BNUC-s vs. RPQ-s?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Right now I think you have made the correct choice. I have just gone though almost 8 weeks of bloody mither trying to get my 3rd year ops manual through EuroUSC. I waited so long i just applied direct to CAA and got my permissions direct. So right now I aint got a current BNUCs as they are taking so long to process it but I do have CAA permissions for aerial work.. go figure. Even though I aint been through Resource after s few emails with Dave Peacey at Resource and their quick concise replies I will be going down the Resource route next year. Right now it all seems smoke and mirrors as far as the BNUCs is concerned, Spain, France, HongKong, Ireland, Belgium, Netherlands.. they are spread to thinly to service the UK guys. Last I heard they did a ground school with over 40 attendees.. Rumor or fact?

Resource seems to have the resources and the military background that just makes me feel confident in what they can deliver. We will see..

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi all. Have just joined this forum and discovered some great information.

I flew large aircraft for 43 years but this is my first foray into RC flying. I've just signed up with ResourceUAS on a course starting in a couple of months. They appear to be a thoroughly professional organisation with a strong safety-based ethos.

At the present time I'm writing my Ops Manual and would appreciate some advice.

I've seen quite a few manuals in my career so know exactly what one looks like, but would be interested to know:

• How much information is the CAA are looking for in a RPAS Ops Manual (I'm working from the template in CAP722).
  • How many pages does your manual contain?
  • Is it required to be in paper format, or can it be done electronically? (my last two airlines produced all of the manuals on CD-rom)

Thanks in advance

Atlanticbaron

Aye Up Atlanticbaron, welcome to MRF. Hope you find it a good place to get info. Let us know what you are flying and a bit more about yourself. There a quite a few fliers of BIGUNS on here, Bart the forum owner is a BIG flier as well as a RC fanatic.

Where are you in the UK?

Dave

Aye Up Atlanticbaron, welcome to MRF. Hope you find it a good place to get info. Let us know what you are flying and a bit more about yourself. There a quite a few fliers of BIGUNS on here, Bart the forum owner is a BIG flier as well as a RC fanatic.

Where are you in the UK?

Dave

Hi Dave

I live in sunny Hartlepool - no monkey hanger jokes please!

Currently flying a shiny new DJI Phantom 2 with an H2-3D gimbal that carries a GoPro Hero 3 Black camera. I have FPV using a Diversity Black Pearl set-up with on-screen data from iOSD mini installed internally. Very pleased with the results - the video quality matches that of much more expensive set-ups.

Tony

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Hi Atlanticbaron, my ops manual has only ever been submitted in PDF form so I think ecopies are perfectly fine. As for the amount of info, that's a hard one to quantify as it depends on how verbose you want to be about various aspects. The CAA just need to see that you can operate the aircraft safely. As for pages, mine goes to 85 pages but I think this is a LOT more than most. The meat of my manual is within the first 50 pages and the remainder are my separate aircraft annexes. Where abouts are you in County Durham, I am at Scotch Corner so possibly not that far. If near by perhaps we can go for a fly?

Hi Atlanticbaron, my ops manual has only ever been submitted in PDF form so I think ecopies are perfectly fine. As for the amount of info, that's a hard one to quantify as it depends on how verbose you want to be about various aspects. The CAA just need to see that you can operate the aircraft safely. As for pages, mine goes to 85 pages but I think this is a LOT more than most. The meat of my manual is within the first 50 pages and the remainder are my separate aircraft annexes. Where abouts are you in County Durham, I am at Scotch Corner so possibly not that far. If near by perhaps we can go for a fly?

Hi there,

Thanks for the information, it'll be areal help.

I'm in Sunny Hartlepool - a monkey hanger by association only!

Regards

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Anyone else comment on the service from EuroUSC?
Last year my BNUC was up for renewal in September, but they faffed so much with my manual, which had already been approved by the CAA, that this year it's not up for renewal until the end of December. Yes, it took over three months! I don't know what they think we are doing that we can afford to spend a quarter of our year messing around with them sending copies of our Ops manual back and forth.

