cking off man!!!! haha, everything here is wayyy more expensive then in any other place!!! Cars, cellphones, quadcopter things, notebooks, ipads, everything!

I`m looking forward to buy a DJI 450F Kit on ebay now.
I liked a lot of what i saw about him!

The kit I found comes with:
- the X frame
- 4 motors
- 4 esc`s
- propellers
- NAZA =D
- GPS =D

For 589 dollars
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMBO-DJI-F...Control_Control_Line&hash=item2c6d504d4c#shId

Now, something with the radio...

I was wondering if buying a Turnigy 9x radio wouldn`t be a little uneven with the NAZA precision and stability stuff... It is too cheap in comparison with Spectrums, Futabas and other branded ones...
Do you think i`ll lose too much precision and great flying aspects using a Turnigy instead of a Dx7 for example?

Bartman

Sergioc,

If you can find one, a good Spektrum DX8 would be a good choice and would save you some money. If you find one in the US and they won't ship it to you, have it sent to me and I'll ship it to you.

Bart

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
helloman1976, that`s what i was thinking about, buying something cheaper to learn, and then do upgrades or assembly a new one. But the cost seems bigger this way, so i`m considering to buy something better from now, and spend a little more.

ChrisViperM, this piss me the f*cking off man!!!! haha, everything here is wayyy more expensive then in any other place!!! Cars, cellphones, quadcopter things, notebooks, ipads, everything!

I`m looking forward to buy a DJI 450F Kit on ebay now.
I liked a lot of what i saw about him!

The kit I found comes with:
- the X frame
- 4 motors
- 4 esc`s
- propellers
- NAZA =D
- GPS =D

For 589 dollars
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMBO-DJI-F...Control_Control_Line&hash=item2c6d504d4c#shId

Now, something with the radio...

I was wondering if buying a Turnigy 9x radio wouldn`t be a little uneven with the NAZA precision and stability stuff... It is too cheap in comparison with Spectrums, Futabas and other branded ones...
Do you think i`ll lose too much precision and great flying aspects using a Turnigy instead of a Dx7 for example?

The DJI 450 is a great start for sure. I wouldn't go with Spectrum anything myself, too many times people lose models because of their faulty equipment and the horror stories are endless. Hitec Aurora 9 is an EXCELLENT radio on a budget, it include battery monitoring and telemetry with a receiver for something like $249USD. If you are going to get the GPS unit with the Naza make sure you have a radio that supports failsafe so it'll automatically return to you if you go out of range. I've seen the Aurora tested and it's range on the ground and I mean receiver on the ground was 0.6Km and range in the air was around 2.4Km. I fly with 2.4Ghz right now, Futaba 6EX, and I get about the same range but I keep my Hexa within a 1.6km if I'm paying attention :)

Bartman

i don't think Spektrum radios have the problems anymore that were present when 2.4gHz first came out. Any radio will work really, I've used 72Mhz radios with multi-rotors and they fly fine. DX-8's are common in the classifieds. Hitec Aurora is good too.

Money spent on good radios is money well spent as they can be used over and over again.

Bart

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
i don't think Spektrum radios have the problems anymore that were present when 2.4gHz first came out. Any radio will work really, I've used 72Mhz radios with multi-rotors and they fly fine. DX-8's are common in the classifieds. Hitec Aurora is good too.

Money spent on good radios is money well spent as they can be used over and over again.

Bart

I just picked up a Futaba 8FG and it came in today...the nerd in my is super excited by my frosted side says read the manual first :) and it's a HUGE manual. I was going to get the 8J, another good budget radio, but there were some things that turned me off. I've had my 6EX for like 10 years and it still works great, no failsafe BUT it works.

Bartman

i'm still using a Futaba 9CHP 72 mhz for my fixed wing stuff. the heli's get the JR 9503.

most anything made in the last 6 to 10 yrs will work fine provided you stay within a reasonable range, IMHO.

Sergioc

Yeah, i'm considering to buy a 139 dolars Dx6i...
6ch is more then enought even for a few upgrades later right?

I heard some opinions from people who used DJI parts included on the F450 ARF kit, such as propellers and motors.
People say that the propellers included aren`t very trustable ones, and (very less people) that the engine is noisy and have problems after some use.

Do you think it worth to buy only the frame parts, the esc`s (opto 30A), the naza the gps, and my own (better) motors and propelers? Or in the end people are overreacting a little?

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Yeah, i'm considering to buy a 139 dolars Dx6i...
6ch is more then enought even for a few upgrades later right?

I heard some opinions from people who used DJI parts included on the F450 ARF kit, such as propellers and motors.
People say that the propellers included aren`t very trustable ones, and (very less people) that the engine is noisy and have problems after some use.

Do you think it worth to buy only the frame parts, the esc`s (opto 30A), the naza the gps, and my own (better) motors and propelers? Or in the end people are overreacting a little?

I'm a DYI type of person and I prefer not to get RTF kits or ARF kits and to build my own so if you're asking me I'd say order the frame from Hobbyking and all the parts from Hobbyking or other websites like that. The Turnigy NTM motors seem to be fine and I've been using them for more than 12+ hours of flight time and I had only one failure and it was my fault for not checking it before I flew on it, something I always do now with pre-flight checks and post-flight checks. I'd make sure the D6i was failsafe capable and would support the automatic return to home feature if you're getting the Naza and the GPS antenna which is required for RTH. If you're getting all your parts separate then get the Turnigy 40A Plush ESCs and call it a day. Again, I've never had a single Turnigy Plush ESC fail. The NEW DJI propellers I hear are excellent, I use Hobbyking's knock-off APC propellers but you have to balance each and every one but they're like $2 maybe so it's worth it to me. That's my 2 cents...

Sergioc

I had a conversation with our orientor yesterday and there will be no NAZA, KK, or any other device that is not open source on board.

He wants us to write our own algorithms, so the chosen board was the APM 2.5 arduino =)