Zenmuse H3 2D Paper Weight

weldonassoc

OK, I don't have anything bad to say about the gimbal. I really like it with my Phantom and FPV.

What I do want to stress is that if you are using it to fly close to free standing objects, tether it to the frame of your UAV.

I learned the hard way, and $700 later, if you bump your Quad into something, it will shake the gimbal loose from its bushings and free fall. Luckily I did not damage the GoPro, but I would have rather replaced the GoPro Hero3 Black with the new Hero3+ Black than the $700 Gimbal.

Now, I have a new Zenmuse H3 2D Paper Weight.

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
hi there

as you say when ever using the grommet type balls for vibration dampeners between two plates

a good safty tip is to use a couple of zip ties through the centers of at least two of them for the added safety factor

dont sinch the ties up tight leave them slack so they dont effect the dampening

should the grommet balls pop free from the plates then at least you still have the gimbal etc still tethered to the frame via the zip ties

keith

weldonassoc

hi there

as you say when ever using the grommet type balls for vibration dampeners between two plates

a good safty tip is to use a couple of zip ties through the centers of at least two of them for the added safety factor

dont sinch the ties up tight leave them slack so they dont effect the dampening

should the grommet balls pop free from the plates then at least you still have the gimbal etc still tethered to the frame via the zip ties

keith

That was my thought as well. Zip ties are a wonderful thing.

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk 2

Maverick

Proper gimbals should be designed so that the weight is hanging from the top plate, therefore compressing the balls, not the bottom plate, where it is stretching them... That's where the balls perform best. This way, the camera can never detach from the mount.

check out the Tatot T-2D. It's done like this. View attachment 13989

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 262

Rainman

To be honest, the gimbal coming away from the airframe isn't a bad thing. Had everything been indellibly connected then the resultant damage could have undoubtedly have been much worse.

You elect to spend money on this stuff, you assemble it all, you get to review the final build and you alone make the safety assessment and the final decision to put it in the air, therefore it's down to you. I've not heard of anyone else stating that the gimbal might come away from the aircraft in normal operation, so the issue isn't with the gimbal.

The fact is that nothing is infalable, motors fail, ESC's go pop, blades break and we all have brain-farts and fly into stuff that we never intended to. Overal the reliability of the basic mechanical parts of a DJI multi-rotor have a pretty decent track record of just working, and working well, but as the old saying goes "sh!t happens". If you want a hobby with less financial risk then maybe stamp collecting may be more your thing. If you decide to put something into the air then the fact that it will come back to rest on the ground is an absolute certainty, but what can never be guaranteed is whether it will make it into the air a second time. You can only ever do your level best to tip the odds in your favour, but they start out stacked against you, always. So why even fly close to something which increases the odds of it all ending badly? Where was your risk assessment?

I use the same gimbal on an F550 with a WKM and I definately WONT be tethering it and would strongly suggest that others don't either. An unbalanced load swinging around the underneath of your multirotor could result in a far more certain disaster involving ALL of your rig and potentially being much more dangerous to others around you, as opposed to just loosing the gimbal and camera which should fall straight down and away from the airframe. Only one thing more iresponsible than flying something which could end up becoming uncontrollable in the event of a problem, and thats flying in close proximity to something that could take your quad out of the air.

What if the gimbal didn't detatch and became entangled with whatever it was you collided with? What if the object that you collided with happened to be a person? In that scenario and from a safety point of view the gimbal going into free-fall is more preferable. You have to think of worse case scenario. You might not like it but the paper-pushers that analyse incidents involving this kind of stuff are far more in favour in your kit self destructing than presenting a danger to others, and I'm pretty much of the same mind.

Another observation and another reason to not mess with the design - if you fly your equipment in the manner in which is was designed to be operated and it fails then you are not to blame. If you make an alteration to the equipment, however insignificant you might think it is, and it goes wrong then the manufacturer is off the hook, and it's all down to you. Again, it doesn't matter if you like that notion or not, because thats how it would be considered in legal arguments, and you're on a hiding to nothing.

Stacky

Its quite amazing how many of the gimbals using these types of balls for vibration isolation have the design so completely wrong. Those balls are designed to be used under compression as you have shown with the Tarot version. Quite staggering that DJI engineers have got it so wrong.

