Kari

Mombasa, seems we both have the same panasonic. Apart from the colours seeming over saturated, how do you find your SD9 as regards vibration???

Ross

Hello,

I'm using Panasonic SD90 for now and quite happy with it. 28mm equivalent wide angle and 1080/50p, also happy with optics for it's price. In low light not even close to slr:s but in daylight just fine. Stabilizer is also very efficient imo. I have 5D mk2 but don't find it very useful for mr use at the moment. We'll see what mk3 will be, should be launched next week. Now looking anyway for mft size system but really dont know should i go for nex7, 5n or panasonic GH2. Any other recommendations?

Kari

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Mombasa, seems we both have the same panasonic. Apart from the colours seeming over saturated, how do you find your SD9 as regards vibration???

Ross

I do not find the HDC colour over saturated but it does have a bit of a blue cast. But then this is really only apparent in side by side tests with another camera. I once did a four camera test with a Panasonic HPX171, the Canon 5Dmk2, the HDC-SD9 and a GoPro. It was a sunny summer day in the country. The most appealing colour overall was the GoPro !!!!! Next was the HPX, then the 5D and the finally the HDC-SD9 - because of the blue cast. However, the HDC has produced some really nice results when strapped to a Raptor 50. I have posted an example here before. As for vibration, if there is any getting through to the camera it is manifested as a fuzzy image. The camera was selected largely due to its 3CCD because they are more resilient and do not show the same nasty artifacts that we see all the time from CMOS sensors. GoPro's are the absolute worst. If you want to use a GoPro the camera mount HAS to be completely vibration free, other wise the image looks really poor with all that wobble.

The big Panasonic HPX is also 3CCD, so it does not display any jello. The 5D and NEX-5 both have CMOS but as yet they have not presented any problems when flown on the AD-8 and neither has the 5D when flown on the big gasser.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... Yesterday I was looking at alternative lenses for the 5N and there isn't that much available although I did see a Carl Zeiss lens for it but at $999 it costs 150% the price of the 5N itself!

It is a great form factor for APV use and considering everything else I've tried that isn't insanely expensive, it's a pretty good compromise. If I were really concerned about the end result I'd be doing it as a business with insurance to cover the gear and using something like a NEX FS100. AS things stand right now, the 5N is the biggest thing I can easily fit on the AV130 hanging under the CineStar and still get reasonable video out of it.

Yes to everything. The E-Mount lens choice is virtually non-existant and the only 'good' one, the unreasonably priced Zeiss, is not a suitable focal length. I have umm'd and ahh'd about being totally irresponsible and buying an FS100 but the same lens mount with the same crappy NEX lens rather dilutes my enthusiasm for it - thankfully. We are apparently supposed to use converters and then use anything we want. But I don't WANT a big heavy lens on an adapter. I want a nice small, light lens to go with the small, light camera and if my Pentax Optio Point-&-Shoot compact can produce sharper images on full auto than this so called High Definition NEX there is something wrong somewhere and we are all being taken for a ride.

Anyway, if i cannot get something more impressive out of the NEX I will try a GH2, since that one seems to be producing sharp raw video. The camera has to stay small but it has to deliver convincing quality looking HD images. I have arrived at the position where I believe building bigger and bigger multi-rotors in order to lift heavy pro cameras is going down the wrong road. With eight motors that are nearly 1 kg each and the massive batteries required to lift it all there is just too much amperage, too much heat, too many Kgs.

Macsgrafs

I do not find the HDC colour over saturated but it does have a bit of a blue cast. But then this is really only apparent in side by side tests with another camera. I once did a four camera test with a Panasonic HPX171, the Canon 5Dmk2, the HDC-SD9 and a GoPro. It was a sunny summer day in the country. The most appealing colour overall was the GoPro !!!!! Next was the HPX, then the 5D and the finally the HDC-SD9 - because of the blue cast. However, the HDC has produced some really nice results when strapped to a Raptor 50. I have posted an example here before. As for vibration, if there is any getting through to the camera it is manifested as a fuzzy image. The camera was selected largely due to its 3CCD because they are more resilient and do not show the same nasty artifacts that we see all the time from CMOS sensors. GoPro's are the absolute worst. If you want to use a GoPro the camera mount HAS to be completely vibration free, other wise the image looks really poor with all that wobble.

The big Panasonic HPX is also 3CCD, so it does not display any jello. The 5D and NEX-5 both have CMOS but as yet they have not presented any problems when flown on the AD-8 and neither has the 5D when flown on the big gasser.

That's strange & totally opposite to the results I get. If I go back to my trex600 days, then the gopro was far better quality than my SD9 when subjected to fast movement & vibration.

