XAircraft SuperX

Av8Chuck

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to read your own black box data locally?

I think sometimes XAircraft does things differently just to be different.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to read your own black box data locally?

I think sometimes XAircraft does things differently just to be different.

xAircraft, I believe many of your users would like an app to read our black box data. It's a pain in the rear end to have to get on the internet to look at our flight data.

Please!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
xAircraft, I believe many of your users would like an app to read our black box data. It's a pain in the rear end to have to get on the internet to look at our flight data.

Please!

i cant imagine it would be too difficult since it's already written for the cloud. Granted, the time and expense of writing the code for multiple OS, but with most higher-end FCs (their competition) offering some type of local readout, it's certainly a good marketing step for xaircraft, long term.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hey folks. Need a little help/clarification with tuning the SuperX. I have read the entire SuperX and black box manuals, read all of this thread and also corresponded with Anthony at Xaircraft. You'd think I'd get this by now...but noooooo :)

I'm either not understanding how the Tx rotary tuning adjustment (G) works, or it's simply not working (writing) after power down/power-up. As far as I understood it, I set the tuning in the software as a basic starting point - then make fine adjustments in the field with the rotary knob (channel #7 - G) on the Tx, which would be saved once I powered down.

So I do just that..

Basic settings in PC software: check!
Head out to the field and there is a horrible wobble. Turn the rotary knob up and it steadies: check!
Leave the rotary knob where it is, and power off the SuperX: check!
Put the rotary knob back to null point (thank god for beeps at center) before powering down the Tx: check!

My understanding is that this adjustment info would be written to the SuperX, and when I fired it up next, those fine adjustments would be written, and with the knob back at the null position, no new info should be going to the SuperX. Problem is: when I power the rig back up, take off, same EXACT wobble. Turn the rotary to the same exact location, and it's gone again. As if it's never been written to the FC....OR, I'm starring in the remake of Groundhog Day (...hmmm, wonder if Bill Murray has a quad...).

What am I doing wrong here???

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hey folks. Need a little help/clarification with tuning the SuperX. I have read the entire SuperX and black box manuals, read all of this thread and also corresponded with Anthony at Xaircraft. You'd think I'd get this by now...but noooooo :)

I'm either not understanding how the Tx rotary tuning adjustment (G) works, or it's simply not working (writing) after power down/power-up. As far as I understood it, I set the tuning in the software as a basic starting point - then make fine adjustments in the field with the rotary knob (channel #7 - G) on the Tx, which would be saved once I powered down.

So I do just that..

Basic settings in PC software: check!
Head out to the field and there is a horrible wobble. Turn the rotary knob up and it steadies: check!
Leave the rotary knob where it is, and power off the SuperX: check!
Put the rotary knob back to null point (thank god for beeps at center) before powering down the Tx: check!

My understanding is that this adjustment info would be written to the SuperX, and when I fired it up next, those fine adjustments would be written, and with the knob back at the null position, no new info should be going to the SuperX. Problem is: when I power the rig back up, take off, same EXACT wobble. Turn the rotary to the same exact location, and it's gone again. As if it's never been written to the FC....OR, I'm starring in the remake of Groundhog Day (...hmmm, wonder if Bill Murray has a quad...).

What am I doing wrong here???

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

The adjustment only changes the Attitude gain, the only way you can see the changes is to upload the log file to the black box website and see what the setting is there. The only gains you will see in the SuperX GUI are the basic gains and the only way they can be changed is through the GUI. Bottom line is they are actually two different sets of numbers and there's no way to know what the variable Attitude setting is without looking into the log file. You would think they would at least display it in the GUI so you would know where it is set but that isn't the way it works.

I like the SuperX but it's little things like that that make me continue to like the Naza more. The X needs more work on the software side, more granularity in the tuning capability, and a way to see things like the attitude gain numbers without having to go through the download the log file and then upload to a website just to find out where you have it set.

And while the controller will store the number Attitude is set to when you land, you need to disconnect the gain channel from the RX if you want it to stay there, otherwise it will read the setting from the TX again on power up and go from there.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm using it with no problems. Once I set the knob, power down and power back up without touching the knob the attitude setting remains the same for the next flight until I touch the knob. Like everything else with this fc it's dumbed down but as far as I can tell it works as advertised.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks for the response Ken.

I've looked in the log to see what's what. Unfortunately it seems all over the place (sometimes it show me starting at zero, sometimes -26%, sometime +106% which is where I had ended up to test) despite having gotten into my routine of:

1. Lift off
2. add attitude gain with G knob.
3. Land and power down superx
4. Replace G knob to center position on Tx
5. Power down Tx
6. Power rig back up again and it's right back where it was before the whole rigamarole.

I did did it the same EVERY time to make sure there were no variables.

Are you saying I need to pull a servo before I power down? If so, I'm running sbus, so that throws a wrench in the works! The guy at xaircraft definitely described it the way I was doing it. But obviously something is amiss.