Proper gimbals should be designed so that the weight is hanging from the top plate, therefore compressing the balls, not the bottom plate, where it is stretching them... That's where the balls perform best. This way, the camera can never detach from the mount.

check out the Tatot T-2D. It's done like this. View attachment 17650

weldonassoc

To be honest, the gimbal coming away from the airframe isn't a bad thing. Had everything been indellibly connected then the resultant damage could have undoubtedly have been much worse.

You elect to spend money on this stuff, you assemble it all, you get to review the final build and you alone make the safety assessment and the final decision to put it in the air, therefore it's down to you. I've not heard of anyone else stating that the gimbal might come away from the aircraft in normal operation, so the issue isn't with the gimbal.

The fact is that nothing is infalable, motors fail, ESC's go pop, blades break and we all have brain-farts and fly into stuff that we never intended to. Overal the reliability of the basic mechanical parts of a DJI multi-rotor have a pretty decent track record of just working, and working well, but as the old saying goes "sh!t happens". If you want a hobby with less financial risk then maybe stamp collecting may be more your thing. If you decide to put something into the air then the fact that it will come back to rest on the ground is an absolute certainty, but what can never be guaranteed is whether it will make it into the air a second time. You can only ever do your level best to tip the odds in your favour, but they start out stacked against you, always. So why even fly close to something which increases the odds of it all ending badly? Where was your risk assessment?

I use the same gimbal on an F550 with a WKM and I definately WONT be tethering it and would strongly suggest that others don't either. An unbalanced load swinging around the underneath of your multirotor could result in a far more certain disaster involving ALL of your rig and potentially being much more dangerous to others around you, as opposed to just loosing the gimbal and camera which should fall straight down and away from the airframe. Only one thing more iresponsible than flying something which could end up becoming uncontrollable in the event of a problem, and thats flying in close proximity to something that could take your quad out of the air.

What if the gimbal didn't detatch and became entangled with whatever it was you collided with? What if the object that you collided with happened to be a person? In that scenario and from a safety point of view the gimbal going into free-fall is more preferable. You have to think of worse case scenario. You might not like it but the paper-pushers that analyse incidents involving this kind of stuff are far more in favour in your kit self destructing than presenting a danger to others, and I'm pretty much of the same mind.

Another observation and another reason to not mess with the design - if you fly your equipment in the manner in which is was designed to be operated and it fails then you are not to blame. If you make an alteration to the equipment, however insignificant you might think it is, and it goes wrong then the manufacturer is off the hook, and it's all down to you. Again, it doesn't matter if you like that notion or not, because thats how it would be considered in legal arguments, and you're on a hiding to nothing.

Rainman, thank you for your lengthy dissertation on the concept of hobby, but if you noticed in my original comments, I have nothing bad to say about DJI or the Gimbal. In fact, I liked it so much, I just purchased a replacement Zenmuse H3 2D. Secondly, my intent for this thread was not to complain, but to teach others not to make the same mistake that I have made. Isn't that the true concept of forums like this? So that we all learn from others experiences? In the future, keep your condescending comments to yourself unless you intend to be a little more helpful in the process.

Chris W.

weldonassoc

Its quite amazing how many of the gimbals using these types of balls for vibration isolation have the design so completely wrong. Those balls are designed to be used under compression as you have shown with the Tarot version. Quite staggering that DJI engineers have got it so wrong.

And yes Stacky, that is a much better design. Hopefully manufactures will read these forums and react accordingly.

Chris W.

Rainman

Rainman, thank you for your lengthy dissertation on the concept of hobby, but if you noticed in my original comments, I have nothing bad to say about DJI or the Gimbal. In fact, I liked it so much, I just purchased a replacement Zenmuse H3 2D. Secondly, my intent for this thread was not to complain, but to teach others not to make the same mistake that I have made. Isn't that the true concept of forums like this? So that we all learn from others experiences? In the future, keep your condescending comments to yourself unless you intend to be a little more helpful in the process.

Chris W.

Chris,

I wasn't being condescending, but I can be if thats what you really want - I did read my original posting through a few times and indeed had to edit it a fair bit to try and stay objective and try and illustrate the point that I was making, in that there isn't very much wrong with the DJI design and that the fact that the gimbal can come away is probably quite deliberate, and that perhaps you're better off just not flying into stuff in the first place.

