WooKong Luvers Care to help out a new Fellow Wookong Buddy

Emowillcox

HI guys got all my stuff mounted and starting to test. Bare with me this is my first build and i’m not familiar with alot of the terms so I might have something obvious going on here. When I try to lift off it rolls hard to the right and I’m not sure why. I’ll post my set up thanks for your time.

First photo is my wookong set up as a X quad and the front is facing us or towards the bottom of the photo.

2nd photo is my page 1 on software
I went with IMU facing forward

3rd photo
have quad x mode

4th photo

my tx monitor.. here was a little tricky...
It said if I move aileron slider left that should be left and right should be right.. well when i took quad out it was backwards.. so I hit reverse servo on my radio.. still did not fly so recalibrate with software and then same exact problem.. maybe I have IMU set wrong .. should it make a difference if I just reverse the aileron servo in my radio?

Photo 5 just shows when I move aileron stick right the slider went left

photo 6
this is where I put my control mode switch set to a 3 position stick on my DX 7 Spectrum radio. When I have stick all the way down it goes to M and makes it blue, but when I go middle position on the switch on the radio the slider goes to the A but it stays gray and says fail -safe at bottom right of screen on software... the when I go all the way up on the switch on the radio to the 3rd position the slider on the computer software goes to the GPS but it stays grey and in the bottom right part of the screen it says fail safe again.

next questions would be about auto pilot, gimbal, and voltage... I did not set any of these up yet.. Do I have to have those set up in order to fly?
Thanks for the time helping a Rookie!

View attachment 1318View attachment 1319View attachment 1320View attachment 1321View attachment 1322

Attachments

• IMG_6361.jpg
    IMG_6361.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 373
  • Screen shot 2011-10-20 at 9.10.16 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-10-20 at 9.10.16 AM.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 404
  • Screen shot 2011-10-20 at 9.10.34 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-10-20 at 9.10.34 AM.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 395
  • Screen shot 2011-10-20 at 9.10.49 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-10-20 at 9.10.49 AM.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 376
  • Screen shot 2011-10-20 at 9.11.08 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-10-20 at 9.11.08 AM.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 406

ovdt

Emo,

The position of GPS is far away from center. So, you need to modify the offsets at the mounting section of the software.

After this, you need to calibrate the system.

My W-M quad is ascending nice when I gently move the throttle stick. Put when I throttle up quite strong, it rolls left very harshly. Different problems but just wanted you know..

Hi emo, my two cents.... I,ve just set mine up and it,s pretty good but i,m still a newbie lol....

1) In terms of the reversing issue I,d make sure that the transmitter is set to normal/not reversed. Then in the wkm software I,d change the reverse there on the slider that way you can see if it is moving in the right direction.

2) I agree with ovdt make sure to input in the mounting section where the satellite is in relation to the imu this will be about 20 cm or so (according to your picture) but make sure to measure it . Input can only be in cm so measure to the closest cm. It looks like your imu is dead in the centre so for right now thats the only input you need to put in. That is what I did and I,m good for now. My layout of wkm is quite similar to yours only my satelite is only 8 cm away from the imu on the tallest pole provided and mine has been fine. Oops just remembered you will also have to input the height that it is up from the bar it is on !

3) I havent set up the gimbal or voltage but have left auto pilot on go home/landing and it does not seem to affect me being able to fly as I,m wizzing about.

NB NB NB.....

4) Because the voltage is not setup when it loses sufficient power to keep the motors running it just drops from the sky like instantly. I have been using a timer on my transmitter and a battery alarm too and so long as you know how much time you can get from your battery you should be fine.

5) Make sure to calibrate the imu properly and check that the corresponding lights from the sensor are the correct colour then you should be good to go.

