Mikrokopter Y6 Setup: Tips and Tricks

ovdt

Hello everyone,

I'm converting my Flat Hexa to Y6 configuration. MKTool doesn't provide official Y6 mixer table, there are some mixer tables out there including this: http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/mkm

Motor alignment:

main.php

So, there are two important parts as far as I read:

* Mixer table
* Prop selection

jes1111 wrote a good post on OP forums about prop selection: http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/5631-props-for-y6/

So, in theory bottom props should have higher pitch values than the top ones.

So here are my quesitons:

* What are your mixer settings for your Y6 setup? (Did you change the standart MKM file provided in the .de site? )
* What are your prop selection?

I hope this thread helps for those building a Y6.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hello everyone,

I'm converting my Flat Hexa to Y6 configuration. MKTool doesn't provide official Y6 mixer table, there are some mixer tables out there including this: http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/mkm

Motor alignment:

main.php

So, there are two important parts as far as I read:

* Mixer table
* Prop selection

jes1111 wrote a good post on OP forums about prop selection: http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/5631-props-for-y6/

So, in theory bottom props should have higher pitch values than the top ones.

So here are my quesitons:

* What are your mixer settings for your Y6 setup? (Did you change the standart MKM file provided in the .de site? )
* What are your prop selection?

I hope this thread helps for those building a Y6.

I am using the same settings. Props are thge smae both top and bottom.. Mine works well so I dont see the need to experiment,,

On my standard lift I use Graupner 11x5 electro.

On my HL I am setting it up on 13 x 6.5 APC electric BUT I have curtousyof Geoff at quadcopters.co.uk a set of Xoar 13.6.5 carbons.. WOW they are amazingly high quality.. to good to experiment with though.. Will get new HL Y6 settled on APC props then go to Xoar

Dave

plingboot

umm… slightly concerned i might have bought the wrong props.

my hexa 2 came with 10" ones, so i've just forked out on 4 sets of 10" graupners which arrive tomorrow.

Using the original roxxy motors with the Y6, so do i return these for 11" ones or should they be ok?

the AD130 mount is a few months off yet so i'll only be carrying a gopro mounted on a 2 servo diy bracket, so no huge weight to carry.

ovdt

Setting up Y6 conf easy with MKTool. Just copy paste this configuration file into notepad and save as Y6.mkm:

[Info]
Name=Y6
Version=1
[Gas]
Motor1=64
Motor2=64
Motor3=64
Motor4=76
Motor5=76
Motor6=76
Motor7=0
Motor8=0
Motor9=0
Motor10=0
Motor11=0
Motor12=0
[Nick]
Motor1=32
Motor2=32
Motor3=-64
Motor4=32
Motor5=32
Motor6=-64
Motor7=0
Motor8=0
Motor9=0
Motor10=0
Motor11=0
Motor12=0
[Roll]
Motor1=64
Motor2=-64
Motor3=0
Motor4=64
Motor5=-64
Motor6=0
Motor7=0
Motor8=0
Motor9=0
Motor10=0
Motor11=0
Motor12=0
[Yaw]
Motor1=64
Motor2=64
Motor3=-64
Motor4=-64
Motor5=-64
Motor6=64
Motor7=0
Motor8=0
Motor9=0
Motor10=0
Motor11=0
Motor12=0

To load this .mkm file to your copter is easy. In MK Tool, click on FlightCtrl and then click Settings while pressing Alt. I thing they've changed the behaviour with 0.86 firmware.

To go Mixer setup and load this new mkm file.

Double check the motors are spinning to right direction. You don't need to reverse the cable anymore with BL-Ctrl 2.0. Hold Ctrl key and click on settings. You'll access to BL-Ctrl interface. This way, ypu can reverse the motor direction.

I'm ready for flying. I'll try different props, and will need to adjust PID settings for my taste. Will write other details once I do them.

BTW, I'm promoting Droidworx AD6-HL frame as a back-up copter. I'm not happy with their motor mount system and CNC machined some custom frame and booms. That's for another topic.

Photos are coming soon, here is my Y6 setup:

* MK Electronics + Navi + GPS + Bl Ctrl 2.0
* Tiger Motor MT2826 motors (KV550)
* Custom Frame
* Props to try: APC 14x4.7 SF, JXF Wood Electric props (13x6, 12x6).

ovdt

Ok, here are the pictures first:

View attachment 1151View attachment 1152View attachment 1153View attachment 1154View attachment 1155

I had a problem with seeing the front of the craft with flat Hexa. Now, it's easier. Additionally, I added a small boom to the front, so it will be much easier to recognize the nose when flying high. (That extra empty CFK boom doesn't exist in the design actually :) )

The total weight of the copter is 3.2 kg, including 4s, 5000 mAh Lipo and MD2 camera mount. I haven't attached any camera yet.

I used 13x6 JXF wood props. I want to decrese the pitch, increase the diameter. So I'll try 14x4.7 APC SF and JXF 14x4 wood props. With current prop, I have additional 2.2 kg payload capacity. When I change the props with 14x4, I'll have the same payload capacity but I hope it'll ascend and descend smoother.

My frame consist of G10 center plate (2mm thickness), Delrin motor mounting clips, and aluminium 40cm booms. I'm using DWX landing gear right now but soon I'll be changing it with mines. The build itself is very stiff.

About Tiger MT2826 motors: They run very smooth. They have 5mm shaft, 550KV and can easily rotate 14-15" props. It still stays cool. I haven't yet setup a bench to test the motors but it looks like I'll be happy with it.

With the current setup, (1x 5000mAh Lipo and no camera) I have 8-9 minutes flight time. Today, I worked on Gyro PID settings for smooth flight. I ended up with these settings:

Gyro-P = 100
Gyro-I = 137
Gyro-D = 7
Dynamic Stability = 50
Acc/Gyro Comp = 45
Main I = 16
Gyro Stability = 8

Stick-D/P are set at 4

I have problems with PH. I'll work on that tomorrow. When I activate PH, it holds at the first second. But after, it starts to make circle and the circle gets bigger and bigger everytime. And I have wobble with PH.

I tried some settings and not extensively. I'll check the power cable, I suspect of some electromagnetic interference with the NaviCtrl.

For the night, I'll be working on my DJI Wookong-M Quad setup. I'd like to fly it tomorrow.

Attachments

• _DSC5189.jpg
    _DSC5189.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 508
  • _DSC5191.jpg
    _DSC5191.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 297
  • _DSC5193.jpg
    _DSC5193.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 314
  • _DSC5194.jpg
    _DSC5194.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 367
  • _DSC5200.jpg
    _DSC5200.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 298

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Looks good.. I will be interested in your settings..Mine is solid as a rock in no wind but in justsy wind I am sure I can get it better..

As for orientation get some leds on it!

Dave

ovdt

It's been rainy for a few days and it looks the rain will continue smashing the ground. So I couldn't do any further tests.

I attached some leds to the arms and did a simple LED distribution board (I copied it from Gunter! :) ). Photos and videos will come soon.

Dave, I think I will need some those superbirghtleds for sunlight orientation.

ovdt

One of those boring flight video:

She moves like a tank, very stable.

Last edited by a moderator: