Zenmuse Z15 5D MARK III

jes1111

As with the previous models, the restriction to a single lens just seems to me like a show stopper, rendering its actual performance irrelevant. The ability to select from a vast range of lenses is one the few reasons to want/need to fly a DSLR rather than something smaller.

Joepapa

Quinton, Im not sure what you are referring to actually. I reviewed the footage at 1:10 and don't see the issue you describe. Smooth as silk. I think it could be Vimeo on your computer, but I don't see it on mine, or the original footage.

The only place I see anything remotely objectionable is when we flew over the bridge while John pans and tilts down toward the traffic. The movement is not as smooth as it should be, but thats because of John controlling the sticks, not the Zenmuse. You can be sure that we wouldn't cut a demo out of footage if we saw an issue, much less use a piece of footage if it had an obvious problem. In fact, for the price, Id be the first to complain and point out if there was a problem. This thing is flawless.

We do fly in Atti, not GPS, but to be honest, Ive gone full speed in attitude and at nearly 30mph, flipped the switch into GPS and the octo slams the brakes, coming to a violent stop in what seems like 5 feet, but if you review the zenmuse footage, you would never know what just happened. Flying in GPS mode while maintaining smooth consistent speed is pretty difficult so I avoid it whenever possible, but yesterday, I filmed some guys flying Radio Control Helicopters doing 3D acro tricks, and the wind was easily 20 - 30mph gusts. I had to fly in GPS to prevent the whole oct from being blown around. The footage is smooth as glass.

Lastly, in the past, with our Alexmos 3 axis gimbal, I was a freak about yaw jitter. What I found was that the yaw gain on the WKM was a little low, and was able to fix it with a higher setting. The gimbal was only following the copters movement. It wasn't the gimbal to blame, although I thought it was at first... I haven't seen anything out of the Zen footage that resembles that issue....and if I did, I would know where to look... Sadly, most of the issues we have in the video with the Zen comes from John's stick inputs as he is constantly panning or tilting the majority of the time Im flying. I have yet to fly the Zen without him at the controls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quinton

Quinton, Im not sure what you are referring to actually. I reviewed the footage at 1:10 and don't see the issue you describe. Smooth as silk. I think it could be Vimeo on your computer, but I don't see it on mine, or the original footage.

The only place I see anything remotely objectionable is when we flew over the bridge while John pans and tilts down toward the traffic..

You know what, I just fired up my other laptop after what you said and looked at it using Chrome instead of Firefox, and you are right, there's nothing wrong with it at all.

I do apologise for that, and am actually a bit relieved.
Funny I have quite a few problems watching Vimeo videos here in the UK, maybe I need to start watching them with Chrome instead.
I actually liked the follow shots over the road.

You may also want to take a look at the 50mm Canon F1.4 non IS as it is around the same weight as the 24mm, think that 50mm would give some really nice shots on the FF

Joepapa

Interesting you mention that lens. The 24mm is a great focal length but that 50mm 1.4 is exactly what I was thinking earlier today for closer stuff. Yesterday I was shooting aerial of radio contro helicopters doing acrobatic tricks and the 24 was too wide. I bet the 50 will throw off the balance just a little because it's shorter than the 24 but about the same weight. It may be as simple as using a lens hood wrapped in some lead tape to rebalance it.

The motors on this thing are crazy strong... Just have to stay balanced.

Quinton

Interesting you mention that lens. The 24mm is a great focal length but that 50mm 1.4 is exactly what I was thinking earlier today for closer stuff. Yesterday I was shooting aerial of radio contro helicopters doing acrobatic tricks and the 24 was too wide. I bet the 50 will throw off the balance just a little because it's shorter than the 24 but about the same weight. It may be as simple as using a lens hood wrapped in some lead tape to rebalance it.

The motors on this thing are crazy strong... Just have to stay balanced.

The specified weight of this lens is 290 grams, however the actual weight seems to be 268.1g according to Ken Rockwell site, so does leave enough room for a filter or whatever to be added, I am sure it wont be so hard to get balanced by the time you add your CF card or whatever else.
I think the 24mm is very wide for Aerial shots, I just got that 24mm lens because that's what it says you should have, but I'm sure the 28mm IS lens would also probably do.
Just need to get my hands on my pre-ordered one now to have a play :)

Mojave

The specified weight of this lens is 290 grams, however the actual weight seems to be 268.1g according to Ken Rockwell site, so does leave enough room for a filter or whatever to be added, I am sure it wont be so hard to get balanced by the time you add your CF card or whatever else.
I think the 24mm is very wide for Aerial shots, I just got that 24mm lens because that's what it says you should have, but I'm sure the 28mm IS lens would also probably do.
Just need to get my hands on my pre-ordered one now to have a play :)

Quinton as I recall you had ordered a Be Steady gimbal in November - not to get to far off topic - but are all these weight issues a problem for that equipment?

