juz

FPV pilot
My first time in the clouds...can't wait to go back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Efliernz

Pete
There is a fine line between having enough wind to go Blokarting and too much for a small tricopter!

After changing the Gopro lens for a Ragecam 6mm, I shot a few minutes of karting at Mt Mauganui, New Zealand. A dark and overcast winter afternoon, just before the rain poured down.
The mount isn't stabilized - I left the good stuff at home. While I like the fov from the 6mm lens, it is too soft in the edges. If I want to shoot better, I'll shoot with the better tools but as I said, this was all I had with me.

Pete

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
There is a fine line between having enough wind to go Blokarting and too much for a small tricopter!

After changing the Gopro lens for a Ragecam 6mm, I shot a few minutes of karting at Mt Mauganui, New Zealand. A dark and overcast winter afternoon, just before the rain poured down.
The mount isn't stabilized - I left the good stuff at home. While I like the fov from the 6mm lens, it is too soft in the edges. If I want to shoot better, I'll shoot with the better tools but as I said, this was all I had with me.

Pete

The lens looks good I think, the GoPro is challenged no matter what you do with it but changing the lens really does make a difference. Never seen blocarts before though in my part of the world we have something similar for frozen lakes in the winter, just on skate blades instead of tires!

Wind is something we deal with continually with the multis and I've finally got a setup that works about as well as you can ask for, still have a bit of tweaking to do on the mount settings but the GPS is working as well as it possibly can, here's a quick test of GPS position hold I did at the end of last week from my front yard. A bit breezy as you can see from the tree tops on the way up, and the shifting horizon at altitude is the result of the MK compensating for the wind which you can hear in the soundtrack. Shot from my Droidworx AD-6 heavy lifter using a GoPro HD with Sunex lens, you can see the major drawback to the GoPro as the cam tilts down and then back up, its inability to deal well with changing light conditions, but as you say for better quality use better equipment, I'll be trying out my Canon Vixia camcorder next.

I was quite happy with the way the MK held location considering the conditions, once I got off the ground I set GPS position hold and vario altitude control and let it climb slowly straight up, hands off the control sticks. When I figured I had burnt half my battery capacity I simply lowered the throttle until it started drifting back down. A bit of jello near the end as I had to make a couple quick adjustments to make sure I came down in the somewhat small obstacle free opening between the trees, power poles, electric lines, etc...

P.S. that extremely flat gray horizon is the Atlantic ocean approximately 15 miles to the east of the house

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Looks good ken.. guessing that aint the PH AV130 then?

Would have been nice to see what happened to the horizon if you had done a 360 rotation.. Most of the time it was petty level but I guess that is the limitations of the MK board.

Good though as most of the time you only ever need a 5 sec shot unless you are chasing something but then these things aint multi thousand dollar steady cams..

DAve

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Looks good ken.. guessing that aint the PH AV130 then?

Would have been nice to see what happened to the horizon if you had done a 360 rotation.. Most of the time it was petty level but I guess that is the limitations of the MK board.

Good though as most of the time you only ever need a 5 sec shot unless you are chasing something but then these things aint multi thousand dollar steady cams..

DAve

You are correct that is not the AV 130. Others may have better luck with the newer servos on the 130 but I can't get anywhere close to this level of steadiness with mine, its now living under my stock Hexa and I'll be using it for stills since its not at all suited to doing video as-is.

As for the AD-6 I'm still working on the optimal settings for the mount and I think a large part of the problem with this video is the platform just isn't leveled correctly to begin with, being belt drive it's possible to knock the platform hard enough to make the belt jump a tooth or two and I think that's what happened prior to the flight. I was more concerned with the GPS functionality than the camera mount at that point, next I'll revisit the leveling and compensation because I know it can and already has done better.

I would have done a 360 but the sun was low on the horizon behind me and turning 180 degrees would have produced little more than a washed out blur on the GoPro as it stared into the sun, one of the little buggers big shortcomings.

It's getting there slowly, I almost have things to where I want them now and I think in the right conditions I can get perfectly usable video between the hardware and software. Only taken a year to get to this point, whats a couple more weeks of tuning and adjusting after all that...:rolleyes:

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Good on ya for sticking with it Ken!

I may be crazy for all that has gone into this but I've got way too much time and $ invested to stop now!

I think I'll take a break from it and build another quad while I cogitate over what to do next... :)

Ken

Macsgrafs

Thats the problem Ken, we all have to much invested in these glorified toys at the end of the day. At least you are giving it a go & thats what counts, through people like yourself, we all learn, so please keep at it, not just for yourself...but for us, your fans ;)
We live 3 miles from the atlantic & on a quite night I can hear the waves. Any chance you could go to your local beach & get some video skimming over the waves..lower the better, but safety of your ship & people first of course ;)

Ross

Av8Chuck

Nice flying. How much does the FS100 weigh?

Looks nice and stable, the picture quality is quite flat, I guess that depends on which profile you were using, although its hard to tell online the picture quality doesn't look as good as the GH2.

Macsgrafs

Jeff that's very smooth mate, like the results personally. Some of the smoothest I've seen for a long time.

Ross

CopterCam

Looks nice and stable, the picture quality is quite flat, I guess that depends on which profile you were using, although its hard to tell online the picture quality doesn't look as good as the GH2.

Jeff,

Have to agree with Chuck on the image quality........... seems to fall short on the GH 2.

Looks to me like the FS 100's meter had a job dealing with the fluctuating light from shade to sun in the low light ?

Sid

The FS100 is around 3lbs with the 18-55. It just came back from a friend who dialed in a super flat scene setting for maximum latitude - plus my finishing skills are horrible :)

Cheers,
Jeff