6S batteries Are the Expensive Ones that much better?

jfro

Aerial Fun
I've finally gotten a couple MR's running that fly on 6s batteries. I am in need of buying a few more as it's time to do more flying.

Besides low and no inventory of many larger (8,000 and up mah) 6s batteries, I'm somewhat confused about the pricing. I currently have some 8000 mah 25c batteries (NanoTech's) which seem to be working pretty good. I've learned not to push (punish) my batteries, and although I have an occasional issue with balance charging not getting all 6 cells to 4.2v, they have been pretty good so far.

As I look around, it appears that most of the brands that I hear people speak highly of seem to be over 2 times the price. For instance $229, $250 and up vs the $112 or so for the Nano's. Since batteries don't tend to last forever, I can't help but wonder if they are that much better. I don't doubt many may be better, but are they worth 2x time price?

It's also confusing as often I read someone complaining about a battery, but then I find many that say they have had good luck with the batteries.

Since, the majority of the time, I'm flying with 2 batteries, if one were to go bad, it most likely wouldn't result in a crash if in the air. So in my mind, it's really about whether the batteries will give me twice as many flights or significantly more flying time.. I'm getting in the mid teens and sometimes more now with the 6s batteries, so an extra minute or less isn't of big concern.

When I look a the prices for the larger 6s lipos, I go into sticker shock..

I understand some of you are getting large daily rates for flying and can afford them, but what are the rest of you doing and why?

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
I'm flying pairs of Tattu and Pulse 10000mAh 6S LiPos. I was using Zippys and found that they largely suck. Voltage sag makes them all but unusable.

kloner

Aerial DP
the best packs are fresh ones.... generally speaking the expensive packs outlive there lifespan on shelves waiting to get sold.... cheap ones like hobbyking are made frequently..... high c rate is a higher quality pack, but most of the polymers inside are the same for the most part. i steer clear of overly high c rated packs, have found there fragille like 50-60c type ....

jfro

Aerial Fun
the best packs are fresh ones.... generally speaking the expensive packs outlive there lifespan on shelves waiting to get sold.... cheap ones like hobbyking are made frequently..... high c rate is a higher quality pack, but most of the polymers inside are the same for the most part. i steer clear of overly high c rated packs, have found there fragille like 50-60c type ....

Kloner, from all your posts, it seems you have lots of experience with lipos.

So, it sound like you are saying there isn't a whole lot of difference in say the 25c 8000mah and up batteries. If that is somewhat accurate, then it would seem I may be better off staying with what I have and get 2 batteries for the price of 1. I can buy 25% difference in prices, but 100% seems seems ridiculous.

My limited experience seems to be don't run em down too low and try to charge them at the lower rates. That being said, I was out flying last week and used my generator and was charging the 8000 mah 6c's at 24 amps. Conditions were to nice to sit and wait for them to charge. I was able to keep flying with small breaks to look at the video using 4 batteries and then an occasional flight with a small quad and 4s battery.

I'm thinking 2 more batteries for a total of 6 (8000 mah 6s)might be good enough for what I do. I have 30amp charger so may add another or go with the duo.

Thanks for the comments.

kloner

Aerial DP
in general we use the c rating to ensure enough energy supply.... after that i try making sure one pack on 2 pack rigs can support the system in case it's flown with one pack and to not get into brownouts.

When you get a nice charger it shows ir, that is the only thing that matters with a lipo, if it comes with low and equal ir it is fresh and un damaged. keep the packs cool, i use a cooloer and sometimes ice when it really gets blazing and between that and not over discharging keeps ir low,,,,, i've had the worst luck with nano tecs back when they first came out in cheap stuff and i forget the brand but there was some kick butt lipos at helidirect for a while that were 65c 10c charge rate that puffed in storage mode after only being used minimaly,,, ie fragile.

Low ir usually will have less voltage sag under load unless there being overloaded

ah x c = max amp cont..... 8000 mah = 8 ah x 25c is 200 amp continuous.....