There was was a whole debate about whether there should be more features like the ones you describe. I'm one who prefers more features. If I can't use them - great, if not I'll ignore them. But at least the features it DOES have should be a little easier to use then this. :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm using it with no problems. Once I set the knob, power down and power back up without touching the knob the attitude setting remains the same for the next flight until I touch the knob. Like everything else with this fc it's dumbed down but as far as I can tell it works as advertised.

so you are leaving the knob at the location you set at the precious flight - so it reads that as the same value the next flight. But it's not written????

That would mean, for all intent and purposes, that the adjustment is only by .1 values set in the software, and if you find the sweet spot using G adjustment, you just need to remember where to place the knob for the next flight? I can't see how that requires the use of powering up or down at all, if it's just the physical placement of an aux knob each flight.

This is the response I got from Xaircraft:

The remote gain is labelled G in the inputs column. When you power down the FC the last setting is stored and is the starting point for your next flight. If you centre the control dial after you power the aircraft down it will not change the remote gain figure.

This led me to believe that I was doing the procedure correct (and without pulling any channels). Unfortunately, when I look at the log from 6 lift-offs today - despite doing the exact same procedure each time, the readings for G were: -26%, 106%, 106%, 0%, 0% and -8%. The only place I put the knob was about all the way up and back to zero.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Are you saying I need to pull a servo before I power down? If so, I'm running sbus, so that throws a wrench in the works! The guy at xaircraft definitely described it the way I was doing it. But obviously something is amiss.

There was was a whole debate about whether there should be more features like the ones you describe. I'm one who prefers more features. If I can't use them - great, if not I'll ignore them. But at least the features it DOES have should be a little easier to use then this. :)

No, you need to disconnect it before you power up again, then it will stay where it last was when the controller powered down, I take that to mean it's "written" to the F/C. Part of the issue is something being lost in translation most likely...

On sbus you would need to disable the aux2 (?) channel for it to stay at the last setting, I think that's what it maps to anyway. It's been my experience that if you leave the channel active the F/C starts at the setting it reads on power up from the TX, if the knob isn't in the same place it was when you powered down then who knows where it will ultimately wind up and you have no way to (easily) see what it's set to.

Not saying there needs to be more features, just that there needs to be a finer range of settings to what's already there, single number increments just don't do it in many cases. If .9 is too high and .8 is too low, what do you do to get it right when say .85 would be the right setting?

And there's the issue of having to read the log to get some of the info and that can only be done with a web based program requiring internet access, etc. etc. Every other flight controller I own I can figure out what the settings are at with either a laptop, tablet, or in some cases just a smart phone, great for when I'm out flying where there is no internet access.

Ken

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks again Ken. I thought somehow it could be cumulative - which in essence might get me to that converted spot between .8 and .9 (hypothetically). Say +25% first flight. Reset rotary. Power up again and +25% would equal +50% total. My misunderstanding for sure, and not cleared up by my emails with xaircraft. Have to say though , he got back to me very quickly.

Its clear to me now that the fine tuning is really only a per-flight basis while testing, and then once you feel it's totally locked, pull the servo ( or disable aux in my case).

We are on the same page with the field connection. I'm not looking for waypoints and advanced features - just better ways to utilize the feature-set they have already.

Appreciate the responses.

so you are leaving the knob at the location you set at the precious flight - so it reads that as the same value the next flight. But it's not written????

That would mean, for all intent and purposes, that the adjustment is only by .1 values set in the software, and if you find the sweet spot using G adjustment, you just need to remember where to place the knob for the next flight? I can't see how that requires the use of powering up or down at all, if it's just the physical placement of an aux knob each flight.

This is the response I got from Xaircraft:

This led me to believe that I was doing the procedure correct (and without pulling any channels). Unfortunately, when I look at the log from 6 lift-offs today - despite doing the exact same procedure each time, the readings for G were: -26%, 106%, 106%, 0%, 0% and -8%. The only place I put the knob was about all the way up and back to zero.

I just put a small white hash mark on the transmitter next to the knob to mark the sweet spot. As long as I keep it there - no surprises and same attitude gain every time with smooth transition when the knob is moved. Checking the log is OK but what you are experiencing on the field is what counts, ie how does it fly. I guarantee, if you set the knob and forget it, you will launch with the exact same gain the next day as the one you had when you powered down the day before.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I trust that it will be the same. I think I need to reset the aux throw as well, because I'm not getting the full latitude of the adjustment range described in the manual.

fltundra

Playing around with the gain settings, i was able to get -121 to 81+ with full sweep of the knob with weights set at 20%.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Playing around with the gain settings, i was able to get -121 to 81+ with full sweep of the knob with weights set at 20%.

What are you referring to with "weights?"

i got got an email back from Anthony at xaircraft and he is wondering if my futaba is acting a little weird with the superx. Apparently they've discovered that the Taranis doesn't thing of zero the same as the superx does. More testing...

fltundra

What are you referring to with "weights?"

i got got an email back from Anthony at xaircraft and he is wondering if my futaba is acting a little weird with the superx. Apparently they've discovered that the Taranis doesn't thing of zero the same as the superx does. More testing...
Endpoints or -20% to +20%.