Wookong IMU V2

Dewster

I that the same as the WKM V2? It's also encased in aluminum and I read somewhere that it actually communicates with the ESCs.

Tomstoy2

I don't know about communication with the esc's.
It was designed specifically to accomidate the heavy lift multi's. Lots of those guys were having a few issues.
So far dji has been pretty quiet about it. I only know of one guy that has recieved one, seems to work.
Unless you are going to go into heavy lifters, the white box should give you no issues.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I that the same as the WKM V2? It's also encased in aluminum and I read somewhere that it actually communicates with the ESCs.

New WKM as seen on NAB was called A2M if its really the end produkt name we will see. There is a general upgrade of the IMU going on, thus a IMU v2 if that will be in a alumium case we will see. It should have better vibration dampening for all the users experiencing drops due to z axis ACC not hacking it anymore. For communication with the ESC you also need the right ESCs and FW on them. Chances are low that with the standard ESCs we are using now this will be possible. Thus ESC feedback will probably come with the A2M complete setup and new ESCs from DJI. Either only for the S800 or they will push out standalone ESCs !

Boris

Tahoe Ed

I think the new esc's will be part of the S800 EVO and allow for bidirectional communication. The A2M is a piece to behold, built in Futaba radio with Spektrum satellite support. All components aluminum. Very pretty indeed and probably very costly as well. My guess, somewhere between the WKM and the Ace One.

I really wonder if DJI only fixed the appearance of their new A2M with metal and some auxiliary features or has done any work software and hardware wise. I am sure the first beta testers will let us know.​

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I was unaware of the S800's 7kg threshold. Seems to me that DJI did not do their sums at all. Bloody idiots.

According to the 'letter from DJI to dealers' DJI refer to the "..heavily loaded S800 (for example above 7kg) ..." WHAT? They have built and market this as a Professional AP system, specifically to carry specific cameras and recommend a 6S 10,000 mah LiPo to power it all. I have a standard S800/WKM/Z15G+retracts (because they forgot to include them from the outset - even though the system includes a 360 camera mount) with a 6S 10,000mah LiPo and it all weighs in at 7261g.

Even though I am using their standard designed AP system I am classed as one of the heavy-lifter users - as if I am exceeding designed usage. ITS BLOODY BOG STANDARD fer chrissakes.

I have no problem at all with paying for performance enhancing upgrades following normal development but the IMU/height drop issue is by their own admission, a design fault. I purchased this entire DJI rig four months ago and it displayed this disconcerting height drop thing from the outset. To my mind four months is well within the guarantee period for replacement of faulty manufacturing.

Tomstoy2

It's an issue for anybody flying a heavy lifter. DJI is only offering a discount trade up for the s800 owners. Don't fly an s800, don't get the discount, have to wait for the release. Do fly an s800, have to be a registered owner, or prove you do somehow.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Apparently the S800 is the only airframe that vibrates sufficiently to upset the Wookong-M IMU. Funny that, really - since it is DJI's own design.

Theoretically though the problem should be apparent in any airframe that vibrates, I suppose.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
WTH is going on here.

Comment DJI please...

Lanzar?

DJI dealers?

I fly WKM on all my MR's and am quite happy with the performance but the white lights are becoming more frequent with the latest upgrades.

Is it the old IMU's cant cope with current firmware!

It seems the WOOKONG philosophy is leaving DJI! for the $ philosophy!

Come on DJI as Mombassaflash says we dont mind paying for credible improvements but if the IMU is showing weaknesses then for pittys sake dont let disasters happen due to bloodymindenness

Dave

shco1t

WTH is going on here.

Comment DJI please...

Lanzar?

DJI dealers?

I fly WKM on all my MR's and am quite happy with the performance but the white lights are becoming more frequent with the latest upgrades.

Is it the old IMU's cant cope with current firmware!

It seems the WOOKONG philosophy is leaving DJI! for the $ philosophy!

Come on DJI as Mombassaflash says we dont mind paying for credible improvements but if the IMU is showing weaknesses then for pittys sake dont let disasters happen due to bloodymindenness

Dave
You said just what I've be thinking, I to get the white flashes when adding weight, do we have to pay for miss advertising on dji's behalf doesn't seem fair.

Dewster

Am I correct in assuming this is just an S800 issue?

I found this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/rWXihEygjuQ

Are the drops in altitude occurring while the craft is in a turn?

i haven't had any issues with my WKM on a flat Hexa. My Y6 would slowly descend out of altitude until I replaced the bottom props (Graupner 11x5) with Graupner 12x6. Is rock steady now.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisViperM

What do we have here: GPS on the WooKong happend to be crap....now it's GPS V2....then it was the ESC's which "killed" a serious number of S800's....now it's the ESC V2....HDMI board on the Zenmuse was crap....now it's the HDMI board V2.....OSD Mark I was crap....now it's OSD Mark II....now it turns out that the WooKong IMU is crap and gets - guess what - replaced by IMU V2. The funny part is that the hole in the top-plate of the S800 is still tight as hell around the IMU.... I might get the new IMU just to minimize the chances of a crash, but will definitely stay away from this company in the future alltogether.

There is other alternatives out there (might not look as cool or need more tuning) but at least there is a choice....the future looks bright, even without DJI

Chris

Question from someone that is not to up to speed to other brands then DJI and KK black board what is a good next step for someone who have a Naza?

Would love to get some input from you more experienced people.

I won't mind tinkering as long there is some guidance and help to get.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
What do we have here: GPS on the WooKong happend to be crap....

Pretty accurate summary there.

I will refrain from DJI-bashing for a moment until we see what sort of responses are generated - if any - by the general outcry over yet another admission of faulty design of a vital component and the DJI policy to continue charging their existing customers for what ought to be replacements under guarantee. The Zenmuse was all that I wanted. I had no choice but to buy the WKM as well and then, because the Droidworx XM were still not available at the crucial time last November, I reluctantly bought the S800 just to make a system to take to Kenya. In its defence the totally modular design is a very neat solution, particularly for travel, but this unending series of electronics boobs is pathetic. There isn't much left to replace or upgrade, with the exception perhaps of the bendy booms.

DJI has good ideas and is generally good on the fabrication of parts, but their current attitude towards customer care in the face of self-confessed factory design failures is deplorable.