Phobotic Centerpiece Brushless Gimbal Controller

jdennings

Funny, the Legacy happens to be our "go-to" airborne gimbal. We run it all the time. It works great: https://vimeo.com/99953282

This is a video out of testing (bad firmware and all, especially the horizon which has nothing to do with the performance on the release versions). It should perform significantly better than in that video - but it's good even there. And that's on a 42mm effective BMPCC setup, it should be really smooth on a 24mm effective like most GH setups are (12mm x 2.0 crop factor).

Is it just me or do I see quite a bit of shake right at the beginning? Of course I do realize this is 42mm FF equivalent. The rest of the video seems significantly better, some scenes are stunning in terms of stability.
Do you use the stock dampers on that legacy gimbal?

btw, I've started a thread on higher than typical focal lengths on BL gimbals here.

There is definitely some shake in the beginning, but anyway, that's just a testing session where you try stuff out. Over the last two months the controller had made huge progress, mainly due to the feedback of our beta testers.

I'm going to get this setup up in the air again soon.

kloner

Aerial DP
how can you decide it only needs up to 24mm focal equiv to 35mm sensor? we fly from 8mm to 100mm doing aerials, especially since these aircraft don't only do the traditional aerial shots,, we use it as a russian arm, boom, jib, crane, dolly,,, and yea, it takes way more than a 12mm lens to cover everything for the people i'm working for..... sometimes to stay safe we have to stay back away from people/equipment but that doesn't change the directors vision for the shot so the long focals come into play quite a bit more than one would think. Go watch a motion picture and tell me how many seconds out of the 2+ hours you see a wide shot,,, it's not often

how can you decide it only needs up to 24mm focal equiv to 35mm sensor?

I'm with you, just saying that the common "light pro" setup is usually GH3/GH4 with 12mm lens. We're definitely aiming for longer, we know the need is there - but it's not easy past 40mm (at least not without perfect mechanics).

jfro

Aerial Fun
how can you decide it only needs up to 24mm focal equiv to 35mm sensor? we fly from 8mm to 100mm doing aerials, especially since these aircraft don't only do the traditional aerial shots,, we use it as a russian arm, boom, jib, crane, dolly,,, and yea, it takes way more than a 12mm lens to cover everything for the people i'm working for..... sometimes to stay safe we have to stay back away from people/equipment but that doesn't change the directors vision for the shot so the long focals come into play quite a bit more than one would think. Go watch a motion picture and tell me how many seconds out of the 2+ hours you see a wide shot,,, it's not often

If this gimbal works for you in your situation, then these guys have hit a home run. Your needs are probably in the 1% compared to the rest of us. An equivalent 12/24-35mm shot is probably realistic and going to satisfy 98-99% of the peeps out there. I think for your work, you'd be looking at the ultra expensive Movi 10 for the Epic 100mm aerials. If you can put this controller on a $1200 to $2500 gimbal which works flawlessly and simply, then Samur has hit a home run.

In my case, I'm hoping to get a $1200-$1400 setup up (gimbal and controller) that will rival the $5,000 movi 5 for gh4/ 5d. Any lens past 50 mm equivalent will be icing on the cake IMO. If I can get pretty fast forward, sideways, and backwards flight without After effects stabilization, then I'll be one happy puppy.

Excited and can't wait to see my new controller around the middle of the month. Working hard to clear my schedule to have lots of time to test and fly before the snow falls.

By the way, wonder if this has been tested in frigid temperatures?

jfro, you got it right, the CP is designed to give good results with very low effort at up to 40mm for an awesome price. This is well beyond what other setups priced at this level. With the Serenity IMU it should do significantly better, perhaps 70mm or more, and beyond that we are talking about our professional product (which will most likely be OEM only as we simply don't see the 3rd party mechanics market producing the quality gimbal we need here).

jfro

Aerial Fun
jfro, you got it right, the CP is designed to give good results with very low effort at up to 40mm for an awesome price. This is well beyond what other setups priced at this level. With the Serenity IMU it should do significantly better, perhaps 70mm or more, and beyond that we are talking about our professional product (which will most likely be OEM only as we simply don't see the 3rd party mechanics market producing the quality gimbal we need here).

I wouldn't count out the 3rd party or the DIY's in this market. There is some amazing talent out there. Mechanics, IMO, are much easier than the electronics.....

kloner

Aerial DP
I'll be doing comparisons with Halo, Movi and this controller on a hexacrafter gimbal in two sizes.....

we already know what the alexmos looks like,,,, boooo

kloner

Aerial DP
Your needs are probably in the 1% compared to the rest of us.

I'd be wise to say if there was one percent of us going the direction we are as in cinematography of any kind that'd be a really low estimate.... but i garuntee whatever that amount of people doing it is we will be a majority of the users/buyers between installing on oem equipment or just using within the fleet.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I'll be doing comparisons with Halo, Movi and this controller on a hexacrafter gimbal in two sizes.....

we already know what the alexmos looks like,,,, boooo

Excuse my not knowing, but what is Halo?

Kloner, do you currently have Movi experience with m5 or m10? If so, what's your opinion of it as to how good it is for from both a quality and ease of use point of view?

kloner

Aerial DP
Halo is the photohigher offering, we got a complete system

the movi is still in my immediate future, i'm fighting for an m10 cause that's what i need now... that kinda power.

both the hexacrafter gimbals are waiting on these boards.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Halo is the photohigher offering, we got a complete system

the movi is still in my immediate future, i'm fighting for an m10 cause that's what i need now... that kinda power.

both the hexacrafter gimbals are waiting on these boards.

Kloner,

if you are waiting on these 3 new options (or 4 with the 2 Movi options) what are you running now that makes you most confident?

kloner

Aerial DP
i'm on the hexacrafter gimbal with alexmos. but it maxes out on gh4 right now, and we fly alot of epics and those are home brewed from aerial mob.... 80mm, etc. my hexacrafter one is only 5 lbs with a 1.5 lbs lens so it's my definate go to cause it's never good conditions when we work,,, EVER the mob gimbal with an epic and a small lens is like 14-16 lbs.... same exact multi over the top,,,,

need m10 to fly follow focus on epics.... need the whole system control and all yesterday...

all i can say coming off flying an av200 a year ago, these are all such a huge improvement and at such a low cost it's incredible.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It really is amazing how rapidly this whole segment of the industry is advancing. I do research on alexmos and occasionally come across posts of the "early days" and then glimpse the post date... A year ago! Crazy fast.

Cheers to to the possibility that this controller is a leap forward, and the improvements that might follow rippleindustry-wide in it's wake.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Kloner: quick OT question, just for curiosity's sake. When you are dealing with follow focus, how is the cam op viewing? Standard def downlink? Or do you guys have a HD downlink like the new DJI gear?

jfro

Aerial Fun
Kloner: quick OT question, just for curiosity's sake. When you are dealing with follow focus, how is the cam op viewing? Standard def downlink? Or do you guys have a HD downlink like the new DJI gear?

I can't imagine pulling focus on a SD wireless signal is possible. My guess is it would have to be a HD signal. If they are flying an A2, they may be using the DJI HD downlink. If it's on his xAircrafts, then they are probably using or looking elsewhere.

Kloner, how's my guesswork this AM assuming you are pulling focus.

kloner

Aerial DP
HD and oled monitor,,, big ones in the 26" range just like they do it on all the rest of the platforms like boom, jib, crane, etc.

we have been playing with two hd systems and one follow focus setup. We tried the arri but it's too big and cumbersome