yet another new build - needing some guidance

si3po

well, following on from the above post:

Thanks again Jay, I've taken a look but I think that link isn't discussing the v5.5 boards using the same firmware.... I only say that as my kk5.5 has the AtMega168PA as is brains, not the AtMega48 as in the original KK boards...

i found that the KK5.5 board can be re-flashed with the v4.9 firmware from LazyZero with their flashing tool, and i'm pretty happy with the processes doing that so i've moved on to sourcing the other components now...

I've got the Frame (HK X550), ESC's (HK F-30A) and motors (Turnigy 2230-11 1000kv) selected, but i'm stuck with what battery. I've plugged a few numbers into eCalc, and got some encouraging results using this, a Rhino 25C 4000mAh 3S2P battery. The reviews say the battery weighs in at under 350g all in (eCalc says a 3S2P 4000mah is 600g+) very encouraging, especially since its 3s2p! Using eCalc and plugging in my numbers, and using 1047 props i get run times of 10+ minutes and hover at 46% throttle.... i'd really like to know if you guys think the battery is any good?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm not sure I understand the "2P" part of that battery. Typically that denotes 2 batteries. At 350g, it's about 60 grams lighter than my nano-tech 5000mah 35C battery. Not sure where the ecalc would net out on weight savings vs. mah.

Your numbers seem to be coming in line though. 10+ is decent - and the throttle is very good. And remember, ecalc is only an estimate - you may get better results when actually flying.

jbrumberg

The HK literature states it weighs 342 grams. So it's wired up internally with two packs wired in parallel? This is where my background puts me at a loss:monkey:, but weight-wise my 3S1P4000mAh Zippy compact weighs in at 286 grams. So the Rhino could be considered a "heavy" battery. It's too early and I do not have enough coffee to remember and think through all the 1P and 2P battery business yet, but that battery seems heavy.

The eCalc numbers are starting to check out. It's coming together.:)

si3po

Thanks guys. I'll ask another question about the battery itself elsewhere as well so that any experts can come in also.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I'll ask another question about the battery itself elsewhere as well so that any experts can come in also.

Si, please be sure to report back what you find. I do know that if you plug "2P" into eCalc it will double the weight - because it assumes that you are using 2 batteries in parallel. I'd be curious to find out whether this is a typo or a whole new technology.

jbrumberg

Good idea:stupid: I am not recommending the Zippy compacts either. They are lightweight, seem to work, but CQ is not the greatest. I have one battery that is not "right", never was. I use it, but I do not like it, and I do not trust it.

si3po

I'll wait on the replies from RCG about the Rhino battery before I let lose the cash... But until then I'll keep looking. What do we all think too the Turnigy Nano-Tech batteries?

jbrumberg

The general feeling I get at RCG is that they are liked right now, but it seems brands and brand names go through "cycles" of the "best" and the "worst". There will always be complainers. I am still trying to get my head around and started to research the cost/benefits between 3S1P or a 3S2P batteries right now. This was not a good thing for me with which to start my day earlier.:highly_amused:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
So the 3S2P is not a typo? I'm going to let you all figure this out. My brain is already fried :)

This is forum seems to love the nano-tech. But jay is right, everyone has an opinion. It's like "which is the best motor oil." The debate will never end. I chose nano-tech because I read enough positive reviews by the time I was exhausted by the research.

SoCal Blur

So the 3S2P is not a typo? I'm going to let you all figure this out. My brain is already fried :)

This is forum seems to love the nano-tech. But jay is right, everyone has an opinion. It's like "which is the best motor oil." The debate will never end. I chose nano-tech because I read enough positive reviews by the time I was exhausted by the research.

Why, 100% Ester Synthetic, of course! LOL :highly_amused:

jbrumberg

cost/benefits between 3S1P or a 3S2P batteries...cost/benefits between 3S1P or a 3S2P batteries...cost/benefits between 3S1P or a 3S2P batteries. So far the way it's packaged and packed, wrapped, and wired before it's wrapped again in its final wrapping. 2P's more wire, run cooler, and are heavier. So something else runs hotter somewhere else. My mind is running hot:eek: and is unwrapping:torn: I need to go outside and work on my woodpile.

Last edited by a moderator:

si3po

Last edited by a moderator:

jbrumberg

Good luck on the next part of the journey. Since I can not fly due to the weather at least I can read posts from those who can or hopefully will.

si3po

Feel free to get extra batteries or esc's using my links.... They're sure to come in use at some point. Lol

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Congratulations! You are well on your way. Won't be long now you'll be second guessing every purchase you made, and wishing you had unlimited cash for bigger and better.... Oh wait, that was me! :)

jbrumberg

Congratulations! You are well on your way. Won't be long now you'll be second guessing every purchase you made, and wishing you had unlimited cash for bigger and better.... Oh wait, that was me! :)

Myself as well, but this was part of the understanding that I made with myself. The next build will contain those other components. That was the deal I made. Pretty decent deal. :) I could not do anything about the cash thing:black_eyed:

SoCal Blur

Myself as well, but this was part of the understanding that I made with myself. The next build will contain those other components. That was the deal I made. Pretty decent deal. :) I could not do anything about the cash thing:black_eyed:

The deal I made with myself was that I was going to build the best (and biggest) I could and stay within my budget. Then someting funny happened. I caught the disease that our federal goverment has called deficit spending. The only difference is that I don't have the ability to print money whenever I need to pay the bills.

jbrumberg

SoCal Blur- Sure you can, with some fancy printer; and pay your bills with those nice new bills too. Just cut them nice and cleanly. And in a very short period of time you will have no bills to worry about, a place to stay, and "3 hots and a cot". And maybe we will see: For Sale: Tarot T1000 Octocopter
8 SunnySky V4010-14 motors - 8 ZTW Spider Series 60A SimonK ESCs
MultiWii PRO Ez3.0 FC w/GPS - FrSky Taranis 2.4Ghz ACCST - X8R (16 channel)

Wow. But I could only drool

Seriously. If I can keep this frame intact I hope to change/add components and learn component by component