I did read your comment about not having an complaints about the product, but you seem to contradict yourself at the same time by implying that had the product been different then you wouldn't now have a $700 paperweight. Now come on, you can't have your cake and eat it and then not expect someone to call you out on it.

I was hoping that instead of responding in the sarcastic tone that you're now adopting that you would, perhaps, inwardly digest my very valid comments on safety. Alas, it appears that this particular concept and the fact that issues of 'safety' and 'you getting your gear back intact after every flight' are so completely seperate that, via your response, I can now understand why you're having difficulty grasping the notion. In much the same way that I notice that you would choose to completely ignore the very sound advice that modifying the failure mode of a product could land you in very hot water, especially since you've not even thought through the consequences of potentially tethering an unbalanced and shifting mass underneath your airframe.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. Do as you wish, I was just trying to provide a different insight and perhaps you might see that what you had experienced was actually a much more preferable outcome to what it could have been. You'll note I didn't even dare to ask what you flew into since I was (initially at least) keen to save your blushes. The only extra bit of advice I would offer is probably not to admit that you flew into anything at all (even if you did), don't say you have no problem with the product (even if you do), because then if you want to belly-ache about it later you're not going to give if mixed messages.

weldonassoc

Chris,

I wasn't being condescending, but I can be if thats what you really want - I did read my original posting through a few times and indeed had to edit it a fair bit to try and stay objective and try and illustrate the point that I was making, in that there isn't very much wrong with the DJI design and that the fact that the gimbal can come away is probably quite deliberate, and that perhaps you're better off just not flying into stuff in the first place.

I did read your comment about not having an complaints about the product, but you seem to contradict yourself at the same time by implying that had the product been different then you wouldn't now have a $700 paperweight. Now come on, you can't have your cake and eat it and then not expect someone to call you out on it.

I was hoping that instead of responding in the sarcastic tone that you're now adopting that you would, perhaps, inwardly digest my very valid comments on safety. Alas, it appears that this particular concept and the fact that issues of 'safety' and 'you getting your gear back intact after every flight' are so completely seperate that, via your response, I can now understand why you're having difficulty grasping the notion. In much the same way that I notice that you would choose to completely ignore the very sound advice that modifying the failure mode of a product could land you in very hot water, especially since you've not even thought through the consequences of potentially tethering an unbalanced and shifting mass underneath your airframe.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. Do as you wish, I was just trying to provide a different insight and perhaps you might see that what you had experienced was actually a much more preferable outcome to what it could have been. You'll note I didn't even dare to ask what you flew into since I was (initially at least) keen to save your blushes. The only extra bit of advice I would offer is probably not to admit that you flew into anything at all (even if you did), don't say you have no problem with the product (even if you do), because then if you want to belly-ache about it later you're not going to give if mixed messages.

Your an ***, you know that. You act so pom-pass and condescending like you've never hit anything, EVER. My comments in this thread were not to bash anyone or any product, but to let people know from my experience that the bushings will come loose if the UAV oscillates to correct itself from a simple run in with an object and how to correct. I could care less that anyone knows that I actually hit something and to say that you haven't, you haven't been in this hobby/business long enough or just flat out lying.

As for your concerns for safety, that is not an issue. I don't fly in areas where that would be a concern. But then again, you read way too much into what this post was originally about.

I was looking at some of your other posts in other threads on this forum and you have the same condescending tone with others. Stop acting like your better than everyone else and be productive here.

ChrisViperM

Guys....pleeeease, calm down. Just agree that you are both right and respect each other, that way we can keep this forum as nice and calm as it always used to be.

Chris

deluge2

Interesting analysis. It's also interesting that the same considerations can lead to starkly different ideas and recommended actions.

Your critique appears to rest on assumptions that all such incidents are similar, which I think is a manifestly poor assumption. For example, you appear to conclude that any tethering would result in a huge mass swinging uncontrollably from under the airframe. I use loops of high strength Kevlar line tied loosely through one damper on each support pad. I don't like the idea of zip ties flopping around. If the craft encounters forces sufficient to detach a support pad's dampers, the Kevlar line will prevent complete detachment, but is short enough to avoid a wildly swinging gimbal scenario.

