BNUC-s vs. RPQ-s?

Steel100

Hi guys,

I'm just trying to find out more about undertaking commercial aerial work. At the moment, I see that the CAA recognise two companies as 'Qualified Entities' (!!)
and they offer the BNUC-s and RPQ-s qualification, which the CAA accepts.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the pros / cons regarding these two qualifications and their respective companies?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

HexCam

Hi Andrew. I am BNUC-s qualified at the moment on the machines I have used for the last couple of years but am putting my two new machines through the RPQ-s flight test on Monday. (Resource UAS are accepting a fully completed BNUC-s as an equivalent of their ground school, so I only have to do the flight test). It was supposed to be today but the weather has beaten us! As a result, I should be able to reply in more detail next week. PM me if I forget!!
I wrote a little blog here on the BNUC-s, but haven't got round to doing one for the RPQ-s yet:http://hexcam.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/bnuc-s-and-registration-for-a-caa-permission-for-aerial-work/
It is worth talking to the guys at EuroUSC and Resource UAS. Andre Clot is your man at EuroUSC and Craig Lippett at Resource UAS.
Elliott

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
That's interesting the BNUC ground school is accepted. May I ask why you're putting your new machines through a flight test with the other guys? Will that mean you have to submit two lots of flight logs each year, one for the machines you have with BNUC and one for those with RPQ?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I've just finished the RPQ-S ground school and flight assessment and loved it. Very helpful guys. Only 6 per class at the moment which is nice so lots of one to one tuition. You also don't need an operations manual for the flight test, just some flight reference cards and tech specs. Excellent location for the flight test also.

Like Elliot said, give them a call. I liked that the RPQ-S was an all inclusive price of £1300 (included excellent lunches too). I did do the BNUC-S ground school back in May but didn't have time over the Summer for a flight test. Just moved near Kemble so was right up my street.

It's super windy here today so glad you didn't go for the test today Elliot. If you need a place to stay I have an awesome house near Kemble. It's on YouTube.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

HexCam

That's interesting the BNUC ground school is accepted. May I ask why you're putting your new machines through a flight test with the other guys? Will that mean you have to submit two lots of flight logs each year, one for the machines you have with BNUC and one for those with RPQ?

Hi.One thing to make clear is that they are not accepting the ground school only a FULLY completed BNUC-s theory and flight test. So you can't chop and change between theory and flight test sides. I am actually retiring my original two machines now, but yes I would have to if I was keeping them going, but it isn't arduous. I would just do two copies of my log instead of one!

It was supposed to be today, Ben, but I called it off because of the weather. Good judgement call there I reckon! ;)

Steel100

Elliott, much appreciated. We've already been in touch via email and I really must say thank you for taking the time to respond. I've now spoken with both 'entities' (who thought that one up!?) and, if anything I'm leaning a little towards the RPQ-s course.

Andrew

HexCam

Morning all

I got back from Kemble last night, having had a great time apart from a rainswept morning on Monday in an abortive attempt to get the test done quickly! However, yesterday dawned over a beautifully still, if slightly misty, Cotswolds and I completed the flight test.

The staff who carried out the test were great, very patient with a couple of technical issues, and I felt the flight test was perfectly organised to test the capabilities of myself as pilot and my machines. If you know your machine, can fly competently and know how you want to operate it then you should find the flight aspects of the test interesting and enjoyable! :) They also bent over backwards to fit my flight test in and then rearrange it when the weather was poor.

The examiner had taken time to understand the limitations of my aircraft and used appropriate questioning to draw information about my operational methods.

I passed on both platforms! The advice for improvements at the end was very welcome and will help to tighten up my methods as we move forwards with the new machines.

As a side note, Ben is right, his house is awesome and the views are fantastic, thank you for your hospitality and for coming along to assist at the flight test!!

If you have any more questions Andrew, please let me know on here, PM or email.

Elliott

Steel100

Thanks Elliott,

I'm now looking at some of the commercial and marketing issues; plonking down a sizeable wad on a suitable UAS and the training to go with it is a major aspect but I also need to get my head around the 'business' side of this, including setting up a company - I'll be chatting to an accountant friend as soon as he gets back off holiday.

Cheers

Andrew C

Benjamin Kenobi

It was a pleasure Elliot! Great to have someone who speaks the language (Drone English, Dronglish?!). My house is your house. See you in the future.

I'm flying up to take the course there shortly and looking forward to it, Resource UAS deserve to do well the other crowd have milked the system far too much in the past. I am preparing my FRCs as I am looking at this thread.

HexCam

You'll really enjoy it Gary. Drop in and say hello to Ben he's lonely for pilots to talk to and knows a rather nice pub for food and ale if you like that kind of thing!

Well from a previous life I enjoyed I think it was called the Tunnel Inn or some such not very far away. I'm a bit hacked off that I have to come to UK in winter but hopefully there will be a weather slot.

Benjamin Kenobi

Ha! Beat me too it! Yes Gary, if you need a place to stay my place is yours. More than welcome. I'm not far from ResourceUAS. FYI: This area has its own weather pattern that magically doesn't show up on weather reports. Good luck with it. They're a great bunch.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Does anyone know the ongoing costs involved with the RPQ-s? I mean like you have to pay £75 per year to have your flight logs looked at with BNUC, plus you have to take a new flight test for each new machine you add to your fleet. How does RPQ-s compare?

Benjamin Kenobi

Hey. I believe it's £250 a year which includes another flight assessment. That's how they measure competency and currency. The good thing is that I could add another DJI S800 ( my test vehicle) to the fleet and that wouldn't require a retest as its the same system (system being airframe and FC). Unlike a BNUC-S which is per vehicle.

Cool?

Benjamin Kenobi

Yes. Both log book and flight test. Anyone can fake a log book. The RPQ-S seems a much more rigorous test, probably because of the military background of the staff. I for one like the idea.

Benjamin Kenobi

Cool, so maybe I don't have to do another flight assessment each year. That's the impression I got. So it's £125 for renewal (plus the £113 for the CAA of course).

I think the eventual PPL(U) and CPL(U) will arrive from the RPQ standard. Being first to market only works as long as you keep improving your product. Lots of the major players are adopting the RPQs as the standard so it might be for those in the market for work as a freelance pilot its the better ticket to hold. Thanks for the offer Ben, I will probably do a long commute every day to see my folks in Somerset, its been a couple of years since I have been in UK so probably should. That said no doubt a pub night could be arranged with a bit of flying thrown in ;-)