DJI A2 PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU BUY (New firmware may change my opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahoe Ed

Dave,

I don't have Sidney's ear any more than he has DJI's ear. However, I do know the A2 is an important product to them. It is part of the S1000/A2/Zen for D2 professional combo. Dave how do you know it does not recognize RTH on LOS? The Assistant will not show it. That is one thing that I made a request for. I want to see what is going on in the controller via the Assistant when the tx is turned off. I don't want to have to trust with a lot dollars or pounds in the air. Sidney has tested RTH with both the FASST Rx and the Spektrum satellites. It worked both times. He has his on a F450. A good cheap test platform. Up until recently, I had it on my S800. I have moved it to an F550 but I will not test it until I get the E300 propulsion system to complete the hexa. When I tested the spektrum satellites, I went out an purchased DSM2 satellites to use. I tried the two DSMX satellites that I had and could not get them to bind. I am not sure what firmware that I was on when I tried.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ed I have flown it on spectrum satelites and it returns to home when signal is lost, you know it has lost signal coz the light turns blue.. I have tested it on my test bed when the spectrum system is running through the S-BUS interface and the motors just stop. I am double checking the failsafe by connecting the RX to a wkm to check it at least throws the WKM assistant somewhere close to failsafe in the WKM when the AR9020 has fail safe positions initiated by TX loss.

Have you read thee S_BUS section of the instructions? I would like an interpretation in english!

I totally agree on being able to see the failsafe initiate in the assistant why would it not be included when they are pitching the controller at the pro market with thousands of puns at stake?

WHO at DJI listens?
OR is willing to help?
WHEN is the A2 going to be supported in the 'Report a problem section on DSJI support site?
WHEN is there going to be anything what so ever in the A2 Wiki?

WHY should I have to rip all these hours of work apart to test it on a 450?

View attachment 15354

Dave

Attachments

• photo copy 2.jpg
    photo copy 2.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 245
Last edited by a moderator:

jazzboy

Ed I have flown it on spectrum satelites and it returns to home when signal is lost, you know it has lost signal coz the light turns blue.. I have tested it on my test bed when the spectrum system is running through the S-BUS interface and the motors just stop. I am double checking the failsafe by connecting the RX to a wkm to check it at least throws the WKM assistant somewhere close to failsafe in the WKM when the AR9020 has fail safe positions initiated by TX loss.

Have you read thee S_BUS section of the instructions? I would like an interpretation in english!

I totally agree on being able to see the failsafe initiate in the assistant why would it not be included when they are pitching the controller at the pro market with thousands of puns at stake?

WHO at DJI listens?
OR is willing to help?
WHEN is the A2 going to be supported in the 'Report a problem section on DSJI support site?
WHEN is there going to be anything what so ever in the A2 Wiki?

WHY should I have to rip all these hours of work apart to test it on a 450?

View attachment 19196

Dave

I think you are at the core of the matter; no one at DJI cares. The A2 hardware looks like someone put a lot of thought into it, but like the iPad GS, has software that looks like it was written by a 10 year old QC'd by his 8 year old sister.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Yep at the moment it pretty much seems that way. I just transplanted one on to a Y6 test frame and found a DSM2 satellite which I have bound to the A2 but at the moment I have no stick inputs! I left it yesterday to go play with my new GH3 and try it out taking pics of my grandson who has just learned to walk…. much more satisfying than banging your head against the DJI wall.

Dave

jazzboy

Yep at the moment it pretty much seems that way. I just transplanted one on to a Y6 test frame and found a DSM2 satellite which I have bound to the A2 but at the moment I have no stick inputs! I left it yesterday to go play with my new GH3 and try it out taking pics of my grandson who has just learned to walk…. much more satisfying than banging your head against the DJI wall.

Dave

Dave,

What kind of work do you use your UAVs for?

Cheers,
Andy

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Andy, everything from film, TV, sensory, surveys, R&D..

And just to show I ant being over critical of the A@ I have just grafted one on a test machine so I can film it in action so everyone can see it. Hopefully since the Beat V2 firmware things will have changed but we will see. I only did it because a WKM I am waiting for has not turned up and I was twiggling my thumbs and found a DSM2 satellite. So Just set it all up but the light has beet me so if weather permits I give it a whirl in the morning.

attachment.php

jazzboy

Hi Andy, everything from film, TV, sensory, surveys, R&D..