In fact the only real-world examples of wildly swinging H32D Zens I've read about we're incidents where the damper plate connection failed (no tethers) but the 8 pin cable remained attached. In at least on case the video continued to be both recorded in camera and transmitted via VTx to a ground station. And even those incidents ended with safe landings. So to achieve the complete detachment safety you advocate, you'd need to engineer a reliable breakaway cabling system. With those facts, it's hard to accept the premise that anything less than full detachment would have resulted in damage that would undoubtedly been much worse.

Also the risk of damage from full detachment includes the gimbal plus camera falling and causing property damage or personal injury. And realize than there are gimbals and camera/lens combinations considerably larger and heavier than the baby Zen plus GoPro H3.

So I recommend pilots carefully consider the pros and cons of gimbal tethering, rather than uncritically following any particular advice.

Steve

<snip>

I use the same gimbal on an F550 with a WKM and I definately WONT be tethering it and would strongly suggest that others don't either.

<snip>

What if the gimbal didn't detatch and became entangled with whatever it was you collided with? What if the object that you collided with happened to be a person? In that scenario and from a safety point of view the gimbal going into free-fall is more preferable.

<snip>

DennyR

Fact is that if you have perfectly balanced motors and props. you need only the very hard rubbers or none at all with a Phantom.

Rainman

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your input and thank you for keeping it civil. :)

Interesting analysis. It's also interesting that the same considerations can lead to starkly different ideas and recommended actions.

Your critique appears to rest on assumptions that all such incidents are similar, which I think is a manifestly poor assumption.

I'm not assuming that all incidents are similar, of course they never are. But I am considering the worst possible scenario. In my line of work it is my job to consider 'failure modes' of the products that I work with, to consider ways in which to mitigate the fall-out of such events and implement them. In this particular instance we are considering just one type of event, that being the gimbal and camera assembly seperating from the airframe. The 'root cause' to such an event can be analysed extensively but you will most likely find that all such causes will be similar and only really fall into a couple of different categories - equipment failure or pilot error. You can then analyse these and open them up to reveal a lot more information in themselves.

The problem here is that however a failure manifests and whatever the result is, it can lead to a number of different outcomes for which it would be impossible to try and second guess how best to mitigate the results of a failure. Therefore, you are left with only one choice and that is to consider the 'worst case scenario'. You cannot possibly cover all the bases - if only for the simple fact in that you may not have even considered some of the types of failure, they may simply never have occured to you. Not only that but the different permutations, cause and effect and the random nature of these things make it impossible to predict. Reasonably, you can ONLY ever work to prevent the worst case scenario, which much of the time can indirectly or directly result in mitigating against other more minor things too. Anyway, I'm not intending to bore with the logic behind this since it's an entirely different and completely theorethical debate.

Boil it down to the basics - we are talking about people flying RC aircraft and the only constant is gravity directing all objects under it's influence downwards. Cameras, gimbals, etc, are largely irrelevant and we can simply consider them to be a payload of a variable nature but really whats the worst thing that can possibly happen when flying an RC anything ? It's not actually whether your model crashes or not, it's not even whether the root cause was down to you or an equipment failure - it is merely down to the simple factor of whether your model, if for whatever reason it's out of control, is the likelyhood of it causes injury to someone or damage property, or even death - the fact is that you are always present at take-off and so the answer to that always 'yes, it's possible'. How it happens is actually irrelevant because the various root causes can end up with the same outcome and you can practically guarantee that you will crash something at some time. It's those nasty outcomes that are the main thing to avoid. Your equipment can be replaced, a person cannot.

For example, you appear to conclude that any tethering would result in a huge mass swinging uncontrollably from under the airframe. I use loops of high strength Kevlar line tied loosely through one damper on each support pad. I don't like the idea of zip ties flopping around. If the craft encounters forces sufficient to detach a support pad's dampers, the Kevlar line will prevent complete detachment, but is short enough to avoid a wildly swinging gimbal scenario.

