Would this be a good build for aerial photography?

So I want to get into aerial photography and this is what I have so far:

Frame: Turnigy Talon Hexcopter (V1.0) Carbon Fiber Frame - 625mm (AR Wareh... or

Tarot FY680 IRON MAN 680 Hexa-Copter Carbon Kit TL68C01 (AR Warehouse)

Motors: Turnigy Multistar 4225-610Kv 16Pole Multi-Rotor Outrunner (AR Wareh...

ESC: Afro ESC 30Amp OPTO Multi-rotor Motor Speed Controller (SimonK Firmware) (AR Warehouse)
Battery: Turnigy nano-tech 6000mah 4S 25~50C Lipo Pack (AR Warehouse)

I have the Sony A100 with an 18-200mm lens currently, would it be okay to be use this for photography? What could I use for a gimbal for this? Would it be better for me just to buy like a GoPro Hero 3?

I was also wondering how it would when I took pictures(like how I would set it up). I have a Turnigy 9x so its 9 channels, so I don't think that will be a problem.

Finally, what flight controller would be best? CC3D? MultiWii? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
The battery is on the small side for such large craft. I would go for about twice the mAh.

Thanks for that, I will go up to something like 6000 or 6500. Would the Sony A100 be good to use for this? Or should I buy a GoPro?

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It really requires asking yourself what you'd like to accomplish, and what type of quality you're looking for.

The Sony is somewhat heavy for the feature set. But if you're happy with it - then you'll need to design the craft around those needs.

Start designing your MR by determining the payload you'd like to carry (camera/gimbal), then move backwards.

Motors that can provide the thrust required. Props size needed to achieve thrust. Frame capable of handling the prop size etc.

The flight controller is another matter. It really depends on whether you'd like to tweak or more plug-n-play (never absolute)? Do you want GPS?

Plenty of questions to answer. But better to do it now than to find yourself coming up short on your build after spending a ton of money.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The one SleepyC linked is the newer version of your second link. I just sold one - and in cleaning it up for sale I really appreciated the design, folding mechanisms and room it had. Although I 3D printed an extra plate for stacking more crap :)

Thanks for these responses. I am really not sure if I should get a GoPro or use the Sony. Would the GoPro be better because of the wide angle lens? I think I will go with that frame.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The one you linked is the older version. It doesn't have an integrated power distribution board and has an older version of the folding mechanism - which reportedly broke easier.

The wide angle you refer to creates what's called fisheye - and that's something many people try to avoid. If you like the wide angle and don't mind the distortion - go for it. You would be able to get a very good gimbal far cheaper than the one that would work for the Sony.

Awesome, looks like I will go with the GoPro. Finally, the flight controller. Autonomous flying really is not that important to me. I would just like a flight controller with great stabilization. Any recommendations on that front?

I can be a tinkerer, as long as programming the flight controller is not too complex. Am I correct in saying that this would be the "best" option because I could make it suit my exact needs?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
You haven't really described your "needs," so I'm not sure if they would overwhelm some of the other options that are far easier.

Budget is also a factor. Programming multiwii or Pixhawk can be challenging (or worse), and are very full featured, and reasonably priced. Something like the Naza V2 or Xaircraft superx are more money - but have enough features for most. The CC3D you mentioned is marketed most to FPV racers, but I'm sure can be capable. But I believe it can not have GPS which you may or may not want.

Do you have experience with RC or multirotors?

Yes, I built one with a CC3D but it was much smaller than this one. I do not have experience with FPV so I am still kind of confused on how to connect everything. Where do I connect the gimbal(Tarot T-2D) and my video transmitter to? Do I need another battery for them or could I add them to the PCB somehow? I would like to spend less than something like the Naza.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Do you want to do FPV as well? You never mentioned that.

Are you asking about connecting for power?

Depending on the equipment you buy, you can either run it off the flight batteries or you may need a regulator to provide stepped down voltage.

Haha yeah I guess I did forget to mention that. I would like to do FPV with the GoPro. I am asking about the Boscam TS832 video/audio transmitter. I plan on also using the Tarot T-2D gimbal. How would I supply power to both of these. Thank you for all of your help.

The other question I had was about the frame. It seems as though it is made to attach the ESCs to the motors at the end of each arm. This would mean that you would have to extend the wire of the ESC that is getting power, meaning a greater distance between the PDB and the ESC. I thought that this was bad and you were only supposed to extend the wire on the other side(leading to the motor).

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It's possible to put the ESCs on the frame - but it's right. I ran mine on the motor mounts with no issues. There is plenty to read about it if you have a week to 10 days. The debate rages on... :)

You need to look up those two pieces of gear and see what voltage they require. Also the FC you decide on. I would suggest doing some serious research on all the components before you hit "buy now." The gimbal will want a regulator for sure. I don't know that VTX specifically.

There are some great build threads for this frame with sunnysky motors that get good flight times and are typically better quality than the Turnigy stuff, in my experience.

Thank you for all of your help. I will continue to do some research. Finally, do you think I would be fine just using a CC3D for the copter?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think it depends on whether you want GPS.

Also, you realize that the tarot gimbal is only 2-axis, correct? Probably fine for just photo. But if you wanted video - 3 axis is much better.

I found another gimbal on HK that is 3 axis and it can go all the way up to 28v. It says that you can just tap into the PDB(I guess PCB in this case) or the battery. How would I go about that with the PCB that is pre-installed? Also, what happened to the OpenPilot Revo? I feel like it is nowhere to be found now.