CarbonCore Octo 1000 setup???

Blacksails

Ok,

So i'm planning an AP platform which will at first be carrying a Sony Nex 5n, but will at a later date be carrying much more expensive cams like the 5d.

I've looked at the octo 1000 and the mega radius camera mount from Carboncore.co.uk and have spoken to Cam about it over email and am happy to go for it even though nobody has tested this mount yet. The reason i'm looking at the carboncore is that i can get the octo 1000 and mega radius mount for £1055, where as the droidworx set ups are way out of my budget.

The only thing i'm struggling with is the weight. I'm UK based and so really need to stay under the CAA's 7kg limit to be able to fly where I want without first obtaining express one off permissions from them.

The Octo 1000 weighs in at :1425g
The MegaRadius weighs in at 1790g
The DJI WKM :150g
8x Torxpower 3536 pro motors (quadcopters.co.uk): 816g
8x Turnigy plush 30A: 200g
Sony Nex 5N with kit lense : 405g
Wiring/distribution etc: around 320g
2x 6600mah 28c 14.8v lipos: 1326g

AUW = 6.43KG....... or there about

I've ran the setup through ecalc's xcoptercalc and with 14 x 3.8 props it should have:
50% throttle for hover
11 minutes hover time (with the Nex 5n on board)
Current draw at hover : 7.54A
Max current draw : 25.45A
Max load on battery : 18c
Motor efficiency at hover : 84.6%
Extra payload capabilities : 3.2kg
(would post a link but cant seem to get the calculators "generate link" function to work)

Thats a heavy ship though! It doesnt leave much room for upgrades later as I only have around 500g to play with before hitting 7kg.

My questions are, do you guys think this is a stupid set up/are ecalcs figures realistic? and how will the DJI cope with handling a 6.5kg ship? I've heard that the wkm doesn't perform well with heavier platforms.

Also, how much would the gimbals servos be draining from my flight time? Ecalc doesnt take this into consideration. Is it such a small amount as to not be noticed?

Any further suggestions?

Much appreciated

Alex

(when all goes ahead, there will be a build log)

Sebas600

Ok,

So i'm planning an AP platform which will at first be carrying a Sony Nex 5n, but will at a later date be carrying much more expensive cams like the 5d.

I've looked at the octo 1000 and the mega radius camera mount from Carboncore.co.uk and have spoken to Cam about it over email and am happy to go for it even though nobody has tested this mount yet. The reason i'm looking at the carboncore is that i can get the octo 1000 and mega radius mount for £1055, where as the droidworx set ups are way out of my budget.

The only thing i'm struggling with is the weight. I'm UK based and so really need to stay under the CAA's 7kg limit to be able to fly where I want without first obtaining express one off permissions from them.

The Octo 1000 weighs in at :1425g
The MegaRadius weighs in at 1790g
The DJI WKM :150g
8x Torxpower 3536 pro motors (quadcopters.co.uk): 816g
8x Turnigy plush 30A: 200g
Sony Nex 5N with kit lense : 405g
Wiring/distribution etc: around 320g
2x 6600mah 28c 14.8v lipos: 1326g

AUW = 6.43KG....... or there about

I've ran the setup through ecalc's xcoptercalc and with 14 x 3.8 props it should have:
50% throttle for hover
11 minutes hover time (with the Nex 5n on board)
Current draw at hover : 7.54A
Max current draw : 25.45A
Max load on battery : 18c
Motor efficiency at hover : 84.6%
Extra payload capabilities : 3.2kg
(would post a link but cant seem to get the calculators "generate link" function to work)

Thats a heavy ship though! It doesnt leave much room for upgrades later as I only have around 500g to play with before hitting 7kg.

My questions are, do you guys think this is a stupid set up/are ecalcs figures realistic? and how will the DJI cope with handling a 6.5kg ship? I've heard that the wkm doesn't perform well with heavier platforms.

Also, how much would the gimbals servos be draining from my flight time? Ecalc doesnt take this into consideration. Is it such a small amount as to not be noticed?

Any further suggestions?

Much appreciated

Alex

(when all goes ahead, there will be a build log)

Hey Alex,

I have a similar setup with WKM. if i could do it again I'd go for the MK because:

- I've bought the octo for the redundancy witch WKM does not give at all.
- Waypoint is free with MK
- Telemetry is free with MK
- Cleaner setup
- Compatible with Hercules II

the downside is that it's a bit more expensive the first buy and no protective casings.
I've been tuning and fiddling on my setup for some time now and #$^* keeps coming up.

But that is just my opinion. lots of peeps have had very good results with the WKM and I have no real experience with the MK stuff.
The biggest point for me would be the redundancy factor. and if you are planning to put a 5D on you MR you should worry about that to.

Some advice, take your time figuring out what it is you need/want before committing to the parts you are going to use. the downside of money is that you can only spend it once and this is an expensive build.