Well lets consider that statement for a moment. What does 'tethered' actually mean? You could tether something with any number of different materials with different properties, you can tie it loosely or tightly. In this particular instance we're talking about tethering around the vibration absorbing connectors, which suggests to me that you don't want to be tieing this stuff about too tightly without affecting the performance of the solution. If we take that as a given then you can only draw the conclusion that should the gimbal detatch itself for whatever reason that it's no longer going to be in the same static configuration that it started out in, in other words it will become loose and potentially moving seperately from the airframe - maybe not like a huge pendulum, but movement of any mass can result in some incredibly dynamic situations - a moving mass, even slightly, has much higher energy than one at rest. I'm kinda at a loss as to wondering how you could tie it to make sure it didn't move. If it became seperated without tieing it tightly it would therefore negate the performance of the solution in the first place.

In fact the only real-world examples of wildly swinging H32D Zens I've read about we're incidents where the damper plate connection failed (no tethers) but the 8 pin cable remained attached. In at least on case the video continued to be both recorded in camera and transmitted via VTx to a ground station. And even those incidents ended with safe landings. So to achieve the complete detachment safety you advocate, you'd need to engineer a reliable breakaway cabling system. With those facts, it's hard to accept the premise that anything less than full detachment would have resulted in damage that would undoubtedly been much worse.

OK, lets just clarify what it is that I was actually advocating - leaving the manufacturers solution unmodified and making a consious decision to not tethering the gimbal in any way. No more, no less, and in actual fact what I'm suggest is 'do nothing'. I'm not actually advocating a safe fall-away detachment of the gimbal and camera as an end-tp-end solution, as you are 100% correct in that you would need to engineer something to ensure it happens that way 100% of the time. My point was merely that the outcomes of literally doing nothing could be preferable to proactively doing something, and I ended that point by making a note on the legal implications of changing the manufacturers desgin.

Also the risk of damage from full detachment includes the gimbal plus camera falling and causing property damage or personal injury. And realize than there are gimbals and camera/lens combinations considerably larger and heavier than the baby Zen plus GoPro H3.

Very true. But which is worse? - an object of a given mass dropping vertically straight down, or one that is potentially circling randomly above everyone's heads until it eventually and unpredictably comes to rest almost anywhere? You have to admit that if a gimbal was tethered (not necessarily using your method, but you have to consider that it could be tethered using any number of solutions, some effective and some not so) that there is a chance that it could lead to instability of the aircraft. The alternative of the item dropping straight down and on it's own has to be preferable to being still attached to a flying machine equipped with lots of chopping implements would could end up coming into contact with someone, even yourself. If you go and ask any professional in the field of risk assessment and present them with the two options then you already know which one they are going to take, and they won't give a moments thought for the cost of your equipment.

So I recommend pilots carefully consider the pros and cons of gimbal tethering, rather than uncritically following any particular advice.

Steve

I would echo your sentiments completely. Everyone should always consider all the outcomes, but not to be too distracted by protecting their investment but rather should focus on protecting everyone else around them. It might not make for the most favourable outcomes for the RC operator but thats just a fact of life and is the basic ethos of responsible aero-modelling.

I see this debate popping up all the time, and I largely suspect it's due to this particular part of the aeromodelling hobby and the VTOL aspect being so appealing and so much more accessable to almost anyone, that a number of operators first exposure to aeromodelling is multirotors, and not the conventional introduction to RC flying that folks that have been in this hobby for more than 3 years will typically have.

The comments that the OP made to me in his last post did question my qualifications as an RC flyer and he seemed to think that I was giving the impression that I'd never crashed. The simple fact is that I have been examined (and passed) at various levels by my national governing body in this field, and so I have a qualification to fly this equipment and I have all the insurances in place by being a member of the BMFA and hold A and B certifications in all disciplines. Despite that I have crashed, lots of times, and I'm just as liable to do so as anyone else and always will be. As far as making my own potentially expensive paperweights I've spent thousands on gas turbine powered 200mph+ jets in the past and being involved in this hobby at the outset for more than 10 years via a local BMFA affiliated club (in fact the oldest recorded club in England) and even serving on it's commitee as it's 'Jets Officer' does give me an insight that people that just fly a Phantom in their back yard or down their street or over in some random field, will possibly never have. I've attended and flown at national events specifically for gas turbine models more times than I can remember and I've always had to be accountable to the safety personel at these events - thats how I qualify my experience and opinion in this matter, but none of that makes me an expert. This is merely my own opinion, and unfortunately for the OP I'm entitled to it even if he doesn't like it. He can call me all the names he like, it doesn't bother me and only serves to prove a point.

