8FG & Naza set-up

irvan36mm

When I had my F550 together (still working on my TBS Disco,in between work schedule!), I mounted the receiver on the lower
plate with the antennas hanging down. Worked with no problems,but this is in LOS range. I never took it out farther
than that.
Have you tried taking your mount & have it hanging out of the back horizontally in between the rear booms?
Or you could try the same, but vertically- one antenna pointing up & the other pointing down?

DesJardins

I just tested many different angles, mounted on the arms spread at 180, 130, 90 again and with my wife holding the transmitter like normal and me walking down a open path I could barely reach the 1/4 mile mark as the Rx light is flickering green/red causing the VU to display intermittent Failsafe.

Any suggestions?
weak/bad Rx?

:-/

irvan36mm

Looking at your pics, I see you have the receiver mounted at the back.
Have you tried mounting your Rx anywhere else?
On my F550, I mounted my receiver on the left side of the bottom plate.
And both antennas were hanging downward.

DesJardins

I'm going to turn the Rx sideways and get it out from being tucked under the battery by the Naza but I don't really have hopes for the move because my Spektrum was tucked and I went 1/2 mile without a glitch.

That's an ouch factor

STI-REX

Gettin Old
I'm going to turn the Rx sideways and get it out from being tucked under the battery by the Naza but I don't really have hopes for the move because my Spektrum was tucked and I went 1/2 mile without a glitch.

That's an ouch factor

G'Day Des

I too have just made the jump to a T8FG Super tx and R6208 sb rx from an aging DX7 (old dsm2)

I have my aerials mounted straight to the rx via a crimp on electrical connector

( round bolt on type with plastic removed alloy opened up and 2 aerial tubes glued into crimp amd lightly crimped then heat shrunk, Then the round ring of the connector is attached to the rear of the rx with outdoor foam tape (4010 )) and mounted like yours straight up on the back of the disco and i get just over 1.5 kilometers on the ground with clear line of site (i live in the country)

and in the air it just seems to keep going and going i have had 2.8 kms in the air so far glitch free But it is in the country not too many buildings in the way and i try to fly from high ground points as well

so much easier too set up these futaba radios after the Spekky

kloner

Aerial DP
what material is the antennas in? you want something like this... the v doesn't get as good a signal on my lrs stuff, i'd have to imagine this is the same

016%20%28800x600%29_795.jpg

get some goldn rod at your lhs

DesJardins

what material is the antennas in? you want something like this... the v doesn't get as good a signal on my lrs stuff, i'd have to imagine this is the same

016%20%28800x600%29_795.jpg

get some goldn rod at your lhs

I'll give the position change a try, also were you using Normal or High-speed?
Normal seemed to give me a bit more ground test distance for some reason...

DesJardins

G'Day Des

I too have just made the jump to a T8FG Super tx and R6208 sb rx from an aging DX7 (old dsm2)

I have my aerials mounted straight to the rx via a crimp on electrical connector

( round bolt on type with plastic removed alloy opened up and 2 aerial tubes glued into crimp amd lightly crimped then heat shrunk, Then the round ring of the connector is attached to the rear of the rx with outdoor foam tape (4010 )) and mounted like yours straight up on the back of the disco and i get just over 1.5 kilometers on the ground with clear line of site (i live in the country)

and in the air it just seems to keep going and going i have had 2.8 kms in the air so far glitch free But it is in the country not too many buildings in the way and i try to fly from high ground points as well

so much easier too set up these futaba radios after the Spekky

Do you have a pic of your antennas mounted also?

DesJardins

So I made a mount like your Kloner and it gave me the same results... Any other ideas?Are there some unknown Futaba settings I should be lookin into within the 8FG or a different Rx that might be made for better range like a standard 7Ch vs this $139 version I'm using...

Should I not have the Tx antenna straight like I have and click the antenna at a certain degree?
It seems so silly as the range would be if I had mounted the antennas in a Bow tie, it shouldn't be this bad

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
if it was mine, and i know your broke but the lrs system to me seems like the only choice. wish you'd have gotten the 8j so i could help ya better.

I had a ton of trouble with the stock frames, video and rc control... it wasn't till the fpv frames i mounted on my troubles cleared up

My spektrum only went 2200 feet, max. the dragonlink i had on there would trip out less than that......

DesJardins

Guess my option is to go UHF then... I'll be looking at options and suggestions because I just talked to Futaba and they said if I am going 1000 feet then there isn't anything wrong with the set-up. LOS flying only support. WTF.

Thanks Futaba

kloner

Aerial DP
welcome to the hobby,,,, show me a picture of the rig how it sits last test.

just for something simple to try, put the rubber duck antennas on the video gear and see if it still sucks

DesJardins

welcome to the hobby,,,, show me a picture of the rig how it sits last test.

just for something simple to try, put the rubber duck antennas on the video gear and see if it still sucks

LOL, no kidding... After flying Heli's for years & dealing with Spektrum, Futaba customer service could use a touch of love for their paying customers. Hell even an offer vs. "I have NEVER heard of a transmitter going 1/2 mile or even close" pretty knowledgable tech advisor Futaba....

I'll snap a pic of it when I get home tonight

kloner

Aerial DP
fasst should be going a mile... I got an idea..... disconnect the power to your video tx and see if the range is better, do it with a car or on foot....... on mine i look for the failsafe light to flash and leave the tx behind but be fair and leave it so is line of site or close

DesJardins

Guy John at Futaba support really wasn't having my call too well. I can send it in for testing and if the system transmits while in power down 30 paces it will be sent back... What a joke

>:-/

I'm going to check all the info out Kloner, Futaba has me thrown for a loop.
John needs to talk to real flyers vs. a manual apparently