Ross

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I agree with Macsgrafs, I also have the 3ccd sd9 and find the colours to be a bit over saturated - grass was a bit too green mainly. I might give it another go though as I do like the camera and it is quite light plus I have better software now to compensate. With t gopro and vibrations, on multirotors anyway, I find it's more down to the motors and prop selection than reducing vibrations - i.e, producing a vibration frequency that does not disturb the Gopro's sensor.

Macsgrafs

I agree with Macsgrafs, I also have the 3ccd sd9 and find the colours to be a bit over saturated - grass was a bit too green mainly. I might give it another go though as I do like the camera and it is quite light plus I have better software now to compensate. With t gopro and vibrations, on multirotors anyway, I find it's more down to the motors and prop selection than reducing vibrations - i.e, producing a vibration frequency that does not disturb the Gopro's sensor.

I didnt want to mention the over saturated greens, to see if anyone else has the same problem, you have confirmed that its not just me. What software are you using for editing RC Flying? Do you find your gopro to be better or your panasonic?

Ross

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I'm using Adobe Premiere, or a bit of Director 10 sometimes and even vReveal a little bit. Not quite figured out how everything works in Premiere, so I use the other two as well when I probably don't need to.

I have a Panasonic HDC SD-800 now, which is way better than the Gopro or the SD9 9 (though the Gopro has unique uses that can't be achieved with a normal camcorder). I haven't compared the SD9 to the Gopro really. I've got quite a collection of cameras now; 2 x Gopro hd, 1 Gopro 2, Panasonic SD9, Panasonic SD-800, Panasonic SD-40, Canon G10, Canon 550D, Flip HD, Kodak Playsport HD, Action Cam 720P HD, G200 pocket video recorder... plus various non-descript little DV cameras and a few I've probably missed.

The ones I keep coming back to, use the most, are the SD 800 and the Gopros.

Macsgrafs

I'm using Adobe Premiere, or a bit of Director 10 sometimes and even vReveal a little bit. Not quite figured out how everything works in Premiere, so I use the other two as well when I probably don't need to.

I have a Panasonic HDC SD-800 now, which is way better than the Gopro or the SD9 9 (though the Gopro has unique uses that can't be achieved with a normal camcorder). I haven't compared the SD9 to the Gopro really. I've got quite a collection of cameras now; 2 x Gopro hd, 1 Gopro 2, Panasonic SD9, Panasonic SD-800, Panasonic SD-40, Canon G10, Canon 550D, Flip HD, Kodak Playsport HD, Action Cam 720P HD, G200 pocket video recorder... plus various non-descript little DV cameras and a few I've probably missed.

The ones I keep coming back to, use the most, are the SD 800 and the Gopros.

I only use premiere, its the only one I know how to use ;) ;)
You have enough cameras to start your own shop...look out Jessops ;)

Ross

mitmit

snowy reel from Russia
looks much better in HD with sound)
cheers
Dimitri

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

That's very impressive flying Dimitri, vry smooth. Are you going to tell us what you fly, FC board etc etc. Was there any post stabilisation involved?

Ross

mitmit

thanks Ross,
no poststab. color grading and couple of eposodes were slowed down a bit to fit music.
platform is mk based y6 hex.

cheers

Macsgrafs

That gives me so much hope, considering all the really stable videos seem to be DJI, so this is a refreshing change for us MK owners ;)
Have you any ,ore footage mitmit?

Ross

Macsgrafs

Johan, shame you couldnt get closer to those skaters, it would been a perfect opportunity to test out your skills at following a moving target. I see some vibration, which you can hear on the mount as well.....something needs tightening I think, but only you know your setup.

Regards
Ross

mitmit

That gives me so much hope, considering all the really stable videos seem to be DJI, so this is a refreshing change for us MK owners ;)
Have you any ,ore footage mitmit?

Ross
I also own wkm and wasnt able to get good results. to be honest, I yet did not seen REALLY stable footage from dji at all.
if not to talk about stabilized in post.
hope it will be possible with their new gimbal..
cheers

Macsgrafs

I also own wkm and wasnt able to get good results. to be honest, I yet did not seen REALLY stable footage from dji at all.
if not to talk about stabilized in post.
hope it will be possible with their new gimbal..
cheers

A lot of people are praying for this new gimbal, but it seems to be very much up in the air (excuse pun) at this time!

Ross

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
snowy reel from Russia

What camera were you using there?

Did a recce for a château ruin that gets used for weddings and garden party type events. I am very much looking forward to doing this one.

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
Can just imagine Rapunzel in that tower......before you come and cut all her hair off with your MR:highly_amused:

Tahoe Ed

I just had to post this. It was filmed by James Cole a friend of mine in Lake Tahoe, CA. They finally had some snow and he took full advantage of it.