5.16 official release

Kilby

I just saw this over at the DJI website. Anyone know anything about this "height limit" that is mentioned on the page? Is that a limit you can place on the aircraft itself? Would be an easy way to ensure we stay inside of FAA guidelines if so. (below 400 feet).

http://www.dji-innovations.com/wookong-m-firmware-version-5-16-has-released/

WooKong-M firmware version 5.16 has released, please download new WooKong-M Software ver 1.34 and upgrade your WooKong-M online.
What’s changed?
1.Attitude is controllable when one power output of Hexa-motor is failed in Atti. Mode and GPS Atti. Mode, including Hexa-rotor IY and Hexa-rotor Y.
2.When one power output of Hexa-motor is failed in Atti. Mode and GPS Atti. Mode, Hexa-rotor Iand Hexa-rotor V will spin to keep the aircraft stable.
What’s new?
1.S-bus2 receiver is supported for D-Bus port.
2.Height limit is added in the Tool.

HEX junky

In countries like France, they are bringing in new regulations for professional users...such as height limitations and also distance limitations.

The new FW has the user selectable height restriction, i.e.the MR will not go past the entered height limit.

I would imagine that the next FW update will include the user selectable distance from Home Point??

These functions can be turned off, however, they are very important for professional use and I think more countries will require this type of regulation in the future.

The setting is in the Tools menu at the top of the assistant software.

I can see FAA putting that distance option into place for commercial too. right now, there is a LOS guideline for hobbiest and Height. Sounds like some good responsible feature added. ++++ I will try one of mine shortly..

VINHEX

Interesting how they have put all the regulators in the manual as well, about meeting legislation.. Wonder if its a marketing tool or they are talking with the groups. Only time will tell.. If it has height distance locks I'm for it, I think (Only my opinion) having tools such as these move the FPV world forward to fly without a buddy system. The more preventive things put in place the better, that's if it works LOL

Bowley

Dont like the idea of height restriction, It is permissable to fly outwith stated limits in the UK with permission from CAA.
I wonder what the mechanics of this restriction are, baro or GPS, I take it the ground datum will be set on powering up the FC.

HEX junky

Turn it off then, you don't have to use it if you have no regulations!! It uses bara, if the distance restriction is added in the future then this will be GPS obviously.

DennyR

Only tested it on a F1 quad but it seems to be very smooth in the wind. I wonder if restrictions are being aimed towards a pro. level licensing charge. Didn't MK try and pull that stroke?

Last edited by a moderator:

HEX junky

As I stated before:

""In countries like France, they are bringing in new regulations for professional users...such as height limitations and also distance limitations.

The new FW has the user selectable height restriction, i.e.the MR will not go past the entered height limit.

I would imagine that the next FW update will include the user selectable distance from Home Point??

These functions can be turned off, however, they are very important for professional use and I think more countries will require this type of regulation in the future.""

I think this also applies to Italy.

There are also other regulations being put forward by governing bodies in different countries. As far as I know DJI is also looking at these future regulations with plans to implement as and when required.

Bowley

Yeah, I just remember the old WKH having a set height limit which could not be disabled. could be a good tool then if it is user defineable.

HEX junky

[SUP]I think the professional side of this business is going to get very controlled and regulated!! Which is a good thing, to protect the whole hobby. I would hate to be stopped flying for pleasure because some ""professional"" flew into a crowd.[/SUP]

HEX junky

There is also regulations in the UK, if you fly for any kind of financial gain. However, they have not adopted the distance restrictions YET!!

VINHEX

I've been reading and reading through the CAA rules, I dont think I would wont to go any further than below being a newbie and with a Multi to it all.. I would hate that it become a legal requirement to have a IMU and forced to buy unit by the country your in.

For Small Aircraft with mass between
7kg–20kg, some additional operational
constraints are imposed to ensure
adequate safety. These include:
o Clear of controlled airspace, unless
with ATC permission,
o Clear of any aerodrome traffic zone,
unless with ATC permission
o At less than 400ft above the point of
launch, except with permission as
above,
o Within 500 metres of the operator at
all times.
o Not within 150 metres of any
congested area of a city, town or
settlement,
o At least 50m clear of persons, vessels,
vehicles or structures. This can be
reduced to 30m for take-off or landing.
Other model operators and any
assistants or officials may be within
this distance; as may vessels, vehicles
or structures under their control,
o A serviceable “fail-safe” mechanism
shall be incorporated to terminate the
flight following loss of signal or
detection of an interfering signal,
o Ensure that any load carried on the
model is secure,
o Flights must comply with any
conditions such as byelaws,
o CAA permission is required for any
commercial flights.

VINHEX

Only tested it on a F1 quad but it seems to be very smooth in the wind. I wonder if restrictions are being aimed towards a pro. level licensing charge. Didn't MK try and pull that stroke?

Did you use the same gains, noticed they have recommended gain settings as well in the manual..

Dewster

This sounds pretty good. I like the idea of having a user defined height limiter. I just hope that it remains user defined. I could see future multi rotors having their height limited to below 400 feet at the consumer level. I also like the Y6 motor fail safe feature. I decided on a Y6 after my prop induced crash earlier this year. This only gives me more confidence in flying unless there's another hidden glitch in the Matrix.

HEX junky

It will remain a user configuration unless a regulation states otherwise, then it will be hard coded in specific units for the specific applications. This is all driven by regulation, not for the fun of DJI