Long Distance Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

First off, I'm new to MRC's. However, I'm eager to get real smart real fast.

Long story short, I work for the Army, and I'm trying to possibly play off Amazon's desire to delivery small packages and turn that into getting our way-forward-deployed soldiers emergency supplies.

That said, here are my questions:

-With a payload of 5 pounds, how far could an optimized MRC make it (distance) without concern for making it back home? Obviously, the assumption is GPS is available so it will fly via waypoints. Assume still day, etc.

-How far could that same MRC make it without a payload? Basically, only thinking one-way and no return, how far could a MRC with a 5 pound payload capability (but not carrying that 5 pounds) make it if it is optimized for long-distance flight? (additional batteries, etc?)

We're basically trying to figure out how far we can get with current systems. And as a basic number, think MRC under, say, $1500 bucks.

What do you think?

FerdinandK

One way 2,5kg payload, 20-25km
one way, same copter, 0 payload 40-50km

Possible config (but without foldability):

best regards
Ferdinand

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i don't think any current multi's are optimized for distance as none of them consider aerodynamics and drag at higher airspeeds.

SMP

Heres my take on that Bob. Advice is generally shared. Expertise is usually purchased. If its Bob, the Army guy thats one thing. If it's the US Army via Bob thats another entirely wouldn't you agree?

Please note, the King of Long Distance is Ferd. Maybe it's time to bring him on the payroll.

Maverick

What is available to us (commercially) generally lags the military market by at least 10 years! So, I think you're in the wrong place! You should ask your peers, what they really have available, cos we'll only find that out in at least 10 years!
Unless you're up there, in the know, with them, they'll just deny this!
Some of their stuff, we'll never see, cos it would never get a license!

Mav.

DennyR

5lb payload means that with most off the shelf components you need more than 4 motors but the more you have the less efficient it is and that fact is cast in stone. So what would be the best formula for success? Well it would be with no more than 4 powerful but very efficient motors and could even be done with 3.

I have a new design underway that will weigh 1500 grams including battery and will definitely fly for more than 130 mins. It has a completely new tricopter FC system that eliminates any tilting motors. A similar larger design could fly for at least 1 hour with a 5lb payload. You just need money to build it. Watch this space for a record attempt when the weather improves.

Nigel

This thread concerns me greatly. Someone who should have access to military knowhow but obviously does not, asking about delivering 5lb payloads one way is more likely to by thinking bomb than supplies.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
What is available to us (commercially) generally lags the military market by at least 10 years! So, I think you're in the wrong place! You should ask your peers, what they really have available, cos we'll only find that out in at least 10 years!
Unless you're up there, in the know, with them, they'll just deny this!
Some of their stuff, we'll never see, cos it would never get a license!

Well, having spent 18 years as an officer in the military including procurement postings, you would be amazed at how often it is actually the other way around, especially since the end of the cold war. During the cold war the need to push mil tech meant that often the mil lead the way but now with mil budget cut backs etc they are often riding on the back of commercial products. There are quite a few military drones that are on the market whose flight controller is certainly no better than good ol' DJI. Now how scary is that! Global Hawk, Reapers etc yes, they are very high end but the smaller drones, well, that's another story really.

Bob

Nigel,

I completely understand your comment, and I humbly apologize for causing concern. To explain for you (and everyone else)... I'm an engineer so I ask engineer-like questions. I specifically asked "one way" to provide a common reference so one answer wasn't "round trip", another "round trip plus dwell", etc. I'm basically trying to understand just how far these things can go in a straight line.

As for the reason I ask how far without payload... it'd be great if these things could "self deploy" so my guys don't have to carry them along. I'd love them to be able to get down to where they need to be by themselves, get recharged, and then be available to the front line guys.

As to those that think the military has spy-drones that are 10 years ahead... if they do, I haven't seen them! I'm just a low level guy trying to solve a problem!

And as for the specific problem, check out this video, somewhere around the 27 minute mark. Emergency resupply. Yes, 5 pounds wouldn't get you much, but 20 X 5 pounds sure would, and it'd be a lot cheaper and less dangerous than a helicopter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbXiTm8wDwk

This thread concerns me greatly. Someone who should have access to military knowhow but obviously does not, asking about delivering 5lb payloads one way is more likely to by thinking bomb than supplies.

Nigel

Hi Bob. If you are genuine then I apologise. To be realistic I think the kind of craft that we fly are far too fragile for the use you have in mind. To make them useful would probably push them way beyond your budget.To go back to my original post I dreaded the thought of some idiot realising that with waypoint technology they can program one of these to fly to a crowded area……… I think the consequences of a 5 pound payload are all too obvious. On a much less important note the consequences for the rest of us would probably be a worldwide ban. Unfortunately these days this is a very real risk that I think we all need to be aware of and do all we can to protect against. Hopefully I am being totally paranoid. Nigel

Bob

Nigel,

No need for apologies! I am grateful people are mindful and "on the lookout!" I honestly just didn't think of the "other side" of what I was asking.

At this point I have gotten enough to answer my question, so I'm going to take this thread down shortly. Thank you again for being diligent.

-Bob

Hi Bob. If you are genuine then I apologise. To be realistic I think the kind of craft that we fly are far too fragile for the use you have in mind. To make them useful would probably push them way beyond your budget.To go back to my original post I dreaded the thought of some idiot realising that with waypoint technology they can program one of these to fly to a crowded area……… I think the consequences of a 5 pound payload are all too obvious. On a much less important note the consequences for the rest of us would probably be a worldwide ban. Unfortunately these days this is a very real risk that I think we all need to be aware of and do all we can to protect against. Hopefully I am being totally paranoid. Nigel

Status
Not open for further replies.