Wraith, a custom Y6 build

Thorn3

SoCal Blur: Thanks ! I was an engineer, but used machines a lot for prototypes at work and hobby work at home. I didn't have a classical education in machining but it was pretty easy to figure out as I went. Learning the basics comes quickly and once one has the feel of a machine, the rest is really just imagination. I am sure you could pick it up quickly and start creating just about any parts you want.

About five years ago I purchased two new hobby machines, a mill and a lathe. I have the Grizzly G4000 lathe and the G6109 mill. With some simple modifications and adjustments, they produce parts that are reasonably accurate (.001" or better is typical). They are not terribly expensive or difficult to work with. They do pay for themselves quickly, depending on frequency of use. Not being industrial machines, there are limitations that require a certain level of patience however. If you have the desire to do it, I highly recommend taking that step. It really does open up new possibilities in the hobby.

The Wraith has options yet to be explored. FPV is top of the list. Retractable landing gear, just for the fun of it. She will be mostly airframe, with limited sections protected with a 'shield' if you will. The overall look planned is that of a mechanical insect. The FPV camera for instance is set up to be the head. It is also why the camera gimbals assembly is more ornate than need be. I want to be able to look past the shielding and see the cool mechanisms beneath. I am also contemplating designing a miniature BB gun for it. It would be fun to shoot targets like cans, etc. I don't expect extreme efficiency, after all this is all about fun. But, everything that is going into her is designed to be as efficient as possible to make up for the toys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Simspeed

Terrific work Thorn3....I love fine craftsmanship and attention to detail. I'm sure everyone will enjoy seeing the finished product....I know I will. Thanks...TP

SoCal Blur

SoCal Blur: Thanks ! I was an engineer, but used machines a lot for prototypes at work and hobby work at home. I didn't have a classical education in machining but it was pretty easy to figure out as I went. Learning the basics comes quickly and once one has the feel of a machine, the rest is really just imagination. I am sure you could pick it up quickly and start creating just about any parts you want.

About five years ago I purchased two new hobby machines, a mill and a lathe. I have the Grizzly G4000 lathe and the G6109 mill. With some simple modifications and adjustments, they produce parts that are reasonably accurate (.001" or better is typical). They are not terribly expensive or difficult to work with. They do pay for themselves quickly, depending on frequency of use. Not being industrial machines, there are limitations that require a certain level of patience however. If you have the desire to do it, I highly recommend taking that step. It really does open up new possibilities in the hobby.

The Wraith has options yet to be explored. FPV is top of the list. Retractable landing gear, just for the fun of it. She will be mostly airframe, with limited sections protected with a 'shield' if you will. The overall look planned is that of a mechanical insect. The FPV camera for instance is set up to be the head. It is also why the camera gimbals assembly is more ornate than need be. I want to be able to look past the shielding and see the cool mechanisms beneath. I am also contemplating designing a miniature BB gun for it. It would be fun to shoot targets like cans, etc. I don't expect extreme efficiency, after all this is all about fun. But, everything that is going into her is designed to be as efficient as possible to make up for the toys.

Wow, you're right, the Lathe is relatively inexpensive. Sears has them for about $1k. And its small enough to fit in my apartment! I couldn't find anything on the G6109 mill, though. Hmmm... maybe this will be my next piece of equipment. I'm always looking to add to my skill sets and I can relive my days in high school metal shop :nevreness:

Segelflieger

Hello everyone,

Well I'll just be lurking here after all I know Thorn personally but I would like to watch this flying machine come to life.

Best regards from Dresden, Germany

Thorn3

Attachments

• SPR_1.jpg
    SPR_1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 340
  • SPR_2.jpg
    SPR_2.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 295
  • SPR_3.jpg
    SPR_3.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 266
  • SPR_4.jpg
    SPR_4.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 259

Thorn3

Toymaker: Thanks! A question for you. In your build, is there a reason you chose Nylon over Delrin for the mounts?

Thorn3

Did some machining on the servo arms. While doing so, I decided to modify my machines to take into account that I am not getting any younger. My eyes just don't like working with dials on the mill, so I ordered a DRO so I can more easily keep track of table movement. Dials just don't cut it, especially when lead screws have as much as .004" backlash. As soon as a direction is changed, the dimensions are lost. The DRO will prevent this from being a problem and will allow me to watch numbers, not count rotations of a dial. It will also allow me to watch actual table movement, instead of increments of screw rotation.

The lathe is also getting an overhaul. Head was taken apart, bearings cleaned and reset. The drive system is being overhauled with a VFD (variable frequency drive) instead of the stock step pulleys and clunky induction motor. The motor developed a vibration that conducted into the bed, which caused some pretty elaborate patterns in the cuts. Not good for making parts of any real quality. The original motor is a stock, Chinese build, which is not all that impressive. No sense in replacing it with another of the same. The new VFD drive will allow full speed adjustment without the need for the step pulley assembly, making the system smaller, lighter and more accurate.

I will not be making more parts until the upgrades are finished, which is about a week.

Thorn3

crazyhorse21: Thanks! I agree... it disheartens me every time I machine parts and see that laser etched 'made in China' on the vise. I would grind it off, if it wouldn't ruin the surface. I suppose I could Photoshop it out. :shame:

Machine rebuilds are in progress. Should be able to get back to making parts in about a week or so.

thorn3,

but at the end of the day ... your work supersedes everything else ...

hope to see more pics as you move along ...

what flight controller are you targeting ?

thanks

chX

Thorn3

crazyhorse21: I have six 'Afro' ESC's and one 3DR PixHawk. I run the software on my Sony Vaio Duo 13.

Thorn3

This is for anyone who wants to get into home machining, using the Grizzly (or equivalent) G4000 lathe:

http://makerspace.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/68326461/Rebuild 920 Lathe Manual.pdf

The link will bring you to a page that describes how to turn the machine into a more serious machine. They do work as they are, but modifying them will produce a machine that can produce parts comparable to parts made on far more expensive machines.

For those who have or want a hobby sized mill, here are two pics of the new DRO's that just arrived. No, they are not industrial grade... those DRO's cost about as much as the mill itself. I have used the DRO type seen in the pics, on my Z axis. It is functional and reliable. For hobby use, it is cost effective and works just fine. No need to go out and spend up to or over a grand on a professional DRO.

My machines are in a state of rebuild at this time. DRO installation on the mill and a complete drive assembly for the lathe.

View attachment 17631View attachment 17632View attachment 17633

Attachments

• DSCF0952.jpg
    DSCF0952.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 345
  • DSCF0953.jpg
    DSCF0953.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCF0954.jpg
    DSCF0954.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 310