Rainman

Fact is that if you have perfectly balanced motors and props. you need only the very hard rubbers or none at all with a Phantom.

A very good point indeed, and one thats been overlooked. I suspect that vibration is going to be a sigficant factor in a number of cases.

B

Bengit

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your input and thank you for keeping it civil. :)

I'm not assuming that all incidents are similar, of course they never are. But I am considering the worst possible scenario. In my line of work it is my job to consider 'failure modes' of the products that I work with, to consider ways in which to mitigate the fall-out of such events and implement them. In this particular instance we are considering just one type of event, that being the gimbal and camera assembly seperating from the airframe. The 'root cause' to such an event can be analysed extensively but you will most likely find that all such causes will be similar and only really fall into a couple of different categories - equipment failure or pilot error. You can then analyse these and open them up to reveal a lot more information in themselves.

The problem here is that however a failure manifests and whatever the result is, it can lead to a number of different outcomes for which it would be impossible to try and second guess how best to mitigate the results of a failure. Therefore, you are left with only one choice and that is to consider the 'worst case scenario'. You cannot possibly cover all the bases - if only for the simple fact in that you may not have even considered some of the types of failure, they may simply never have occured to you. Not only that but the different permutations, cause and effect and the random nature of these things make it impossible to predict. Reasonably, you can ONLY ever work to prevent the worst case scenario, which much of the time can indirectly or directly result in mitigating against other more minor things too. Anyway, I'm not intending to bore with the logic behind this since it's an entirely different and completely theorethical debate.

Boil it down to the basics - we are talking about people flying RC aircraft and the only constant is gravity directing all objects under it's influence downwards. Cameras, gimbals, etc, are largely irrelevant and we can simply consider them to be a payload of a variable nature but really whats the worst thing that can possibly happen when flying an RC anything ? It's not actually whether your model crashes or not, it's not even whether the root cause was down to you or an equipment failure - it is merely down to the simple factor of whether your model, if for whatever reason it's out of control, is the likelyhood of it causes injury to someone or damage property, or even death - the fact is that you are always present at take-off and so the answer to that always 'yes, it's possible'. How it happens is actually irrelevant because the various root causes can end up with the same outcome and you can practically guarantee that you will crash something at some time. It's those nasty outcomes that are the main thing to avoid. Your equipment can be replaced, a person cannot.

Well lets consider that statement for a moment. What does 'tethered' actually mean? You could tether something with any number of different materials with different properties, you can tie it loosely or tightly. In this particular instance we're talking about tethering around the vibration absorbing connectors, which suggests to me that you don't want to be tieing this stuff about too tightly without affecting the performance of the solution. If we take that as a given then you can only draw the conclusion that should the gimbal detatch itself for whatever reason that it's no longer going to be in the same static configuration that it started out in, in other words it will become loose and potentially moving seperately from the airframe - maybe not like a huge pendulum, but movement of any mass can result in some incredibly dynamic situations - a moving mass, even slightly, has much higher energy than one at rest. I'm kinda at a loss as to wondering how you could tie it to make sure it didn't move. If it became seperated without tieing it tightly it would therefore negate the performance of the solution in the first place.

OK, lets just clarify what it is that I was actually advocating - leaving the manufacturers solution unmodified and making a consious decision to not tethering the gimbal in any way. No more, no less, and in actual fact what I'm suggest is 'do nothing'. I'm not actually advocating a safe fall-away detachment of the gimbal and camera as an end-tp-end solution, as you are 100% correct in that you would need to engineer something to ensure it happens that way 100% of the time. My point was merely that the outcomes of literally doing nothing could be preferable to proactively doing something, and I ended that point by making a note on the legal implications of changing the manufacturers desgin.