Your gimbal has no external pot meters as far as I can see. this limits the travel and reaction/power.
Turnigy plush 30A Is hard to get. Maytech is a good alternative and has a fast refresh (get the programing card with your ESC's)

good luck with the project

Last edited by a moderator:

Blacksails

Sebas600,

Thanks for the input! I will look into the MK controller. Only thing that worries me with MK is you have to pay out over £1000 per year for their commercial liscence if you want to do aerial work.

My plan was to do the BNUC exams to allow me to do aerial work at some point in the future just for a little extra income here and there and an extra £1000 payed to MK just to use their gear commercially is a bit of a pain.

Cheers

Alex

Attached is my Ecalc, would somebody double check it for me to make sure im not being an idiot

Attachments

• ecalc.jpg
    ecalc.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 289

Blacksails

I have checked for the props and can fit APC 13x4.7, giving a higher disc loading, which i hear the WKM likes......if i decide on the DJI that is.

Has anybody been succesful with heavy platform stability and the DJI??

Cheers

Alex

Sebas600

The ecalc says 14" and so does your text. can the props fit the frame? make shure this is possible. large props give more lift but can be less stable in flight and can't compensate very quick in higher winds is the idea.

JanneH.

If you use only one lipo that will sawe a lot of weight and you will still have at least 7 or even 8 min hovering.
I made my landing gear 150 g lighter, and got 40s more flying time :) (Everything else the same)

Regards.

/Janne
www.helikopterbild.se

Sebas600

That's true. two batteries can produce a lot more Amps but weigh much more than on pack with the same mah
There are 8000mah packs but I've gone for two 4000mah. weight is higher, C is lower-> life is longer, chance of falling out the sky is smaller.

How could you shave 150grams for your gear Janne? what frame was that?

CarbonCore

Hello,

The New Octo weighs in at 1080g, with the standard short landing gear and protective top dome. (Arms can be folded).
The New MegaRadius weighs 1500g, with Landing legs, bracing supports, shock abosorbers and extra large skids.

It has also been found that the Octo 1000 can lift the Mega and a 5D on 2x 4S LiPo packs.

There is also a 3-Axis Mega in production, to be flown shortly.

View attachment 4118

Here is the current 2-Axis Mega with a few Octo frame plates:

View attachment 4119

Attachments

• CarbonCore Octo MegaRadius 3-Axis.jpg
    CarbonCore Octo MegaRadius 3-Axis.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 353
  • CarbonCore MegaRadius.jpg
    CarbonCore MegaRadius.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 346

snurre

Hi guys,
I have been playing around with my CarbonCore octa 1000 and an icecream box filled with sand.
Yes - it is a payload test. The camera mount is a Mega radius 3 axis.
Check it out at youtube:

Cheers / Tomas

snurre

Endurance test CarbonCore octa1000 + Mega Radius
Battery: Turnigy Nanotech 35C, 4S 6000mAh*4 = 24000 mAh
By mounting an extra pair of batteries on the side wall plates I can put together 24Ah.
AUW, including 800gr camera, was 8.5kg

I had it GPS hovering at 40m height, slightly turbulent conditions. At end of flight ETS telemetry indicated 21500mAh used.
Then WKM primary warning had then been on for approx. a minute. I did not wait for secondary voltage alert, but it must have been imminent.

Flight time: 15 minutes :02.47-tranquillity:
/ Tomas

View attachment 5107

Attachments

• IMG_20120710_182858.jpg
    IMG_20120710_182858.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 327

ghaynes

Tomas

Great flight. I plugged your data into eCalc and must be doing something wrong. At 10.3kg with your other data points the results say you are 96% throttle to hover. Hope that wasn't the case. Any more data points that you can share or is eCalc that far off?

Aviator

Hey Alex,

I have a similar setup with WKM. if i could do it again I'd go for the MK because:

- I've bought the octo for the redundancy witch WKM does not give at all.
- Waypoint is free with MK
- Telemetry is free with MK
- Cleaner setup
- Compatible with Hercules II

the downside is that it's a bit more expensive the first buy and no protective casings.
I've been tuning and fiddling on my setup for some time now and #$^* keeps coming up.

But that is just my opinion. lots of peeps have had very good results with the WKM and I have no real experience with the MK stuff.
The biggest point for me would be the redundancy factor. and if you are planning to put a 5D on you MR you should worry about that to.

Some advice, take your time figuring out what it is you need/want before committing to the parts you are going to use. the downside of money is that you can only spend it once and this is an expensive build.

Your gimbal has no external pot meters as far as I can see. this limits the travel and reaction/power.
Turnigy plush 30A Is hard to get. Maytech is a good alternative and has a fast refresh (get the programing card with your ESC's)

good luck with the project
What are you talking about there is no redundancy? This is with 3kg 5d and losing one of the more important motor positions?