I've had really good luck on 25c and 30c gens ace

yeehaanow

I have a stack of HK blue Turnigy 6s packs that are a bit puffy and dead and they only have about 60-80 cycles on them, some have substantially less.

Then I have 3 sets of Freefly 6s 9000 mah packs that are just as good as new and going on their 2nd year with around 50-70 cycles already. I highly recommend them and probably the new bigger batteries that quadrocopter.com sells, but I haven't tried those yet. They are expensive, but I think in the long run they're cheap, especially for their capacity vs cost.
I didn't have good luck with progressive RC 4s.

I think it's worth it to have a couple sets of "tested packs" that you can use for little hops or just messing around, while you save the good packs for the more crucial flights over water and such.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i know my opinions on cheaper batteries aren't shared or appreciated by everyone but I've had great results from Turnigy Nano-tech packs. I'm mostly using the 6000 and 8000 mah 25-50C 6S packs and getting good results with continued low IR (3 to 5 milliohm, might have the units wrong) after a lot of use.

they don't love being disharged beyond 3.3 volts but other than that they work for me.

Bartman

I'm flying pairs of Tattu and Pulse 10000mAh 6S LiPos. I was using Zippys and found that they largely suck. Voltage sag makes them all but unusable.

first day out with Zippies where the temps were over 90 the heli couldn't stay in the air and the packs I tried were damaged. I'd guess their C ratings are very overrated with a 35C pack probably really only good for 15......at least that was my experience with the 6 packs I bought.

smaller packs I bought for a foamie also behaved about the same.

Efliernz

Pete
We have all really had a mixed bag of results. All my Nanotech failed (lost a cell, puffed) within 20 flights and this was on 7-8 minute camera flight, not a 3D heli flight. My Zippy blues 25-30C are going past 70 flight ok.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
first day out with Zippies where the temps were over 90 the heli couldn't stay in the air and the packs I tried were damaged. I'd guess their C ratings are very overrated with a 35C pack probably really only good for 15......at least that was my experience with the 6 packs I bought.

smaller packs I bought for a foamie also behaved about the same.

I have had a good experience with Zippy Compacts, the 3700 and 4500 4S packs I have have been very good, my TBS 4500mH packs are in a league of their own though but they are three times the price.

The basic Turnigy packs I have in various sizes have also been good performers and good value for money, I am very careful not to discharge past 20% though.

It does seem that the cheaper packs can be a little hit and miss, if you can a few from a bad run they will all be bad.

Pete

TheMilkdud

I have been using readymaderc 6s lipos and love them. One is a 10,000 mah the other 12,400. They were alot cheaper than other brands at same mah. Love the quality.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have been using readymaderc 6s lipos and love them. One is a 10,000 mah the other 12,400. They were alot cheaper than other brands at same mah. Love the quality.

How many cycles do you have on them? Sounds like you have 1 of each. Are these your first Readymaderc's?

TheMilkdud

Yes, I have 1 of each. I,ve got about 30 cycles each on them. They are my first readymade batts. I have a few quads, all using 3s lipos but when I built my hexa I started looking for some big mah 6s batteries and was crying at how much they were wanting for them! I drive a hummer h2 and had recently purchased a big Bosch battery for it. Each one of the 6s lipos cost more than my vehicle battery. Ugg.

Has anyone considering doing a weight comparison between equivalent output 6S batteries, i.e., a comparison between Turnigy Nanotech and Thunderpower in the 6000 maH category as an example.

The reason I ask is because I have two friends raving about their Thunder Power batteries providing significantly longer flight times because they are smaller and lighter for the same capacity.

Bartman

i bought two thunder power packs when i first started because i thought that i had to have the most expensive stuff to make it in this new world i had discovered. they both puffed much more quickly than i expected and i've read elsewhere of similar experiences. i then bought a bunch of regular old turnigy packs and they worked great. moved over to the nano-tech packs because they were smaller/lighter and they've been great.

i've got two of the Gens Ace Tattu packs and they're also working very well so far. i'll have a review done in a week or two after i've had a chance to open up one of the packs to have a look around.

bart