Here's some aerial video I took at a nephew's wedding this past weekend (segments will be part of the main videographers video he is putting together). I had to configure the S800 for single person, so my panning isn't as smooth as I'd like in some places.

Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
From a trip to one of the attractions nearby our cabin...

Made me smile when the music started. It is not often that we hear Grieg as the soundtrack around here. I used 'Morning' for one of the very early tests with the AD-8, a Sony NEX-5n and a regular old MK SLR-2 camera mount controlled by the MK FC.

I guess yours is more appropriate as you were actually shooting in Peer Gynt Land ! :)

rolf65

Made me smile when the music started. It is not often that we hear Grieg as the soundtrack around here. I used 'Morning' for one of the very early tests with the AD-8, a Sony NEX-5n and a regular old MK SLR-2 camera mount controlled by the MK FC.

I guess yours is more appropriate as you were actually shooting in Peer Gynt Land ! :)

I had that music in my head when walking to the top, and Edvard Grieg "Morning" just had to be the "team song" ;)

tombrown1

Here's some aerial video I took at a nephew's wedding this past weekend (segments will be part of the main videographers video he is putting together). I had to configure the S800 for single person, so my panning isn't as smooth as I'd like in some places.

Nice video! Some great shots in there. Don't you hate it when people can't stop staring at the machine? Just look normal people!

tombrown1

Nice video! Sometimes those fading transitions drive me nuts, but you made them beautiful with the slow transition in the tall grass! Also great job lining up the music with the video - the sun appears right at the climax - this adds a lot.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Because of the results I saw where someone uploaded a MR aerial video configured for HD 2.7k, i.e., (2716 x 1524) @ 30 fps, I was so impressed I decided to try the same but am restricted to a YouTube account for 1920 x 1080. In any case, where there is no jello it seems that 30 fps may be adequate and the benefit seems to be much sharper video images. Note: Playback might impose some restrictions due to your PC video card and sw capability and/or your Internet streaming speed. Here are the results..... feedback would be appreciated...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5AaKJg0zao

Because of the results I saw where someone uploaded a MR aerial video configured for HD 2.7k, i.e., (2716 x 1524) @ 30 fps, I was so impressed I decided to try the same but am restricted to a YouTube account for 1920 x 1080. In any case, where there is no jello it seems that 30 fps may be adequate and the benefit seems to be much sharper video images. Note: Playback might impose some restrictions due to your PC video card and sw capability and/or your Internet streaming speed. Here are the results..... feedback would be appreciated...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5AaKJg0zao
On my GoPro setup I almost always record in 2.7k (unless I really need 60fps) for the same reasons that RED and BlackMagic record at higher resolutions that 1080p: you get a lot of flexibility. You can zoom and crop your video to 1080p and frame your shot for the area of interest without loss of data or resolution (as long as it isn't more that 2.5 zoom). You can also apply video stabilization without loss of resolution, something you can't get if you record at 1080p.
I say keep recording at 2.7k.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Very nice Kloner - RED on the ground and NEX in the air -
Outstanding!!!
World class video here..................Great work Kloner....
good job J

Steady on chaps. What is this? The Mutual Admiration Society?

And what am I missing here? GoPro's and RED's in the same sentence discussing the merits of resolution? Frankly, that GoPro footage looks as pig-ugly as any other GoPro footage with its awful barrel distortion and rampant rolling shutter. Just because the video looks unnaturally sharp doesn't mean its good. So precisely what benefit is 2.7K again? Oh, you can zoom in and retain resolution when downsizing to 1080! Ah! Well why not zoom in and lose the blades?

And the RED on the ground NEX in the air ... sorry, erm, why is that video here? Five and a half endless minutes of gratuitous slo-mo with twenty seconds of NEX. I suspect that the NEX footage is probably a whole load more interesting than all that tedious slo-mo but it didn't make the cut. It was the same with the release of the FS700. We all had to suffer meaningless slo-mo videos.

Yawn.

hjls3

Thank you for the kind words guys -

AND here you go Mombasa - maybe you will like this more - same event - all aerial - the video is here because I thought it was interesting - sorry it made you yawn - perhaps this one wont...

or maybe this one is more to your liking ( i Like this one more but solely because it has a bunch of SUPing) - again - same event - and all aerial - personally i am a bit more into combining the aerial stuff and ground footage nowadays but that is just me.

- if these dont have a reason to be here, in your (apparently very educated) opinion...just LMK - but anywho = enjoy...or dont.

Steady on chaps. What is this? The Mutual Admiration Society?

And what am I missing here? GoPro's and RED's in the same sentence discussing the merits of resolution? Frankly, that GoPro footage looks as pig-ugly as any other GoPro footage with its awful barrel distortion and rampant rolling shutter. Just because the video looks unnaturally sharp doesn't mean its good. So precisely what benefit is 2.7K again? Oh, you can zoom in and retain resolution when downsizing to 1080! Ah! Well why not zoom in and lose the blades?

And the RED on the ground NEX in the air ... sorry, erm, why is that video here? Five and a half endless minutes of gratuitous slo-mo with twenty seconds of NEX. I suspect that the NEX footage is probably a whole load more interesting than all that tedious slo-mo but it didn't make the cut. It was the same with the release of the FS700. We all had to suffer meaningless slo-mo videos.

Yawn.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Thanks ProPilot..... You also made me aware that there is no apparent loss of resolution as a consequence of post stabilization when done on 2.7k recording...... looks like I can put off the purchase of a Panasonic GH3 or BlackMagic Pocket camera for a bit longer now and remain content with the GoPro3 Black.....

Thanks ProPilot..... You also made me aware that there is no apparent loss of resolution as a consequence of post stabilization when done on 2.7k recording...... looks like I can put off the purchase of a Panasonic GH3 or BlackMagic Pocket camera for a bit longer now and remain content with the GoPro3 Black.....
Glad the tip helped. Also, in PremierePro, ensure that "auto scaling" is turned off when you stabilize your footage. Do you scaling post-stabilization.
Keep in mind you can effectively get the medium and narrow field of view out of your 2.7k footage. That way you can minimize distorted look of the Wide angle by scaling the video, though your subject matter now has to be more in the middle ~1/3 of the screen. Basically the Narrow FOV is doing a dot-for-dot of the center 1920x1080 pixels (i.e. a 2.51 scale), and Medium is somewhere around a 1.75 scale. Obviously, ultimately what you are after is not interpolating pixels (i.e. digital zoom) which happens once you go past 2.5 scaling.