Zenmuse Z15 5D MARK III

Quinton

So are there problems with Wookong-M and Zenmuse 5D? I have a Cinestar-8 I am going to fly my Zen 5D with. The Cinestar has Wookong with 5.24 firmware. Will I get problems?

Well you might have a problem there already, as in the system requirements it asks for version 5.26 for the Wookong (which I and a lot of others have not had any problems with)

sk8brd

joepapa- Great footage i recognize some locations i'm from the area. i'm in the middle of a CC 950 hex build are you using the zenmuse adapter plate from carbon core? i'm trying to figure out the build with dji retracts cause that's the route i'm going without adding a lot of weight. i know rc drones has a solution but it requires another plate beneath the 2nd lower plate. i'm not really interested in a triple decker wandering how you went... thanks

Tuukkuli

Received my Z5D.

One note: Although the gimbal fits both 5D Mark ii and iii, it seems that the gimbal comes either with a Mark iii suitable AV plug like mine or (maybe) a Mark ii suitable one.
I have a Mark ii and the AV plug in that one is a, well, a plug. In the Mark iii it looks more like an usb connector.

In principle the AV cable would be easy to change - one could just pull the wire & connector out from a socket - but an alternative cable is not provided with the gimbal.

My gimbal is also quite badly out of balance - especially horizon - but it seems to be fairly easy to re-balance it just by loosening some screws.

sk8brd

Tuukkuli-make sure you have the memory card in it. i made the mistake on my zenmuse hero i thought it was not balanced but later after a panic i realized i forgot the card. lol

Quinton

Received my Z5D.

One note: Although the gimbal fits both 5D Mark ii and iii, it seems that the gimbal comes either with a Mark iii suitable AV plug like mine or (maybe) a Mark ii suitable one.
I have a Mark ii and the AV plug in that one is a, well, a plug. In the Mark iii it looks more like an usb connector.

In principle the AV cable would be easy to change - one could just pull the wire & connector out from a socket - but an alternative cable is not provided with the gimbal.

My gimbal is also quite badly out of balance - especially horizon - but it seems to be fairly easy to re-balance it just by loosening some screws.

I also "thought" that mine was out of balance, and I had forgot to put the securing screws in under the camera.
Once I did this it was "perfectly" balanced, and its good to see a well balanced setup to start with, albeit with the lens protector on.

Why they added a sticky pad underneath is strange though, as its very hard to get the camera out again, it takes quite a bit of pulling/hauling.
What I have noticed is that the 24mm is VERY wide for the full frame, I may take a look at other lenses around the same weight.

Hopefully a firmware update will come now that the Chinese New Year is over that fixes the things that aren't working, like the orientation reset etc.

Tuukkuli

I also "thought" that mine was out of balance, and I had forgot to put the securing screws in under the camera.
Once I did this it was "perfectly" balanced, and its good to see a well balanced setup to start with, albeit with the lens protector on.

Why they added a sticky pad underneath is strange though, as its very hard to get the camera out again, it takes quite a bit of pulling/hauling.
What I have noticed is that the 24mm is VERY wide for the full frame, I may take a look at other lenses around the same weight.

Hopefully a firmware update will come now that the Chinese New Year is over that fixes the things that aren't working, like the orientation reset etc.

There is a memory card in the camera and both the lens mounting ring screw and the camera bottom screw are in place. So that doesn´t explain the off balance.

I also think that 24mm is pretty wide for a full frame camera. Canon also makes an EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM lens that is 20g lighter than the EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM that the gimbal is designed for so that could be a very suitable alternative.

Quinton

There is a memory card in the camera and both the lens mounting ring screw and the camera bottom screw are in place. So that doesn´t explain the off balance.

I also think that 24mm is pretty wide for a full frame camera. Canon also makes an EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM lens that is 20g lighter than the EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM that the gimbal is designed for so that could be a very suitable alternative.

Yes there is also a Canon 50mm which is the same weight, not sure how it would fit into the lens ring though.
I seen in the DJI video that they had some kind of adapter with the 16-35mm lens attached, so I am sort of holding off just in case they release it as an add on.
Knowing DJI it'll probably be another Zenmuse version though.

It was just the SD card you had in the camera and not the CF card, as that throws it off a bit?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuukkuli

It was just the SD card you had in the camera and not the CF card, as that throws it off a bit?

I have a 5D Mark II and it uses only a CF card, so yes.

I made a little video of the off balance. To me off balance looks pretty big. Will be seen if the gimbal copes with that.

Quinton

I have a 5D Mark II and it uses only a CF card, so yes.

I made a little video of the off balance. To me off balance looks pretty big. Will be seen if the gimbal copes with that.

That is completely off balance, Are you certain it is not a MK3 Zenmuse you purchased?
I'll make a short video later after I get the kids to bed, and show you what the balance should look like.
It should stay completely still no matter where you set it.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
don't know if this will help or not but golf shops make a thin lead tape with a self-adhesive backing. you should be able to use this to make small adjustments if the adjustments available don't work. also, i'd expect the tape to help if you decide to try new lenses.

apply small pieces as close to the axis as possible so as to not mess up the balance on the adjacent axis. don't have a 5D zenmuse but watching this thread just in case!

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Excellent advice! You can use anything to balance it, even money. I know Carapau uses some coins I believe. I use a link off an old watch strap as it happened to be lying around and was the correct weight.

Quinton

OK Now I am worried, I set up my Zen tonight to make a video to show what it should look like when it is perfectly balanced, I then started it up and it started to spin crazily out of control!!
Have not changed anything except updated the Main Controller and IMU yesterday, but it was fine after I did that as I wanted to see if it fixed the reset mode, but it hadn't.

I have rechecked to make sure everything is on the right way, and it is the cables pointing to the tail.
Not good, anyone evr seen anything like this before..it was working perfectly yesterday :(
You can see the problem in the video...

rotorvista

wow that looks wild.... is it a bit stiff on the roll axis? maybe you don't want to adjust it but if it was mine I would try raising it slightly by loosening the roll bar and lifting it, and I'd take the lens cap off. that is only if it was mine btw. or I'd contact my dealer.

OK Now I am worried, I set up my Zen tonight to make a video to show what it should look like when it is perfectly balanced, I then started it up and it started to spin crazily out of control!!
Have not changed anything except updated the Main Controller and IMU yesterday, but it was fine after I did that as I wanted to see if it fixed the reset mode, but it hadn't.

I have rechecked to make sure everything is on the right way, and it is the cables pointing to the tail.
Not good, anyone evr seen anything like this before..it was working perfectly yesterday :(
You can see the problem in the video...

Hi I have had a crazy Z15 spinning action. It ended up being a cable from my AR8000 to the Z15 GCU being plugged in wrong.

Quinton

OK Worked at it again this morning and things are back to normal...
I disconnected the 8 pin cable from the back of the GCU and plugged the GCU into the computer to get the firmware version for my dealer.
I then plugged it back in, and bingo..it started to work again, go figure as the cables were definitely in the right way as I checked and rechecked everything last night.
The only thing I am a bit concerned with now, there is a slight noise coming from the motor when I pan, not sure if that is "normal" as I have never had a Zen before.
I'll do another video of it all working later.