Hoverfly X-8 survives loss of one prop... No problem

JZSlenker

Yeah, I can blow that up.
Well, I can now confirm the awesome redundancy of the X-8 HFP. I was on a shoot today flying over an auto auction. I was 50 or so feet off the ground on a fourth or fifth flight of the day when the sound of the props changed. I got back down quickly which involved flying around a light pole. Once on the ground I noticed I was one prop short. When flying back I didn't notice any appreciable handling issue. HFP continues to amaze me. I really love our X-8. Now I know that I can loose a motor, prop, or esc and still fly home safely. Thanks again Hoverfly.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Great to know! But did you break a prop or did the motor just stop? Not that it matters for redundancy but just curious as normally a prop breaks and others go around it.

JZSlenker

Neither, a prop nut somehow worked its way loose. I'm not sure how as they are all loc-tited. At any rate checking the prop nuts has now been added to our preflight check list.

hjls3

any chance we are gonna see some video? and good job on getting it to land in one piece. even though you stated no noticeable handling issues - good job staying calm.

Bluerex

Great to hear that the X8 is a winner!! This is the exact reason I chose the DW XM 4x4 frame (after much head scratching and forum surfing - and some good advise from other DroidWorx owners of course).
My F550 will be a play/non-critical platform with an indestructible GoPro NOT the 550d Canon :)

Charles.

PS. Do other people use nyloc nuts on their props?

View attachment 7675

Attachments

• NY120041L-NYLOC-NUT-M20.jpg
    NY120041L-NYLOC-NUT-M20.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 289
Last edited by a moderator:

Bowley

This is good to hear, I've almost finished my XA X650 X8 in its 4th incarnation, with HFP and Turnigy Plush ESC's. Really looking forward to getting it airborne.

Badfrog

I lost a prop on my quad a few weeks ago... The prop did not come off the hub, the hub came off the motor shaft! one of the 2 set screws was missing on the hub... I was SURE they were all locktited, but I must have missed one.
Be sure to add hub set screws to the preflight list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Nice post! I think we could all benefit from lock nuts on our prop adapters. Its something than in hindsight should probably be included with all motors from their manufacturer.

Great to hear that the X8 is a winner!! This is the exact reason I chose the DW XM 4x4 frame (after much head scratching and forum surfing - and some good advise from other DroidWorx owners of course).
My F550 will be a play/non-critical platform with an indestructible GoPro NOT the 550d Canon :)

Charles.

PS. Do other people use nyloc nuts on their props?

View attachment 9912

JZSlenker

any chance we are gonna see some video?

I would love to, but our company policy makes that difficult. (Otherwise id have tons of stuff posted) Plus this was actually for another production company. ( it was kind of a Crews Control deal)

Last edited by a moderator: