RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Got a little practice in the goggles yesterday. Hope you lot enjoy it!

Looks good! Are you getting video feed from the same camera that did the recording or do you have a separate cam for that?

I just did the first test flight of my MK FPV quad using the Bluebeam whip antenna setup and GoPro with Sunex lens as video feed, a huge improvement over the old stick antennas I was using. It was also the first flight of this quad with FPV gear up and running, doesn't seem to be any interference issues (yet!) with either the Mk GPS or the video feed, that may change once I get the OSD gear installed.

Next I need to take it over to a big open area to get a full flight with goggles, not enough room to do much more than hover in A/H and P/H here at the house and with winds gusting to 15 mph at the moment even that is a bit iffy!

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilby

Mombassa, according to my wife I do not! We had a good laugh at when I was editing this about the egg shape of my head when the goggles are strapped on!

Thanks, Ross. Personally, I fly better in the goggles than out of them. I just try to maintain some level of forward flight most of the time. The great thing about FPV is no orientation problems... it's like playing a first person video game or something. ;-)

Kilby

Looks good! Are you getting video feed from the same camera that did the recording or do you have a separate cam for that?

I just did the first test flight of my MK FPV quad using the Bluebeam whip antenna setup and GoPro with Sunex lens as video feed, a huge improvement over the old stick antennas I was using. It was also the first flight of this quad with FPV gear up and running, doesn't seem to be any interference issues (yet!) with either the Mk GPS or the video feed, that may change once I get the OSD gear installed.

Next I need to take it over to a big open area to get a full flight with goggles, not enough room to do much more than hover in A/H and P/H here at the house and with winds gusting to 15 mph at the moment even that is a bit iffy!

Ken

Thanks, Ken!

I do have a dedicated FPV cam on board that I use to monitor battery voltage and such, but on this particular flight i was viewing through the GoPro. I just nuked both of my gimbal servos the other day, so it was basically hard mounted. I'm trying to get used to viewing through the main camera more, but horizon stabilization makes it a bit hard. After I get new gimbal servos, I might try dialing down the roll stabilization some and just use the pitch as it was.

-Terry

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Looks like it is high time to dip a toe in the FPV waters.

What are the recommendations for FPV-ready goggles with a decent quality image. One still has to enjoy it after all. Do they incorporate a receiver or do we hang the Yellow Jacket around our neck?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Looks like it is high time to dip a toe in the FPV waters.

What are the recommendations for FPV-ready goggles with a decent quality image. One still has to enjoy it after all. Do they incorporate a receiver or do we hang the Yellow Jacket around our neck?

The way to go is with the Fatshark Dominator goggles with built in RX, problem is good luck finding them in stock anywhere! Probably the hottest item in FPV gear at the moment they sell out literally as soon as they appear in stock on most any web store.

My current setup is a camera tripod that has the video RX mounted at the top with power supplies ( lipo batteries ) for both the RX and Fatshark base goggles I currently have and a whole lot of wiring for the goggles as well as a cheap digital video cam that I use to record the FPV video feed, usually when not using the GoPro as FPV feed. I'm tied to the tripod by the cable to the Fatshark goggles, as soon as I can get my hands on a set of the Dominators I'll swap the video TX on the quad over to a 600 mW Immersion I have waiting and eliminate the entire tripod setup making it much easier to just toss the quad and some basic gear in the car and go FPV'ing.

If I were doing FPV with fixed wing I'd be looking into some long range video gear but on a multi with limited flight time and no glide capability I don't plan on getting far enough away to need it so the 5.8 gHz stuff works fine for what I'm doing.

If you want an inexpensive plug and play system to give it try before dropping a lot of $ into it this will do the job... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...FPV_Headset_System_w_Camera_and_5_8G_TX_.html

Ken

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I had the fatsharks but I didnt like them as they do cut out all light. Also, the built in RX is not as good as other external setups, although clean with no wires. Bart turned me on to MyVu's which are discontinued but available on ebay from time to time. they are beter if you need to see the heli in close proximity but also be able to see what the camera is seeing. If you are doing all out FPV only then the fatsharks are pretty good. but i didnt have interest in flying a mile away from me, I really wanted them for framing the shot. All the FPV stuff is a PITA IMHO.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Got a little practice in the goggles yesterday. Hope you lot enjoy it!
Very nice NOE flying with FPV. I need more practice low flying with the goggles, I tend to stay high up and remove the goggles when I get near the ground.
Is that a Futaba radio by the way, 8FG or something? I'm thinking of going back to Futaba because I'm not satisfied with Spektrum.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I had the fatsharks but I didnt like them as they do cut out all light. Also, the built in RX is not as good as other external setups, although clean with no wires. Bart turned me on to MyVu's which are discontinued but available on ebay from time to time. they are beter if you need to see the heli in close proximity but also be able to see what the camera is seeing. If you are doing all out FPV only then the fatsharks are pretty good. but i didnt have interest in flying a mile away from me, I really wanted them for framing the shot. All the FPV stuff is a PITA IMHO.

If you want the full FPV experience the Fatsharks are one of the better setups, not really what you want or need for just lining up a shot. I had a set of the MyVu, they did work for getting the camera point of view but were completely useless for FPV because they let in too much light making it difficult to see the screen 100% of the time which is what you really need when relying on the goggles to fly.

The ideal would be an 8 or 9 inch monitor on a stand so I could simply look at the multi or the camera view, problem is the few that are usable in direct sunlight are extremely expensive. The alternative is to use a hood around the monitor or have it inside a vehicle neither of which is a great solution IMO.

Ken.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I use fatshark 5.8 goggles with a portable lawmate 1.2 receiver attached to the elasticated strap at the back of my head. So I'm still free to roam around and can choose between 1.2 and 5.8ghz.

Bowley

I use a tripod mounted 7" monitor, to be honest I dont find it too good for FPV, I dont get get that immersed feel, looking forward to trying goggles so goggles on the ever expanding shopping list!!
Something I find is that when you switch from between internal and external modes of piloting it can get confusing and scary.

Kilby

Very nice NOE flying with FPV. I need more practice low flying with the goggles, I tend to stay high up and remove the goggles when I get near the ground.
Is that a Futaba radio by the way, 8FG or something? I'm thinking of going back to Futaba because I'm not satisfied with Spektrum.

Thanks, RCF. That is an 8fg. I switched from a smaller Spektrum.

Using the Wookong with altitude hold makes flying low and fast MUCH easier, but I got my chops on an Open Pilot quad. By the time I could control that under most situations, I could control anything. After just a little more testing of failsafe, I have a whole list of places I'm going to go capture from above. Stay tuned. ;-)

ZAxis

MTB video edit

A quick edit from last weekend. no post stab.

[video]http://www.pinkbike.com/video/250314/#top[/video]
Lec

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Thanks, RCF. That is an 8fg. I switched from a smaller Spektrum.

Using the Wookong with altitude hold makes flying low and fast MUCH easier, but I got my chops on an Open Pilot quad. By the time I could control that under most situations, I could control anything. After just a little more testing of failsafe, I have a whole list of places I'm going to go capture from above. Stay tuned. ;-)
Does the 8fg allow you to program any channel into failsafe? I have a 7C but it only lets you do throttle on failsafe, which is no good for wookong.

ZAxis

Very nice. Did you do that one-man or two-man with a 360 gimbal?
It was done as a one man operation without a 360 gimbal. It was the first time a MR had been to such an event so it certainly took it's lion share of attention.
Lec

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
GOGGLES: I bought a pair of fatsharks with NO receiver in them, that way you're not tied to one frequency.

Ross
You aren't anyway, the 5.8 and 2.4 goggles have a video in, so you can either use the on board frequency or plug in an external receiver.

juz

FPV pilot
Nice flight Terry.

My maiden FPV flight of my HT-FPV frame...

Last edited by a moderator: