1st copter build (Tarot 680) - criticism needed

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Having that hole pre-drilled is definitely better. Obviously with the 680pro you still need to drill the CF Boom, but worth it.

AzViper

I had to drill the holes, was not pre-drilled. The key is making sure the holes align up. Below is how I did it keeping the motor mount level and making sure NOT to try to drill completely through the carbon boom as you would never get the holes straight and true without drilling on a drill press using a V block to hold the boom.

6ORbXK.jpg

yWxWYN.jpg

G9Xxr6.jpg

9B9FPZ.jpg

GDh6Tu.jpg

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Nice work AZ! That a clean mod that saves a TON of headaches.

I'm lucky to have a nice old Delta drill press. Makes these type of things less stressful, but still gotta pay attention.

Drilling CF is what forced me to learn to sharpen my own drill bits. That stuff will eat mill bits and drill like they're candy :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Gold mining equipment??? That's the coolest thing I've ever heard.

I have a shop as well. Do custom motorcycle tail lights mostly - but it comes in handy for the small bits we need to fab for these MRs. Love the old gear. Lucky enough to have picked up a Millrite Powermatic mill cheap (fortunately R8 w/ QR adapter) and a great condition South Bend 9. Pride and joy is an ancient power hacksaw (patent circa 1890's!) that still works great and cuts my aluminum stock like butter.

Sorry for the hijack :)

Ok, thanks for tips.
One more attempt with configuration, questions are in bold. I tried to select part according to accessibility within Europe in order to avoid VAT. Total weight (calculated, without wires) 5300, thrust 5640.
If some obvious connection wires are missing from the list, please let me know

T810
Landing gear
DJI Naza M V2 Or would Naza M lite + GPS be enough?
Gimbal
Gimbal controller
Rails for gimbal
Battery mount I guess, I need only one if I'm stacking batteries over each other
Batteries 2x6000 mAh 6S 25-50C Turnigy Are they good enough?
XT90 Y-connector
1555 carbon props
T-motors MN4010-370
T30A 400 Hz ESC Are these ones suitable for the selected motors?
FPV set Requires 11 V power, should I add a small battery? Or adapter? Any example of such 22->11V adapter?
Camera remote + HDMI-AV converter As I understand, can be powered from Naza board
FrSky Taranis X9D plus + X8R receiver

How about low voltage protection? Should I add some unit?

AzViper

I would go with the NAZA M V2. The 810 comes with two battery mounts. The ESC's look to be OK. Batteries AOK. I used a power distribution board that allowed me to feed 22.4 volts into it and the board stepped the power down to 12VDC and 5VDC. You will also want to buy a pair of these of the red and black connectors. These are anti spark connectors they will connect between your power distribution and your Y battery harness.

tarot-810-folding-carbon-fiber-hexacopter-frame-large.jpg

rH3INx.jpg

o1SGkd.jpg

Well, the problem is: this will be my first copter, I have never hold any copters in my hands and I don't recognize details on pictures (since I have never seen them live). That's why I'm asking what should I buy. When I get all this puzzle in my hands, I'll start to look to the pictures :)
Yes, I have seen you "sandwich" design made in order to decrease interference between electronics and GPS antenna (if I understood correctly). Looks interesting, I could consider this for future adjustment

It seems that I've missed very important, but rather obvious moment. Is it so that I do need also a power distribution board? Obviously, I have only 2 connections at the battery exit and I need to connect at least 6 pairs of ESC's and 1 pair of Naza. Strange, that I didn't think about this before. But there is no so big choise of power distribution boards. And in this kit I don't see any board either. http://www.helipal.com/tarot-t810-hexacopter-combo.html

Sorry If I'm asking totally dumb questions, I'm trying to learn :)

AzViper

No question is a dumb. PDB on the left is what would be used to power up all the ESC's. This leaves you a total of 2 pairs of connection. The positive and negative that's inside is where the the power from the battery will connect using the anti spark connectors. One of the remaining pairs would power the Naza and the other could be used to power the stepdown PDB thats on the right that will give you 5vdc and 12vdc.

AzViper

Its up to you. I find that is rather easy using the PDB as you can shorten the wires for a tidy fit and look. Another drawing with the anti spark connectors.

l3H1fV.jpg

AzViper

Your also going to need a XT9o connector that will connect to your battery Y harness . This connector will need wire leads so that you can solder the anti spark connectors. Then you need red and black 10g wire to solder to the distribution board that you will solder the opposite end of the anti spark connectors.

Once you have the copter built and radio / naza programed you will have the PROPS REMOVED, turn the radio on (radio always needs to be ON before connecting the battery) , connect the black ground first then followed by connecting the red. The red anti spark connector has a resistor built into the connector. You first slide the connector together making contact with the resistor then onto the entire length of the barrel of the connector.

Please do a lot of reading in NAZA before connecting the batteries.

Ok, one more question. It would be so much easier to use not specialized screen for FPV, but just phone. I could install this kit
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...e_5_8Ghz_200mw_FPV_Wireless_AV_Tx_Rx_Set.html
So, video would be transferred to the ground as AV signal, and then I would need some AV->wifi converter to show it on my phone. Is it possible?
Particularly, DJI Phantom are using this approach, but their AV-wifi converter is built in into transmitter.
I tried to search for "AV to wifi converters" but found nothing aplicable

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Does not DJI have an app that does just this? It requires their data-link kit though.