And just to show I ant being over critical of the A@ I have just grafted one on a test machine so I can film it in action so everyone can see it. Hopefully since the Beat V2 firmware things will have changed but we will see. I only did it because a WKM I am waiting for has not turned up and I was twiggling my thumbs and found a DSM2 satellite. So Just set it all up but the light has beet me so if weather permits I give it a whirl in the morning.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=19231&d=1388332638

That would be appreciated. Still considering an A2 for my octo rebuild but not sure if the A2 is ready for prime-time and tests like yours will help.

Andy

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up HGT

I have absolutely NO intention of flying this thing commercially.. Why do you think I started this thread. DJI need a wake up call and I started this hoping it would jolt them into action but 3 months on and its still a piece of junk. BUT.. Life is a challenge and so is working stuff out. If we don't keep the pressure up then they will do nothing. This forum is about helping others and that is what I am trying to do, help them not pay for three paper weights. I flew the test Y6 tonight for a few mins in my workshop just to make sure it was not going to do a runner on me.. To be fair it held gps position in my workshop 12" off the ground for 4 or 5 mins with very little input from me! Tomorrow I will try and put it thought its paces at my test ground.

Its still a useless piece of junk for now. It still will have no CAA credibility unless telemetry can be sorted out and any one thinking of buying this thing should really ask themselves why would I..

I had faith that it would be bomb proof because of my experience with the WKM, I bought three and them then had to buy three WKM replacements!

IF DJI would like to recompense me for being a DJI beta tester then I would be happy to add it to my signature… but I doubt they will coz there are to many idiots like me who like a challenge and hand over the cash

Dave

rilot

I'm wondering if DJI will just "disappear" the A2 and continue with the development of the WKM. It's got such a bad press now what with dealers telling people not to buy it, users saying not to buy it and DJI themselves effectively saying "don't use this commercially" by sticking the beta label on the firmware.

It's going to be hard for the A2 to recover any credibility after all this.

I'm wondering if DJI will just "disappear" the A2 and continue with the development of the WKM. It's got such a bad press now what with dealers telling people not to buy it, users saying not to buy it and DJI themselves effectively saying "don't use this commercially" by sticking the beta label on the firmware.

It's going to be hard for the A2 to recover any credibility after all this.

The core of the software is the same throughout every platform. What increases the cost is the feature set.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
.........It's going to be hard for the A2 to recover any credibility after all this.

sorry but I disagree.....the community has been EXTREMELY tolerant of bad products and has proven over and over again we'll continue with a product on very little proof of improvements. i'm not sure why but with one good firmware release and some good forums coverage people will buy right back into just about anything.

jazzboy

sorry but I disagree.....the community has been EXTREMELY tolerant of bad products and has proven over and over again we'll continue with a product on very little proof of improvements. i'm not sure why but with one good firmware release and some good forums coverage people will buy right back into just about anything.

The problem is what are the options? The A2 is beautiful hardware that was rushed to market. I had a very hard time sending mine back 2 days before the RMA ran out. Never even mounted it as the waypoints were still not out and I had it for 28 days.

You'd figure the ShamWow guy would have poked his snoot over here by now but who cares about a few guys trying to do this professionally when you can sell a zillion toys instead. The Phantom is cool and be used professionally but I am referring more to the market than the product.

If they plan to use this on the S1000 they better get movin'!!!

Tahoe Ed

[jazzboy - You'd figure the ShamWow guy would have poked his snoot over here by now but who cares about a few guys trying to do this professionally when you can sell a zillion toys instead.

I had to laugh, my son and I had the same comment. LOL

DJI released new firmware V2.1 for A2!

DJI released new firmware V2.1 for A2!

What is new?

Firmware:

1.Enhanced performance of A2 flight control system in data loss situations that are caused by abnormal communications.
2.Optimized control performance, if the command of Yaw control stick is zero, the command variation of Elevator, Roll and Throttle will not change the aircraft attitude around Yaw.
3.Optimized IOC function and POI algorithm to improve user experience.
4.Optimized communication protocol.
5.Support to upgrade A2 GPS Module.
6.Fixed the attitude jitters during Failsafe and Go Home.

Assistant Software:

1.Added RC status display.

