RC Timer extended Flame wheel arms

Kilby

I jut got a set of the RC timer extended arms. They seem pretty nice so far, but I'll revisit this after I've actually flown with them. They are much longer, and surprisingly have less flex, than the originals.

I put them in an old 450 frame I had laying around it it increased the motor to motor length up to 70 cm. the only thing that's a little funny is the height of the arms. They are actually shorter than the stock ones.

View attachment 8629
View attachment 8630
View attachment 8631

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357238767.981441.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357238767.981441.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 593
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357238786.638768.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357238786.638768.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 621
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357238802.838590.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357238802.838590.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 400

kloner

Aerial DP
I had no idea it was that much bigger. That'd make a killer set of arms to try the x8 with it. is there a choice of length

Kilby

They only have one size listed on their site right now. They also offer this as a whole frame kit with their clone F550 frame hubs. If you order the arms alone, but sure to order screws. They don't use the standard DJI screws, it's one size larger.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
WOW, that 450 is big now :) .. I guess it would make it more stable, are you going to put landing skids on the bottom of the 450?

Kilby

I actually never intended to put it on the 450, but they do look cool on there. That was actually just a spare frame I had hanging on the wall as decoration. Originally, I got these to use on my F550 which would make it the same size as an S800. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I have to wait for more parts to show up anyway, so I have a little time to think it over.

Chalagi, here is the link to the whole frame. It's only $60!
http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=809&productname=

VINHEX

Was looking into to getting these for my F550 must admit looked quite strong interested to see how this all turns out, are you changing motors or keeping all std?

Kilby

Was looking into to getting these for my F550 must admit looked quite strong interested to see how this all turns out, are you changing motors or keeping all std?

I've been using the Avroto short shafts with the 550 since I first built it. Originally, much like yourself I think, I had extended the arms out to a 650 size with some carbon fiber extensions I designed and had cut out. When I first ordered these new arms, I had the hopes of just replacing what I currently have and stepping up to a 12 inch prop for right now, then moving over to a 6s/15inch prop set up in the spring. Right now I'm still weighing my options.

I've debated doing the same thing to my F550, 15" props and 6s is really the way to go.. Were you going to use the RCtimer 350kv motors or did you have others in mind? I'm probably going to order some arms/motors/esc sometime febuary or march. Looking forward to see progress!

Kilby

I've debated doing the same thing to my F550, 15" props and 6s is really the way to go.. Were you going to use the RCtimer 350kv motors or did you have others in mind? I'm probably going to order some arms/motors/esc sometime febuary or march. Looking forward to see progress!

I'm still up in the air on what to do. I'm planning a new frame build, so I was thinking that I would hold off and just put all the 6S stuff on the new frame. In the meantime, I might put these arms on my 550 and then spin some 12 inch APC's instead of the 11 inch Graupner's I've got on there now. I have a hunch that would work out better, and it would take minimal effort to do the switch.

I've been thinking about these motors, I really like the quality of the 2216 sunnysky's on my Y6. I can't decide on upgrading my F550 with these arms, or going with a new frame, maybe S800 clone, But I know I want 15" props and 6S.

Chalagi

I"m just wondering how stable those arms would be after slapping on the Avrotor M2814-11s motors. They pack some power in punch outs with 11 inch props.

Kilby

I"m just wondering how stable those arms would be after slapping on the Avrotor M2814-11s motors. They pack some power in punch outs with 11 inch props.

Not as much power as the 15inch props with a 6S motor that the arms are designed for. I'm sure they will be fine. TBH, they seem stronger than the DJI arms, and I have no problems with those, even after I extended them out to 650 size.

I have no problem with extended DJI arms and 11" props.. Did you ever do anything with these arms Kilby? What motors would you use? I'm getting very close to ordering for my hex, sometime next week, just can't decide on motors yet.

mongo

lost soul
how hard does it appear to be to use coaxial motor set up on those "long arms"?
been wanting to do a long armed 550 as a y-6 for a while.

That would be really cool too! I did it on DJI arms using the motor mounts that came with my motors, and drilling holes in the dji arms. Could probably do something similar on these arms

Attachments

• DSC00467.jpg
    DSC00467.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 298

I just threw on the anodized aluminum extenders for the DJI550 and was surprised at the extra lift I got. I went from Graup 10s to 11s on a 4S system and the lift and stability was notable. Are people having issues with these at 11"?