Quinton

Quinton as I recall you had ordered a Be Steady gimbal in November - not to get to far off topic - but are all these weight issues a problem for that equipment?

I actually had to send it back.
The 2nd day I had it the usb connection dislodged.
TBH it was not what I expected, it would not work for me hand held, never mind flying on a MR
As soon as I went over like 20 degrees it would start to go out of control, and I was told that this was a problem that would be fixed in a later update.
I do not have time to wait for updates, I just wanted somethiNg that worked well, so I ordered the Zenmuse

Actually thats not entirely true, I ordered a gimbal at the same time from Carbon Core, and believe it or not "I" broke the usb connection that went into the Alexmos Board, I was playing about with it that much trying to get a GH2 balanced on it, and it was plugged into the computer and I went to walk away with it, and "I broke" it.
I said to the company, look I did this and I will pay for the damage, but there is no way in the world that a GH2 was ever going to balance on this thing, even though the site said it was suitable for a GH3 so I wanted to return it and pay for the board, but they said it was useless to them now, so we did a deal where I kept the gimbal.
I then ordered the ARMbgc 3.5 from the same company in Armenia (with a .com) so I could try and get it working with a smaller camera myself while I ordered the Zenmuse which hopefully would just work out of the box.
I ordered the controller 6 weeks ago, and I am still awaiting delivery, even though I received an email on Friday saying it was dispatched.

I would like to try and have a good go at the ARMBGC once it comes, as I enjoy playing around, but I also want something that will work. (Oh it has bluetooth, mini USB connections are useless, let me say)
I ordered the Zenmuse in December, but I do not believe anyone has it yet in the UK and "expected" delivery is now within the next week.

Gimbals at the moment are very frustrating, I just want one to work, and I am hoping I will find it in the Zenmuse until others catch up.

Quinton

BTW...No Idea if any of you follow Magic Lantern on twitter, they don't post very often but 2 hours ago they posted the following..

Psst... prepare for a little "sensor upgrade" :)

What on earth could this mean.
Knowing ML, this could be something big..fingers crossed!

Mojave

BTW...No Idea if any of you follow Magic Lantern on twitter, they don't post very often but 2 hours ago they posted the following..

Psst... prepare for a little "sensor upgrade" :)

What on earth could this mean.
Knowing ML, this could be something big..fingers crossed!

Sorry off topic - They are working on increasing the dynamic range by alternating the ISO of the of pixel columns - it will be a boon to those using their firmware. Can't wait!

Quinton

Check what lens is on the Zenmuse on this video @1min 15 secs.. its the 16-35L, this should open up the possibility of a lot more lenses too in the future.
I hope its not different gimbal versions for different lenses.
I have not got mine yet as there seems to be a LOT of problems with the new Zen that arrived in the UK.
Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

cbuk

Check what lens is on the Zenmuse on this video @1min 15 secs.. its the 16-35L, this should open up the possibility of a lot more lenses too in the future.
I hope its not different gimbal versions for different lenses.
I have not got mine yet as there seems to be a LOT of problems with the new Zen that arrived in the UK.
Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

Quinton, are there reports of problems with the new Z15 5D or are you referring to problems with the zen GH3? It doesn't sound too promising if the zen 5D is shipping with problems as well.

Quinton

Quinton, are there reports of problems with the new Z15 5D or are you referring to problems with the zen GH3? It doesn't sound too promising if the zen 5D is shipping with problems as well.

I believe there are problems with the firmware, and some are not working as they should.

Joepapa

Well, I can tell you first hand that coupled with the latest updates, and flying the A2, there is no issues here. As far as the 16-35 lens, I can tell you that the only difference I can imaging for having another version of the zen for the 5D, would be for people who want to buy one that has been balanced for that lens out of the box. But it would be the same zen. There is a lot of adjustment on this thing, and its not hard to do. Its not black magic, but I wouldn't want to have to do it on a job with a time constraint. I'd also try to mark the current position of the screws so it could be quickly moved back between the two lenses. It could be easy then.

Quinton

Yeah maybe the problems are Wookong with 5.26 related.
Just had a thought, the Canon 24-105mm L series lens is only 45 grams lighter than the 16-35mm, so maybe what they are working on would be the perfect all round solution for a one off gimbal for a really good lens.

Forgot to say I didnt realsie that the 5D MK2 and MK3 was 2 different gimbals, I thought the 1 was able to take either camera.

Tuukkuli

So are there problems with Wookong-M and Zenmuse 5D? I have a Cinestar-8 I am going to fly my Zen 5D with. The Cinestar has Wookong with 5.24 firmware. Will I get problems?