User Manual:

1.Added Failsafe settings for traditional receiver users.
2.Added RC status description.
3.Revised the control mode introduction.
4.Added trouble shooting list of motors start failures.
5.Added a note that if the second level low voltage alerts occur when the aircraft is during Failsafe and Go Home process or the aircraft is controlled by Ground Station, the aircraft will descend automatically.
6.Revised the recording conditions in IOC function.
7.Added a system error LED indicator shown in continuous 4 red blinks.
8.Revised the attitude status LED indicator, there is no blinks if the attitude status is good and continuous 3 white blinks if bad.
9.Added the note that when using with A2, the firmware of iOSD Mark II should be V3.0 or above and OSD Viewer should be V4.0 or above.

Notes for Upgrade:

1.For safety reasons, do not use the power battery for power supply during firmware upgrade. Reconfigure all parameters in the Assistant Software after firmware upgrade.
2.When using the A2 flight control system firmware version V2.1, the firmware of other DJI products used in conjunction must be matched with the requirements in the table below.

A2-Notes-for-Upgrade.jpg

Please click here for more information.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
OK, here you go guys, have at it and let us know how it works out (Droider!)!

2014 is going to be an exciting year!

rilot

Well, it's no longer listed as beta. This could be a good start.
I've not got time to fly at the moment but will do the update for when I do.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
OK, here you go guys, have at it and let us know how it works out (Droider!)!

2014 is going to be an exciting year!

Strange I had an email today not from DJI Europe but China asking me too list all my findings and show how I have wired it up!

Had a cal out so could not fully reply then bugger me when I come home there is a new release… Report on V2 will still go in the morning

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Well V2.1 is out and the rte is a Mac Version… yeah!

Now I have a test machine I will go upload it and give it a whirl…

Whatch this space.. you never know the thread title may change!

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thought that was to good to be true!

NO MAC VERSION ON DOWNLOAD PAGE! when I check the email it says mac version.. looking at what DJI posted item 2 in the email is missing. see email text below

Dear DJI Dealers&Customers,

DJI released new firmware v2.1 for A2!

What is new?

Firmware:
1.Enhanced performance of A2 flight control system in data loss situations that are caused by
abnormal communications.
2.Optimized control performance, if the command of Yaw control stick is zero, the command
variation of Elevator, Roll and Throttle will not change the aircraft attitude around Yaw.
3.Optimized IOC function and POI algorithm to improve user experience.
4.Optimized communication protocol.
5.Support to upgrade A2 GPS Module.
6.Fixed the attitude jitters during Failsafe and Go Home.

Assistant Software:
1.Added RC status display.
2.Assistant Software released with support for Mac OS X 10.6(Lion) or above. Assistant software
usages on Mac and Windows are exactly the same.

User Manual:
1.Added installation and usage instructions for A2 Assistant Software on Mac OS X.
2.Added Failsafe settings for traditional receiver users.
3.Added RC status explanation.
4.Revised the control mode introduction.
5.Added trouble shooting list of motors start failures.
6.Added a note that if the second level low voltage alerts occur when the aircraft is during
Failsafe and Go Home process or the aircraft is controlled by Ground Station, the
aircraft will descend automatically.
7.Revised the recording conditions in IOC function.
8.Added a system error LED indicator shown in continuous 4 red blinks.
9.Revised the attitude status LED indicator, there is no blinks if the attitude status is good
and continuous 3 white blinks if bad.
10.Added the note that when using with A2, the firmware of iOSD Mark II should be V3.0 or above
and OSD Viewer should be V4.0 or above.

Notes for Upgrade:
1.For safety reasons, do not use the power battery for power supply during firmware upgrade.
Reconfigure all parameters in the Assistant Software after firmware upgrade.
2.When using the A2 flight control system firmware version V2.1, the firmware of other DJI
products used in conjunction must be matched with the requirements in the table below.

3.When launching for the first time on Mac OS X, please open the Assistant Software in the
Finder.After the first successful launch, the application can be launched by double-clicking
the A2 icon in the Finder or using Launchpad.
4.Please download the application installer in DMG format from the download page of A2 on
the DJI website.
5.The Assistant Software for Windows and Mac OS X will updated simultaneously in the future.

For more information , please visit the DJI website or reach your sales representative, thanks!

Yours sincerely,
DJI Innovations

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
So it works and it flies.. had to rebind DSM2 satellite.. Not tried features yet but don't see anything in assistant like the old WKM where in the mode it went to failsafe when the TX was turned off.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.