6) do not turn off the transmitter while the battery is supplying power to the mc as it will instantly engage the motors and start to fly itself (this is I think because of the go home landing failsafe) either way battery first then controller if things get tricky.

good luck

Matt

Emowillcox

HI guys thanks for tips. I now see where to put in the measurements in for the compass. I put z as height for 30 cm and x as 18 cm back from center. Went and tried it again still having the same issues.... Now went back and started looking at the instructions again...
Is this correct from the instructions?
..................................... I need to cut the Red Wire all on 4 of my ESC? IF this is the case where is the best place to cut it?

connect them to your MC, Make sure program all of them into Governor off, Break off and Normal Start up to get best experience.
· Connect all ESCs to MC by the motor numbering method introduced in our Assistant software. · Cut the red wire (power wire) of your ESCs , the power from V-SEN on PMU is suitable to most

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Nah leave the red wires intakt at the beginning only if you notice at your first test flights that your ESCs are getting to hot than cut them. Otherwise there is no reasons. It might be that you want to change the configuration of you ESCs and than having the red wires cut is a little annoying.

Emo looking atyour foto of your setup are you sure your your gps is 30 cm in the Z axis seems alot ! and remember Z axis everything that is over/higher than CG is a negative number !

So if its 30 cm over the CG the number in the config screen would be -30

Emowillcox

Rwilabee... thanks for the input... I am using a dx7 spectrum... is there any info on how to set this radio up. I keep getting a config error message.
Hey Boris glad your still up or just got up. I think I did make a mistake .. I put the GPS as 30cm up on the z axis from the ground...
Should I do X axis from the center of gravity? How about the X is it okay at +18 cm
From center of gravity up on Z axis you think should not be +14 it should be -14?
THis could explain why it wants to flip over.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I am up and back to sleep in a 30 min rhythm due to my cold. I am loving it :)

Emo please post a screenshot of your mounting config page so i can check it out with the picture of your setup.

With the current values you have !

rwilabee

The center of Gravity up to the top of the GPS antenna should be a - number. There isn't to much to setting up the radio. I just used Normal on all channels, no endpoint adjustments, added some expo to aileron and elevator so when I'm in manual mode makes it a bit easier to fly around. I'm not sure why you are getting a config error message.

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Emo cant trust me completly at the moment it might be the fever speaking but your value for the mounting of the GPS should all be negative since in the green area. IMU you should be good to start with 0,0,0 check out the illustration. Your quad is not to heavy you could find the CG on the Z axis later for fine tuning.

View attachment 1333

Attachments

• mounting.jpg
    mounting.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 364

Emowillcox

View attachment 1334

THis is my new config settings... I just changed the +30 which was from the ground to now -14 ... but it is dark now so no chance to fly it i will try it in about 8 hours when I wake back up.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-10-21 at 12.09.19 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-10-21 at 12.09.19 AM.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 323

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
and it think you have the X and Y axis mixed up GPS is on the negative x axis backwards, z axis seems to be right now

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Okay so you have 0 x,0 y,0 z for your IMU, that okay

and for your GPS you should have -17 or -18 on x axis, 0 y axis and -13 -14 on z axis.

Watch out that your little red arrow on the GPS modul is really pointing forward straight.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
quotes from a different forum

"Governor mode can be really nifty, as it will keep your head speed constant even in a rapid, elevator-style descent (which would normally dramatically speed up your head speed). However, the price you pay for the convenience of a consistent head speed is a loss of power, as the governor sacrifices top-end power for consistent speed under varying loads.

My governor-ed throttle curves are flat 77% and flat 85% on my T-Rex. A full-pitch (10 degree) climbout in governor mode at 77% sees no loss of head speed at all, while at 85% head speed drops about a hundred RPM on the way up. If the power seems lacking in governor mode, just go up one pinion size (11 tooth to 12 tooth, for instance) or try bumping your timing mode and throttle response from Low to High.

Align fixed a lot of things with governor mode on their more recent ESCs. It's not an amazing change, but flying in governor mode feels more consistent and also draws fewer amps over the course of the flight than my curves.

If you have good throttle and pitch curves, you won't notice much of a difference with the governor. If they were way off, you will notice a pretty enormous change in head speed variation."

You dont need it for WKM or MultiR.

Boris