Looking for Camera Mount - F450 Flame Wheel

jforkner

I'm looking for a GoPro camera mount for my Naza kit quad. I tried mounting the camera directly to one of the tabs on the base-plate, but the video was somewhat "wavy," which I attribute to vibration. Upon closer inspection, the tabs are not perfectly rigid; they're a little "springy."

I've read in a couple of posts on various forums that DJI & Aerial Tech are coming out with mounts. Anyone heard status on either of these? Are there any other suitable/successful alternatives?

Thanks.

Jack

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I'm looking for a GoPro camera mount for my Naza kit quad. I tried mounting the camera directly to one of the tabs on the base-plate, but the video was somewhat "wavy," which I attribute to vibration. Upon closer inspection, the tabs are not perfectly rigid; they're a little "springy."

I've read in a couple of posts on various forums that DJI & Aerial Tech are coming out with mounts. Anyone heard status on either of these? Are there any other suitable/successful alternatives?

Thanks.

Jack

The wavy video isn't due to any flexing in the centerplate extension it's mainly from the badly out of balance props that come with the kit. You have two options to fix that problem, carefully balance the existing props, or replace them with a set of 10 x 5 Graupners. I swapped the props on mine and I fly with a GoPro solidly tie wrapped to the frame extension without the plastic case, this what the video looks like...

Personally if I only had the F450 kit and wanted to use a camera mount I'd move everything to a different frame better suited to carrying one, the Flamewheel frame wasn't designed for anything beyond flying it the way it is. While it is possible to come up with a camera mount and landing gear setup that will bolt to it, by the time everything is on it's going to be getting a bit heavy for the stock kit motors IMO.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

jforkner

Thanks, Ken. FWIW, I did balance the props as best I could prior to mounting---perhaps I'll take them off and try again. Meanwhile I'll try to find a set of Graupners.

I'd seen the above video on one of your other posts and was impressed with the smoothness of it, then. Would you mind sending or posting a picture of how you mounted the camera?

Any suggestions for a better frame/camera mount?

Jack

Tahoe Ed

Hi Jack, it is true. Gary at AerialTech and Mike at x468 have designed a camera mount for the F450, Flame Wheel. The introduction price was $99 you supply your own servos. Here is the link to x468's site: http://www.x468.com/

jforkner

Thanks, Ed. I lost that link. I found the mount on the Aerial Tech site, but no forecast shipping date. I see from your link, they're indicating around 28 Jan.

Jack

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Thanks, Ken. FWIW, I did balance the props as best I could prior to mounting---perhaps I'll take them off and try again. Meanwhile I'll try to find a set of Graupners.

I'd seen the above video on one of your other posts and was impressed with the smoothness of it, then. Would you mind sending or posting a picture of how you mounted the camera?

Any suggestions for a better frame/camera mount?

Jack

Just as an example of what's possible, this is my small APV quad built on an MK frame with Coptersky landing gear and 2 axis GoPro mount using Suppo 930kv motors, Turnigy Plush ESCs and a Naza controller...

DSC00314a.jpg

This is an older picture from when it still had a WKM controller on it.

As far as X468 stuff goes, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole as the saying goes. I bought one frame from them and here's a pic of the arms they sent me, never again will I throw away $ buying anything from them. Take a close look at the hole drilling patterns on each of the arms and then note how the openings don't line up on the stacked arms. No two of the arms are exactly the same. if I were selling something, I wouldn't let anything of this poor quality get any further than the trash bucket, never mind actually sending it to a paying customer. When I emailed them with this picture the response was "thanks for letting us know", never heard from them again...

X468arms.jpg

Ken

mailman35

what would you recomend? i think im coming to the point where i need to look for a small or larger way to mount my gopro to my quad.

Just as an example of what's possible, this is my small APV quad built on an MK frame with Coptersky landing gear and 2 axis GoPro mount using Suppo 930kv motors, Turnigy Plush ESCs and a Naza controller...

DSC00314a.jpg
Please can you tell me exactly the producer of this Gopro gimbal, i don't find nothing with Coptersky. thanks a lot

kloner

Aerial DP
I've run 2 different configs of the gopro to the f450, both are working good. The key to keeping it rigid on a tab is to use the short tab like ski recommends the bottom plate oriented and to get the mounting bolt as close to the arm as possible. The other way that worked was to get a set of legs under it like irisaerial offers and hang the camera underneath

https://rchelicollective.com/zen/kloner/DJIf450quad/
The 28mm page is the newest setup, the page 2&3 pics with the legs were these videos labeled FPV
http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=/&gl=US&rdm=4q07vhmkf#/my_videos

Both configurations came out to 1600 grams. With the 2215 it was just enough power on 4s. With the 28's, it's aerobatic loaded down

mailman35

i tried to hard mount the gopro minus the typical glued mount to the frame, but it just didnt work, i cant get the cam to point all the way forward its always off by 15or so deg down, so its never looking straight ahead.

mailman35

any better pics? of the end result?
im also waiting on a gopro part grab bag to show up with replacements if i need them.

sj257

View attachment 3378

There's always the "whip something up in the shed" type mount! :)

A few bits from B&Q/Home Depot and an hour in the shed.

Light, cheap and works ok as a fixed mount.

sj

Attachments

• IMG472.jpg
    IMG472.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 457

kloner

Aerial DP
024%20%281024x768%29_595.jpg

025%20%281024x768%29_595.jpg

008%20%281024x768%29_595.jpg

006%20%281024x768%29_595.jpg

002%20%281024x768%29_595.jpg

that's that setup in manual till :18 sec then atti....... super stable, flies good. but it has 28mm motors

couple weeks ago it was like this
013%20%281280x960%29_595.jpg

011%20%28800x600%29_595.jpg

and it flew/filmed like this

that zeal did a good job, could take it to 1080. but i put a strap over it when i took it ftp and it translated some vibes to the camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.Tim

Approach Engineering, ATS
View attachment 3383View attachment 3384Hello everyone, I'm new here but not to the hobby! I am flying with the X468 GoPro mouont on my NAZA and the HD Mount on my Large Quad .. Both are exellent but do require drilling out the pilot holes for the screws. Also everything fits real tight so a little sanding is in order to get a nice fit. I will dig up a few piks of the NAZA mount later today.

Dr.Tim

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 455

kloner

Aerial DP
Whats up Dr Tim???? i met you up at scale masters with the grapd/gjive md 500 and 900..... Yea, your the real deal

Do you have any footage on youtube? What servos do you run?

Good to see ya here

The X468 Naza kit I got was terrible. Had to do lots of filing, had to sand the sides of the supplied hex nuts to make them fit, most slots appeared to be off as if something had slipped during machining. When I had it all assembled, it was flimsy and unstable to say the least. Just my $.02

-Leon

mailman35

The X468 Naza kit I got was terrible. Had to do lots of filing, had to sand the sides of the supplied hex nuts to make them fit, most slots appeared to be off as if something had slipped during machining. When I had it all assembled, it was flimsy and unstable to say the least. Just my $.02

-Leon

that seems to be the growing issue with the kits, lots of variations in the build out.

kloner,
thanks for the better pics, now i see what i need to do.