Phobotic Centerpiece Brushless Gimbal Controller

One, although our system is natively designed to run both one and two IMU configurations (the IMU is a standalone unit with its own processor).

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Hey guys, I'll be doing a through review/going over of the board on the Hexacrafter G2 3 axis gimbal. I have had one for a while and have been waiting on the board to come in!
I am STOKED!

min0nim

Great stuff Sleepy/kloner.

Bring on September! I'm pretty chuffed being in Aus at the moment - it's shaping up to be an awesome summer ;)

tombrown1

Late in 1:47 going into 1:49 as the water becomes the left part of the screen you can see a pretty severe roll to the left. Just after jfro's photoshop still. 3:13-3:14 rolls left also. Overall a great vid though. We're most definitely buying one and can't wait to see what it can do on our rig.

Thanks for coming over from that other place - much nicer here!

Late in 1:47 going into 1:49 as the water becomes the left part of the screen you can see a pretty severe roll to the left. Just after jfro's photoshop still. 3:13-3:14 rolls left also. Overall a great vid though. We're most definitely buying one and can't wait to see what it can do on our rig.

Thanks for coming over from that other place - much nicer here!

1:47 shows momentary horizon drift due to accelerative forces, but there's a pretty big distinction between such momentary, self correcting sway and real accumulating drift (which isn't presented here), like on other controllers. 1:47 was a tight right turn, the horizon would correct itself after 2-3 seconds. For the record, this momentary horizon drift would appear on any system on sale today. This is an effect of the accelerometer used in these systems.

The horizon can be kept more aggressively by the controller, but that involves the use of less accelerometer. That requires a precise operation of the gyro. Now we do a lot here to get the gyro to minimal drift (including heating it up to a set temperature, I kid you not), but I still felt like leaving some margin at least for the first release firmware - in other words, I rather have this slight momentary horizon drift which immediately self corrects than I'd like to have accumulating positional error.

However, being the reasonable people that we are, this behavior can be adjusted by the user, and I'm sure that with time we'll better know the limitations of the system in real world conditions and be able to tune it to be more aggressive from the factory.

And then, the Spectar IMU (the IMU module shipping with the CP) is actually 9 axis, of which only 6 are currently used AND we haven't even scraped the surface of what could be done with two IMUs of this kind. So there's a clear path for improvement here, once the release stuff calms down.

And if you feel like flying like a lunatic with a $8k machine like presented in this video, we are working on an optional IMU upgrade called Serenity which replaces the Spectar IMU presently sold with the Centerpiece. That's going to be something special and really max the performance of the controller. That should eliminate any horizon concern anyone has.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Forum,
I must state for the record that what I have seen of the Phobotic Centerpiece is really nothing short of amazing.
I have been in contact with Phobotic since January and am truly impressed and excited about what they are bringing to the table.
Just the Autotune function alone is something that will make a excellent working gimbal obtainable to nearly everyone, turn an average gimbal into impressive and a quaility gimbal into a stunning platform from which to sell video footage.
I also wish to thank them for not releasing a half finished controller by buckling to market pressures.
Like us all, I am excited about this huge step forward for our platforms and where they may lead us next.
For all that have forgotten where we were were with servo driven gimbals of just a couple years ago or the costs of the big name professional gimbals of today, this is really a big deal to us all. It clearly leaves all other universal brushless gimbal controller in the dust.
Thanks Phobotic!
Now.... let's talk AlexMOS trade in program... Ha Ha!
Andrew

jfro

Aerial Fun
"HexCrafter Now.... let's talk AlexMOS trade in program... Ha Ha!
Andrew"

I doubt if Alexmos will be going away. I think many have Alexmos that they are somewhat happy with, esp at the price point.

I will grab the new board and hopefully it's a large step up in quality over my Alexmos boards. I also think many others will also pony up, but I think there are many who can't or won't pay the up charge for a better board when they have something they can make work. I'm not sure I'd spend the extra for my Gopro gimbal as it works reasonably well now.

This market is growing and there is room for Alexmos, Probotic, DJI, Movi, etc etc and whomever else wants to join the fray. This is exciting in that appears we are going to get a high quality controller that works without a lot of extra fiddling for a bit of a premium, but certainly under the big boys pricing.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
jfro,
I apologize to you and the forum if you took offense to my statement of AlexMOS. AlexMOS was the creator of this revolution in gimbals and for that I give him credit. We have used AlexMOS to our preceived limits and are needing a more advanced platform that is more user friendly for production crews that do not have the time or expertise to tune with AlexMOS. Tuning a gimbal over the phone or on Skype to a client having frustrations can be very difficult to say the least. The larger platforms can prove very taxing on the AlexMOS controller, and simply put, Phobotic has filled in where AlexMOS left off. I guess I have tunnel vision on the cameras used as our focus has been on NEX, GH4 & Red Epic as this is what the vast majority of our clients use.
Again... sorry... I meant no offense.

jfro

Aerial Fun
jfro,
I apologize to you and the forum if you took offense to my statement of AlexMOS. AlexMOS was the creator of this revolution in gimbals and for that I give him credit. We have used AlexMOS to our preceived limits and are needing a more advanced platform that is more user friendly for production crews that do not have the time or expertise to tune with AlexMOS. Tuning a gimbal over the phone or on Skype to a client having frustrations can be very difficult to say the least. The larger platforms can prove very taxing on the AlexMOS controller, and simply put, Phobotic has filled in where AlexMOS left off. I guess I have tunnel vision on the cameras used as our focus has been on NEX, GH4 & Red Epic as this is what the vast majority of our clients use.
Again... sorry... I meant no offense.

No sweat. I took no offense to your statement. I was just pointing out it's a big market out there for all sorts of price points and quality. I am with you in that I'm ready to move on and up. However, at the price point, it may be difficult to use on all my gimbals. Maybe it's time to make my gimbals so the controller can move between them simply and quickly.

Given the huge amount of multirotors and handheld gimbals, there is enough room for everybody. We are not competing at the $150 AM price level nor do we plan to do that - the Centerpiece will be our lowest price offering for some time to come (we do have plans for much more expensive systems, though). However even at its $399 retail it's still the second-cheapest viable way of getting good images, and that's not a bad spot to be at, and for the increased number of professionals earning their living from good video the $250 difference is really pittance.

When we came to characterize the CP we took this into account and designed a board with a lot of processing capacity and the best reliability we could, over splitting pennies.

Ronan

So is the CP even available? Been waiting since day 1... Registered with my e-mail months ago, never heard back :apathy:

Ronan, you're on the list, the reason you haven't heard back is because we don't spam our users, we just reserved the mail to let everyone know when it goes on sale :)

SMP

Very much looking forward to it!!

Forgive my ignorance but were any Indirect Drive Gimbals tested with the Phobotics and did you find any substantial differences??

kloner

Aerial DP
that's not an ignorant question.....

i'll be running both back to back to compare it..... My suspisions are the improved power will negate any mechanical advantage the idd offered but we gotta make sure that power stands up to the real world at work environment. Sounds like smaller motors handling more weight like the big closed source offerings out are now