1st copter build (Tarot 680) - criticism needed

AzViper

KDE 3510 475KV Motor

kv9CJZ.jpg

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Don't even get me started on why KDE's style of customer service is such an oddity in this industry - but suffice to say it is far and away the best. They simply care about their customers and their products. At this point - that is worth its weight in gold to me.

AzViper

Going 14.8V the battery packs will be on the lighter side this giving more flight time and KDE motors are more efficient.

Ok, thanks for hint to KDE, smth to think about.

A few common technical questions:
1. Carbon props from T-motors are rather costly (76 USD for 15*5 pair). Are they worth it, or can I use some cheaper ones? Namely, which brands?
2. Camera gimbals are often powered by 3s battery. Does it mean that I need an extra small 3s 900mAh battery for gimbal? Or can I use some adapter from my 6s battery?
3. Is 810 frame suitable for disassembling? (For example, if I want to travel by plane to another country)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
1. I think T-motors props are supposed to be better quality control making them easier to balance. But you DO have to balance them. So I've always gotten cheaper CF props (t-motor style 3-hole) and spent more time balancing. I chose more time over more money :). Many places/companies sell knock-offs.

2. You can either run a smaller 3S or get a adjustable buck converter to dial down the voltage being sent to the gimbal. Make sure you check with gimbal controller you'll use - some can handle the step-down themselves.

3. Not sure if the 810 is foldable.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Perfect! I think you may want to plan for keeping it in the foldable position. The hassle of getting the tubes/booms assembled and motor mounts level/aligned would likely take more than an hour. Not impossible - but a total pain in the ass.

Let's say, is it doable twice a year before and after flight to some other country?
Or should I just buy big enough case to fit it in the folded form?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Oh, that's a different story. I think twice a year is probably fine. I deal with technical difficulties weekly (if I'm lucky!), bi-annually is no biggie :)

Price out the cases for both sizes and see what you can save - and also wether the total size of the folded hex puts you in an extra charge for baggage.

Either way, having to do it twice a year is really no big deal.

AzViper

I bought props made by Storm and balance them. I also purchased a power distribution board that has outputs of 5v and 12v that I will connect to my other power distribution board that supplies the 22.4v. The Naza outputs to the gimbal 12v I believe.

Remember you will need to use Loctite on all your screws, nuts, etc. this making it more difficult to remove the tubes. If you remove the props the 810 folds up nicely.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If you use blue Loctite you shouldn't have an issue removing the bolts. You'll just need to reapply. Red is another story.

The landing gear does not retract on its own. It's just a hinge that allows you to collapse it when traveling. If you want retractable landing gear - that requires a modification - I believe Tarot is now making fairly inexpensive retracts, but I'm not sure of the weight they suggest it can hold.

Unless you plan to have the 3rd axis pan very dramatically - you would probably be fine with the stock landing gear.

AzViper

Loctite blue 242 only. If you use red then you will need heat to break it loose. Tarot uses brass embedded nuts molded into the plastic and heat is not a option.

AzViper

When you use Blue 242 use just enough to coat a few threads very lightly. If you cover the entire thread it will be a ***** to get the screws out.

Remember to Loctite every screw!!!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'd also recommend trying the scotch tape trick (from CPO) around the booms where they clamp. I've hd some issues with the booms doing in their mounts after long flight days. Bolts were tight - just a function of the clamps.

Also, don't overtighten the motor mounts. The plastic can break fairly easily if you try to wrench on it.

AzViper

I'd also recommend trying the scotch tape trick (from CPO) around the booms where they clamp. I've hd some issues with the booms doing in their mounts after long flight days. Bolts were tight - just a function of the clamps.

Also, don't overtighten the motor mounts. The plastic can break fairly easily if you try to wrench on it.

This is why I went with these mounts as the screw goes through the carbon fiber and then clamps down. I found aluminum motor mounts but they only clamp on to the boom.

Z1AuBc.jpg

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Is that just the older mount? People seemed to like the newer version when I reasearched the 680Pro, but drilling a hole would have really made it much better. I'll be doing that when I tear it apart. Having it keyed is....well, key :)

The issue I was having with spinning was actually at the center plate. But that mod is worth while for sure.

AzViper

Is that just the older mount? People seemed to like the newer version when I reasearched the 680Pro, but drilling a hole would have really made it much better. I'll be doing that when I tear it apart. Having it keyed is....well, key :)

The issue I was having with spinning was actually at the center plate. But that mod is worth while for sure.

Not sure, its a motor mount that currently being sold for the T650 and T680. This is the same mount in aluminum.

BtkRT3.jpg