Bowley

Last year my BNUC was up for renewal in September, but they faffed so much with my manual, which had already been approved by the CAA, that this year it's not up for renewal until the end of December. Yes, it took over three months! I don't know what they think we are doing that we can afford to spend a quarter of our year messing around with them sending copies of our Ops manual back and forth.

Ditto,,,,although I was not wholly faultless to be fair.

ZAxis

Anyone else comment on the service from EuroUSC?

Dave,
Similar frustration with EuroUSC to your's. We've totally given up with them, would not recommend them to anyone for any reason at all. No response from them over several issues, including renewal. They do absolutely nothing proactively, we were always ahving to remind them over things. Basically as an organisation, not fit for purpose.
Resource take their work seriously and always do their best to help. They arranged a flight test for us at two days notice and it was a real flight test on an active airfield, not a pop across an imaginary lake and back followed by a cup of tea.
They also do not have a fixation with ops manual as do EuroUSC. They look at the way you actually operate in the field to judge if you're a fit pilot. A good well laid out check list to carry around with you for reference before every flight is their priority. You also get a score card for the flight test so you can see where your weaknesses are. They accept the EuroUSC ground school and flight test if you've done it but do not issue a BNUC equivalent on the back of that, you get a certificate of pilot competence for a specific craft type. Nice framed certificate and ID card comes through the post soon after. CAA very happy with that. All in all a very impresive group of guys.

If you do the ground school, do the one at Kemble .... just for the aircraft parked around the airfield and in the hangars, fascinating place.

Andy & Lec

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Well I am stil aitimg for my green light after starting the process on the 22 April. OM back and forth with amendments to take in to account new documents that have been released in the time it has taken them to come up with the first set of 43 amendments, then more after thiose where amended and then a 20 wait then more again ….. BLA BLA BLA!

It looks like I need to go talk to Resource again for next year.

Dave

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
You could actually walk there, write out their "suggestions" in your manual and have it checked and passed in person, then walk back again quicker than it takes them to reply to a single email submission.

ZAxis

Dave,
I'd suggest booking a flight test now with Resource for one of your craft as a taster. You can then see them in action. You will not be disappointed. Then cancel EuroUSC and claim a refund.
A lot of your craft are similar so you may get multiple craft ticked off on that one flight test.

andy

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I am on it… EuroUSE just seem to be trying to hard to get the BUNC in as many countries as possible and neglecting their customer base in the uK.. Office in HongKong FFS!

We should catch up and go fly. Just joined a local flying club with a great place to fly 10 mins from home, MotoX, and Stunt boat thingies right next to flying field. I bet Lec has been there, there is a very well known Bike supplier on the site and I used to race XC there.. before I took up copters!

Dave

D

ZAxis

I am on it… EuroUSE just seem to be trying to hard to get the BUNC in as many countries as possible and neglecting their customer base in the uK.. Office in HongKong FFS!

We should catch up and go fly. Just joined a local flying club with a great place to fly 10 mins from home, MotoX, and Stunt boat thingies right next to flying field. I bet Lec has been there, there is a very well known Bike supplier on the site and I used to race XC there.. before I took up copters!

Dave

D

Ahhh... Leisure Lakes !
Lec used to race there and built the dirt jumps for some competitions. Fond memories of that place.

andy

SCXUK

I am amazed to have found a thread online that is actually up to date with this information! I am looking at enhancing my production company with a DJI Phantom or similar relatively simple setup, I honestly can't thank you enough for all this information (especially Elliot from Hexcam whose wordpress site sent me here)!
What kind of tests do resource do for a basic Phantom setup and what kind of things would I need to do? I'm quite confused by all this talk of the Ops manual!

Bowley

I am amazed to have found a thread online that is actually up to date with this information! I am looking at enhancing my production company with a DJI Phantom or similar relatively simple setup, I honestly can't thank you enough for all this information (especially Elliot from Hexcam whose wordpress site sent me here)!
What kind of tests do resource do for a basic Phantom setup and what kind of things would I need to do? I'm quite confused by all this talk of the Ops manual!

Temporary commercial use ban on Phantoms using 5.8GHz for control at the moment, look into it before you make your choice, probably get lifted but worth keeping in mind.