kloner

Aerial DP
maybe the speeding up did make it look like that, but this isn't rocket science, you can see the props and camera moving left to right in an oscillation. pretty basic stuff

sk8brd

yup- bringing my yaw gains up helped my 450 and phantom with the dog like tail waggle/ yaw wiggle during hover and flight. almost made my zen hero look 3 axis...well kinda. lol

Quinton

maybe the speeding up did make it look like that, but this isn't rocket science, you can see the props and camera moving left to right in an oscillation. pretty basic stuff
OK thanks, I thought that was just the GPS trying to constantly correct him.
I never notice much difference in Yaw gains, maybe I need to look harder, or you notice it more on small machines.

sk8brd

if your not using a 3 axis gimbal then you will notice it most. i will say manual mode in fast forward flight seems the best compared to atti or gps even with gains dialed in on a naza but it's hard to fly that way of course. i heard someone say the naza's were worse compared to the wk.'s, a2 or other fc's when it came to the yaw oscillation during forward flight. i don't have anything in the air yet beside the naza to test. it wouldn't be a bad idea though to set any 3 axis gimbal fpv only mode and tune it that way the best you can at the copter's weight then you know by the footage if there's some wag during forward flight or not.

bensid54

Thanks for the video I'm sure that place is haunted and what type of camera are you using? What gimbal system do you have and what are the gains set at?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I use the Zenmuse and Panasonic GH2 with 14mm lens. If you mean gains on the gimbal then, no gains! Zenmuse doesn't let you adjust anything.

tonyh0905

Thanks for your observations. what yaw gain would you recommend? does flying in gps mode add to this effect?

kloner

Aerial DP
oooh, that's a great question. i'm not sure. to me it looks like i'd try adding 5 to the yaw gain and fly it, see if it got better or increased... you can move that gain to a knob and tickle it to find the sweet spot. i bet a altitude gain could have a small affect on this too if it was surging up and down a little.... It just has the little wiggle you almost don't have, but is there... wind can add to it, but gained right they battle there way through most of it

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Here's a video I made over the weekend. Finally, Spring is here!

Cheers!

I have a question and in no way is this to be taken as a downer or a diss. The footage is amazing, the piloting is exceptional and the panning is spot on.
BUT, in a few tiny instances I saw a bit of jello at like 1:09 and a few other spots.

And mind you I am being ultra, insanely critical, but I want to know.... is that acceptable on an ultra professional level.

i am spending hours and hours and hours trying to rid myself of those tiny imperfections, and for my sanity i would like to know a general consensus.

And again I stress... 99.55 of everyone would be blown away with that footage, as it’s gorgeous. But can “perfect" be a real expectation at all?

I lose sleep at night over this stuff on a daily basis.

Last edited by a moderator:

sk8brd

tonyh905-i don't want to answer for kloner but gps mode is the worse mode to film in, try atti. when in gps mode when you let go of the sticks the fc tries to hold the position in atti it can drift around more smoothly. i get way more smoother footage in atti using the drift to ease in an out forward motion

Last edited by a moderator:

sk8brd

Benjamin-killer work. Sleepyc- i have the same ocd like nature and at this point for me- i would call it obsessive and unhealthy.. i think the jello may be frame related although the thing i wrestle with is that every 5d zen footage i see does not exhibit any jello which is weird to me. i don't want to post video's on here that are not mine but if you do a search on youtube- z15-5d then restrict search by this month you will see various test's of fast forward flight and by the look's of it there's zero jello. the frame used on the test are not the s800 frame's though. So perfect i think is attainable. freefly has attained it on there vids jelllo wise but not sure of there post practices. part of me think's the design of the zen 5d being slightly different reduces the jello. the way those black rubber compression balls are designed are slightly different then on the gh3 version. This is my theory at least. i been told that any jello issues are a result of the frame but who know's really. i will know shortly on my next build though and will post result's using a gh3 zen on a carbon frame.

tonyh0905

oooh, that's a great question. i'm not sure. to me it looks like i'd try adding 5 to the yaw gain and fly it, see if it got better or increased... you can move that gain to a knob and tickle it to find the sweet spot. i bet a altitude gain could have a small affect on this too if it was surging up and down a little.... It just has the little wiggle you almost don't have, but is there... wind can add to it, but gained right they battle there way through most of it

Actually I kinda forced my own hand on this one. I upgraded the firmware on my NAZA M to 4.02, and my gains got set to 90% across the board. I've upped them to 120% for all except yaw which is 150%. I'm using a lowly DX6i so no gain tweaking on the fly for me!

tonyh905-i don't want to answer for kloner but gps mode is the worse mode to film in, try atti. when in gps mode when you let go of the sticks the fc tries to hold the position in atti it can drift around more smoothly. i get way more smoother footage in atti using the drift to ease in an out forward motion

I normally fly in ATTI, but this was one of my first long range FPV flights, and I was a little nervous of losing the video feed. As my confidence builds I will go back to ATTI.

Ben....beautiful shots...that's the sort of quality I aspire to.