Aeronavics / Droidworx XM X4 Build log

Bluerex

It's a bit premature starting the Build Log with so few parts in hand, but I thought it might be useful to track lead times as well as assembly time.
I was going to keep a bit of a track of costs, but my beloved wife Kelly has asked not to know :frog:

So.....
Stage 1: 22/11/12
AV130 arrives from Photohigher. Cart before Horse maybe but I plan on sharing the gimbal between the new DW and my existing F550.
Ordered frame from Lucy at Droidworx.
Ordered 40A Plush ESCs from HobbyKing
Ordered AXI 2814 / 22 from ElectricWingMan in the UK

Which should account for most of the big-ticket items (and coincidently, most of my budget).
I already have FPV camera and Tx, Hoverfly Pro and GPS and optima9 Rx ready for transplant.

C

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
After you have built her I am afraid to say your F550 will be sat on the shelf! Not sure why with a XMX4 you would want to swap out the mount to a F550!

What motors are you going to use? Are you using the DW power distro board?

Dave

Bluerex

Just keeping my options open Dave :)
Some of the dusty conditions I fly would destroy my canon 550d so I thought the F550 with a GoPro might be an option (truth is I will most likely just hard mount to the flamewheel but ya never know) Oh and of course the X4 will still be a couple of months till she is flying..

Motors are going to be AXI 2814 / 22 from ElectricWingMan in the UK. And yes I bought the DW power board to go with it.

C

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Keep us posted as you go.. Paul (electricwingman)is a regular receiver from my paypal account !.. great service

Good luck

Dave

Bluerex

Update: 23/11/2012
HobbyKing order shipped from warehouse (China?)
ElectricWinMan order shipped from the UK
XM and power board order processed and paid for

Thanks to the great people across multiple time zones that are helping bring all this together.

One whinge... if your company was called the "Australia and New Zealand" bank, would you get away with charging $100+ for transferring money between Australia and New Zealand????? Grrrrr

C

Bluerex

Update: 24/11/2012
I chickened out. I have been having Alt Hold issues with my Hoverfly Pro board which I have been testing on a F550 frame. Today I spent time at the local playing field trying to get some joy out of the Alt Hold gain adjustment and made no progress what so ever. - So I ordered a WKM for the new craft.
I really want to persevere with the Hoverfly, it has a bunch of great features and a manual written in English. The developers spend time on the forums answering questions themselves...... but I just don't feel I can risk bouncing the new frame into the ground the way the F550 does at any gain setting (unless I have the gain almost all the way down in which case there's no real Holding going on at all). So I think I will shelve the HFP for a while.

Disappointed (and now seriously over budget)

C

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
MMMM.. have you posted your findings in the HF Discussion forum?

I know a few guys on ere using them successfully.. May be its just a little help needed.. Dont give up I am sure there is an answer to your problems. I cant help as I dont have a HFP.. again try posting in the HFPDF

Dave

Bluerex

Hi Dave,
Yes I have raised it on the HF forum, one other guy is experiencing exactly the same symptoms....
I think the WKM is a good way to go at the moment (especially seeing your set-up). With my skills still at the "hang camera in space and frame shot" stage I think a good Alt/Pos hold is more important to me than "buttery smoothness" I expect this to change over time (and as I get better) but for now...

C

Bluerex

Update: 26/11/2012
YAY!! The first DHL box arrived this afternoon. The winner is.... ElectricWingMan!
So that's the motors sorted...

Bluerex

Quickie Update:29/11/2012
I had hoped to be able to report more but unfortunately EMS parcel tracking is useless :)
BUT... The guys at https://www.xc-rc.com.au delivered the goods yesterday... a poster tube (gasp! could it be my collector's edition David Hasselhoff print?) No! it was just (just?) a dozen APC Slow flier 12x3.8 props (I hadn't realised how big these things would be). I spent a quiet but satisfying afternoon balancing (and taking off the razor like edges) from the big grey sky paddles.

c

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Quickie Update:29/11/2012
I had hoped to be able to report more but unfortunately EMS parcel tracking is useless :)
BUT... The guys at https://www.xc-rc.com.au delivered the goods yesterday... a poster tube (gasp! could it be my collector's edition David Hasselhoff print?) No! it was just (just?) a dozen APC Slow flier 12x3.8 props (I hadn't realised how big these things would be). I spent a quiet but satisfying afternoon balancing (and taking off the razor like edges) from the big grey sky paddles.

c

Why you chosen them? What FC.. WKM? Graupner 11x5 electro are the fellas

Dave

Bluerex

I picked the 12x3.8 as a starting point. I really appreciate the toughness of the APC Slow Fliers on my F550 so I figured at least for the first few flights a prop that can survive a rough landing without shattering was a good thing.
The Graupners are a bit harder to come by down here, but I am quite open to suggestions :)
I have decided to shelve my Hoverfly Pro for the time being and run with a WKM for a starter.
This is very much a work in progress and my initial choices may be way out... but ya gotta start somewhere :) :)

C

nicwilke

I picked the 12x3.8 as a starting point. I really appreciate the toughness of the APC Slow Fliers on my F550 so I figured at least for the first few flights a prop that can survive a rough landing without shattering was a good thing.
The Graupners are a bit harder to come by down here, but I am quite open to suggestions :)
I have decided to shelve my Hoverfly Pro for the time being and run with a WKM for a starter.
This is very much a work in progress and my initial choices may be way out... but ya gotta start somewhere :) :)

C

Hey mate,
I've been playing with multiple types of props, on similar sized motors. I'm on MT2814-11 Tigers, very close to your axis motors.
I find that 13x4.5's are too big, 12x5's Xoar wood props are superb but not great with a fat-hog craft like mine, 12x4's Gemfan wood are good, Gemfan 13x4.5's plastic are OK, and waiting for the APC 12x3.8s.... I will try the Graupner 11x5's this weekend while I wait.
I was running 8x graupner 11x5's on my ADX-4, superb.

Where are your photos?

Bluerex

Wow, thanks Nic that's really useful info.
As for the pics :) Well at the moment it's just a couple of boxes and a Aussie Post postage tube (great way to ship props BTW) but as soon as I have anything to share, I will

C

nicwilke

mate,
Can you weigh the PDB and let me know its weight. I'm shaving off some excess weight and want to know if I just pull the droidworx PDB off and wire it. I'm thinking its about 160g. Have you got it handy, I'd have to disassemble my XM6 to weigh it (and remove the ESC's). I just want to make sure its worth it.

Bluerex

Sorry Nic, the frame hasn't arrived yet (another week I think ). Happy to weigh the board if you can wait that long

C