XAircraft SuperX

Electro 2

.......was wondering how you calibrate your radio since there is no direct interface that shows the controls. How do you do that ?

I connect a Ace RC Datamaster to each receiver port and measure the PW for each channel directly. This ensures the radio side of the equation is mapped correctly, and is functioning. Then, any remaing issues are EFC related.

Michael64

He is using a brushless gimbal thus you have to use a brushless controller either Alexmos which I think thats what he is using or there is Martinez Software. You connect the brushless motors to the board controller than you connect a lead from the board to the receiver for Tilt control.

Michael64

rwilabee

I think all of us are experiencing a fairly solid firmware and I am feeling more comfortable with it every day. No major glitches so far, Knock on wood. I would not search for a reason to bash XA. Someone may have had a corrupt file, but sounds like it was fixed, or was just a possible solution to one issue.

I did have a bit of a scare yesterday that I can't explain. I was flying maybe 500m+ out via FPV and all of the sudden I was looking at the sky for a brief second as the quad seemed to power off for a split second. Control came right back and a few seconds later it happened again. I don't have OSD hooked up yet so not sure if it went into Safe Mode (failsafe) or not for a brief second. Maybe the power lines I flew over?(Doubt it). I am not sure what happens if it goes into safe mode and then regains signal. Do we gain control right back again. Since I was in forward flight and it lurched to a stop, maybe position hold was briefly initiated and it put the breaks on hard by tilting back. I flew back without a glitch. Here is a clip from the video of it. (The video if from the gopro on the gimbal. It does not show how big of a glitch it was because it is stabilized, but you can hear the power drop. My FPV camera saw all blue sky. I am also fighting some pan/roll coupling with my Tarot gopro gimbal which is driving me nuts)

i would be psyched to see a better a software utility as Gavin mentioned. Naza and HF both have screens to show how and what the sticks and switches are effecting in the flight controller. SuperX does not have this yet. An LED flash for low battery might be a good feature as well. ;) I may upgrade from basic to pro to try on my octa soon, but having fun with the quad and still hoping HF gets it together with the GPS features. It really is easy to fly these things!

What settings did you have your go pro set to. Looks great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emowillcox

im not using brushless gimbal.. i'm using servos....So I did see this part in the instructions but says you can... Does this mean I need a separate battery to plug into the the GB slot on the flight controller

Gimbal power supply input: can use separate UBEC to power up Gimbal through M7 and M8.

DH106

im not using brushless gimbal.. i'm using servos....So I did see this part in the instructions but says you can... Does this mean I need a separate battery to plug into the the GB slot on the flight controller

Gimbal power supply input: can use separate UBEC to power up Gimbal through M7 and M8.

Yes - a seperate power input is definitely required here if you want the SuperX to control a gimbal. Otherwise the outputs are dead.
I came across this when I consulted our local XAircraft dealer here in the UK.
I was slightly supprised as there is mention in the SuperX docs somewhere about an internal UBEC - presumably this is just for internal use, reducing the main ~12v input voltage.

vispaaja

A quick question, is it possible to disable the GPS (and remove the GPS module?). We're flying near the arctic circle and don't want to use GPS for safety reasons.

Zirt57

A quick question, is it possible to disable the GPS (and remove the GPS module?). We're flying near the arctic circle and don't want to use GPS for safety reasons.

To answer your question first, yes, all you have to do is remove the GPS module and it has been disabled.

Now why would flying near the Arctic Circle have any effect on GPS? The Arctic Circle is just a line drawn on a map. GPS doesn't know anything about it.

Jeff

rwilabee

Why can you just put it in Attitude Mode. That is what you would end up with anyway.

Rich

vispaaja

Now why would flying near the Arctic Circle have any effect on GPS? The Arctic Circle is just a line drawn on a map. GPS doesn't know anything about it.
Jeff

I want to avoid autopilot functions when flying in risky places with expensive gear. The GPS might work but if the magnetometer is located in the same module as the GPS, then that might cause problems. I know people who have had issues and we have had a few close calls too.

Why can you just put it in Attitude Mode. That is what you would end up with anyway.

Yes that is possible, but I want the system to be as simple as possible. I would rather use a separate parachute system, than automatic GPS landing in a failsafe situation, so I don't feel the need to connect the GPS module.

Flying in the artic will not affect your GPS, but will potentially affect your Compass which is why it is not recommended to fly in GPS mode near the poles. That being said flying in ATT is completely fine and does not use the GPS or Compass. Keep in mind that removing your GPS will disable the RTH and failsafe.

karri3nen

Anyone flyied acro and loops with Superx on manual mode? Want to see video ;)! I will have next week Superx on my Hexa and X8 for filming, but always fast flying impress me alot and tells how brains handle´s the multicopter :)?

Thanks for sharing experiences about these brains. Easier to start with own gears next week! :)

br karri3

http://www.k3ilmakuvaus.fi

The SuperX flies well at speed, but acro is honestly not really what it was designed for. The SuperX is intended to for aerial photography and video with smooth and stable flight. You would be better flying a KK board or something cheap if you want to do acro stuff.

karri3nen

The SuperX flies well at speed, but acro is honestly not really what it was designed for. The SuperX is intended to for aerial photography and video with smooth and stable flight. You would be better flying a KK board or something cheap if you want to do acro stuff.

Thanks for info :)! I´ve been using 1,5 years multiwii for that before it KK boards :). This was just question while waiting my SuperxX arrive to my hexa and X8 ;). If there is somewhere video of flying flips with Xaircraft brains. just for fun to see...

Stacky

Drew,
I have been using HFP boards for close to 3 years now and am still totally happy with them. However i am currently messing around with a waterproof hexa build and need a FC which can do something the HFP cant do. The HFP cant be armed if the FC is moving and if trying to arm or launch off a boat for example its an impossible task unless you arm on land which isnt very practical. The other problem for me with the HFP is its physical size which because of how the connection pins are positioned makes the board take up even more real estate than just the boards dimensions. Im needing to reduce that area.
I have one thing which I dont need and have no desire to use which is the GPS side of things, I have played with it briefly but with respect to how I fly and what im doing GPS isnt something I require.
So, can i buy a SuperX without the GPS component and if I cant am I able to operate the SuperX without the GPS enabled?. If it is possible to buy one without the GPS, how much?. Can the SuperX be armed while its sitting on a moving platform?

Stacky

No, I am making my own frame. I love the Dexx frames and will ultimately try and build out of CF as he has done. My new build is a spider hexa but its another prototype built using tupperware containers and other odds and ends.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
sounds like the best answer to this is to keep a lipo plugged in at all times once you have gyros initialized on land. maybe a 1000 mah 3s to be safe. Then just swap it after plugging in a full size cell on the 2nd batt cable. Assuming you have 2 lipos powering your heli, otherwise this would require soldering a lead specifically for this. but I can see if it was waterproof this could be a real PITA.

Hasnt anyone tried reversing all this fancy gimbal equipment and making a stabilized landing/take-off platform?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I can’t answer whether or not you can buy a superX without a GPS, but I know it works fine with out it being installed. I tested mine. I just unplugged the GPS. Manual and Atti mode works completely the same as it does with the GPS installed.. you just don;t have RTH or the GPS function.

And i’m not sure about arming while moving.. i guess i could try it... just wiggle a rig around after i plug it in?