Help! Motors Won't Spin Now -- S500 Quad with RTFHawk

TomCat

Built this quad last the winter and have had several successful flights with it.

Brought it with me on vacation to Colorado. Powered it up to re-calibrate the compass for the new location, and the HK Quanum 2D gimbal did its usual flopping around (camera wasn't installed) and suddenly the gimbal stopped moving.

Now I am unable to spin up the motors. Everything else seems to work, and I get the armed sound. Have GPS lock. Mission Planner shows it as armed with a correct map location. But, motors will not spin up. Disabled pre-arm check in MP, but that did not help. Loaded it with latest version of firmware and did a re-bind with my Frsky Taranis X9D Plus and X8R receiver. There is power to all 4 of the 30 amp esc's, so the power module and the PCB should be ok. However, when it is armed, I have no power to the motor side of the esc's.

Not sure how to troubleshoot it from here. Suggestions please???

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Maybe try plugging the ESC servo wire directly to throttle channel output of the radio (like you do when calibrating ESCs) to see if you're getting anything in that scenario?

Vermiform

If you fly more than one model with your transmitter, make sure you have it set to your s500 and not something else.

TomCat

Maybe try plugging the ESC servo wire directly to throttle channel output of the radio (like you do when calibrating ESCs) to see if you're getting anything in that scenario?
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.
I'm thinking the Taranis X8R receiver may have gone bad. May order a new one to see. Read there have been problems with them due to soldering deficiencies.

Vermiform

Have you removed props and tried motor spin test in mission planner.

Have you verified in mp that you are in stabilize mode when arming?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

TomCat

Have you removed props and tried motor spin test in mission planner.

Have you verified in mp that you are in stabilize mode when arming?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Have not tried motor spin test. Wasn't aware of it but will try to locate it MP and give a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Vermiform

Might try re-calibrating your ESCs one at a time and see if the motor will spin up then like Motopreserve mentioned in post 2.