Very true. But which is worse? - an object of a given mass dropping vertically straight down, or one that is potentially circling randomly above everyone's heads until it eventually and unpredictably comes to rest almost anywhere? You have to admit that if a gimbal was tethered (not necessarily using your method, but you have to consider that it could be tethered using any number of solutions, some effective and some not so) that there is a chance that it could lead to instability of the aircraft. The alternative of the item dropping straight down and on it's own has to be preferable to being still attached to a flying machine equipped with lots of chopping implements would could end up coming into contact with someone, even yourself. If you go and ask any professional in the field of risk assessment and present them with the two options then you already know which one they are going to take, and they won't give a moments thought for the cost of your equipment.

I would echo your sentiments completely. Everyone should always consider all the outcomes, but not to be too distracted by protecting their investment but rather should focus on protecting everyone else around them. It might not make for the most favourable outcomes for the RC operator but thats just a fact of life and is the basic ethos of responsible aero-modelling.

I see this debate popping up all the time, and I largely suspect it's due to this particular part of the aeromodelling hobby and the VTOL aspect being so appealing and so much more accessable to almost anyone, that a number of operators first exposure to aeromodelling is multirotors, and not the conventional introduction to RC flying that folks that have been in this hobby for more than 3 years will typically have.

The comments that the OP made to me in his last post did question my qualifications as an RC flyer and he seemed to think that I was giving the impression that I'd never crashed. The simple fact is that I have been examined (and passed) at various levels by my national governing body in this field, and so I have a qualification to fly this equipment and I have all the insurances in place by being a member of the BMFA and hold A and B certifications in all disciplines. Despite that I have crashed, lots of times, and I'm just as liable to do so as anyone else and always will be. As far as making my own potentially expensive paperweights I've spent thousands on gas turbine powered 200mph+ jets in the past and being involved in this hobby at the outset for more than 10 years via a local BMFA affiliated club (in fact the oldest recorded club in England) and even serving on it's commitee as it's 'Jets Officer' does give me an insight that people that just fly a Phantom in their back yard or down their street or over in some random field, will possibly never have. I've attended and flown at national events specifically for gas turbine models more times than I can remember and I've always had to be accountable to the safety personel at these events - thats how I qualify my experience and opinion in this matter, but none of that makes me an expert. This is merely my own opinion, and unfortunately for the OP I'm entitled to it even if he doesn't like it. He can call me all the names he like, it doesn't bother me and only serves to prove a point.

Re: The simple fact is that I have been examined (and passed)....

Multirotor exams?

Rainman

Re: The simple fact is that I have been examined (and passed)....

Multirotor exams?

Holy quotes batman! :tennis:

When I state "all disciplines" I'm referring to all the disciplines that the BMFA covers in it's acheivements scheme ... there is no multi-rotor acheivement scheme and since you're in the UK and presumably a member (???) then I would expect you to know that. Being examined under the A and B Helicopter schedules should suggest to most folk who are aware of the content and the purpose of those exams that the focus is on the safe operation and use of such machines and this applies to multi-rotors just as much as helicopters, although it is quite easy to make the distinction of helicopters being substatially more dangerous than a heavily stabilised multirotor.

I think it's also a pretty safe assumption that anyone that is competant with a collective or fixed-pitch helicopter equipped with nothing more than a gyro on the tail-rotor will be able to competantly fly a typical multirotor from day one in a fairly safe manner. The same cannot be said of someone that has been exclusively flying heavily stabilised multi-rotors attempting to fly a traditional RC heli. The physical controls might be the same but they are actually miles appart. Someone that has been flying nothing more than a Phantom in their back yard is actually likely to seriously injur themselves if they took a very common model like the Raptor 50 and tried to do the same. I've yet to hear of someone decapitating themselves with a DJI Phantom - I'm not suggesting that multirotors are all cute and fluffy and safe, because they're not and thats the point I'm trying to make.

I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make, but assuming you're concerned about the safe operation of multirotors and in the absence of anything else offered by the governing body responsible for radio controlled flight in the UK (with the exception of maybe the BNUC cert, but thats about demonstrating competance to carry out 'aerial work' in accordance with the CAA scheme and doesn't apply to hobbyist flyers) then I would suggest that a complete novice to multi-rotors could do a lot worse than to join the BMFA and partake in the BMFA Helicopter acheivement scheme. Membership also provides public liability insurance which is something that anyone flying a multirotor should have, regardless.

Last edited by a moderator: