8FG & Naza set-up

kloner

Aerial DP
have you been trying it in the same spot? might try a mile away and see if it's teh same there.... fasst is frequency hopping so it shouldn't matter, but,,,,

Anotehr idea would be to hook up a battery and servo to the rx and try it all by itself for range checks.

DesJardins

I'm actually thinking I should buy another Rx and see if that's bad... Only other option would be to ship everything to Futaba and wait for a wonderful response.

kloner

Aerial DP
how are you ground testing it? power down and walking or full power and flying? what are these power settings you mentioned earlier?

DesJardins

how are you ground testing it? power down and walking or full power and flying? what are these power settings you mentioned earlier?
There are 2 modes with the HV Rx "normal" & "Hi speed". So I have tried both as well

Oh yea, powering up & down literally walking 1000 feet as well as flying until failsafe starts kicking in anywhere from 1000-1200. The quad starts twitching so I either flip the failsafe switch or turn around to come back right away.

And when walking I took ALL FPV gear off to eliminate that as interference and still can't reach 1/4 mile... That's with my wife standing straight down the nice and open 1-mile road.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesJardins

I'd like to hear how Futaba sponsored Bobby Watts can do a full collective punch out on his Heli's until they are a spec in the sky clearly going well beyond the "Futaba claimed 1000ft acceptable range" and still fly.

If they told Bobby his max range was 1000 feet he'd be flying Spektrum

Can anyone tell I'm beyond irritated with Futabas answer to my range concern...
:lol:

kloner

Aerial DP
wait till you feel the cold shoulder they throw when you tell em you want to use a long range system with it... they flip out,,, file for divorce. These places are what they are....

but your **** should work alot better

does it get the 30 paces in lowpower?

DesJardins

wait till you feel the cold shoulder they throw when you tell em you want to use a long range system with it... they flip out,,, file for divorce. These places are what they are....

but your **** should work alot better

does it get the 30 paces in lowpower?

Oh he mentioned UHF and was overly passionate about letting me know they DO NOT SUPPORT UHF... I was like, no ****- I didn't ask you about UHF!

I'm at the dealership right now getting service done on the daily driver because I'm lazy now from working on my Turbo car at home but when I get home I'll try the 30 paces BS and you know I'll be reporting as I'm posting this everywhere so people are aware of the expected CS with the Futaba range claim

DesJardins

So walked out and did a power down range test, netted me about the "30 paces" I'm unsure but would like to know the Exact # of feet they require the test to be because Even the manual says 30-50 paces... That's almost DOUBLE the "required testing distance"

Basically the green light flashes meaning it is receiving the signal but the "ID" is unmatched.

W-T-F does that mean

DesJardins

So again same diatance and then it starts blinking and the VU flashes yellow then off and on and then off.
It doesn't lose its actual link but it's like a bouncing signal or channel on the ID.

Bascalt it wouldn't go into FULL failsafe, instead it causes the motors to twitch like crazy which is probably worse than just going failsafe...

mongo

lost soul
for best range, the tx antenna should not be sticking straight up from the tx. laid out parallel to the ground, either right or left of center works much better.

DesJardins

This upcoming weekend I'll be testing another Rx first to see if I can rule that out... Ordered another $139 R6208SB
Ouch

DesJardins

So I decided instead of wasting time as my range check with the system completely off the quad still can't get me to a 1/4 mile I called in and ordered a new 8FGs, other set is going back.

Of course I will post full results Late tomorrow night if I can get home in time. I Always post the facts regardless of the outcome.

Thanks to those that have sent suggestions & helped trouble shoot!

Pelted

This is making me nervous. I'm still waiting on my motors and escs from TBS to arrive, but in the mean time I may run out with my 8FGS and Rx to do some range testing with the micro. I don't expect a mile without going to UHF but reading what you have been going through to reach 1/4 and 1/2 has me a bit worried since I've got essentially the same setup.

DesJardins

This is making me nervous. I'm still waiting on my motors and escs from TBS to arrive, but in the mean time I may run out with my 8FGS and Rx to do some range testing with the micro. I don't expect a mile without going to UHF but reading what you have been going through to reach 1/4 and 1/2 has me a bit worried since I've got essentially the same setup.
I wouldn't be worried, give a real range test and see what happens. My wife says I have impeccable luck with this hobby so I expect bumps in the road which forces a quick learning curve :)

Good thing is I'm running this range issue through the ringer; posted the 8FG set-up video 1 of 2 on my YouTube channel & part 2 will be up this weekend.

kloner

Aerial DP
it's gotta work better than what you got...... on the lrs systems they use sma plugs to attach antennas, your able to move an attentuator from one or the other to figure this part out if there is a problem.....

I feel like it's something in the immersion 5.8 600 that screws with the 2.4 signal...... not enough speration of space kinda problems..... that's one thing you and i have in common on this frame with problem.... i've seen spektrum guys go a half mile with me around here, but mine would twitch like crazy at 2200 feet, everytime, sometimes sooner