Which FPV set up ?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ok so now I want FPV.. who uses what? and Why?

Links would be good

Dave

This is what I use on both MK and Hoverfly, inexpensive and it works well. http://hobbywireless.com/cart/index...id=404&zenid=20b13e25dd2b4411c6daeef7d2ab5939 If you scroll down the page you have the option to add a camera and patch antenna, I use the SN 777 camera on the HF and GoPro video out on the MK, bothe work equally well. The video TX has a built in mic so you can also get sound from the multi's point of view. The RX has dual outputs so I usually have one going to the screen or goggles and the other to a cheap DVR to record the flight as I'm seeing it and also as a reference should the craft go down in the woods. I'll see roughly where it went down from the camera view though that may not necessarily help find it, it's better than nothing.

Ken

P.S. you'll also need either a set of goggles or a monitor to view the flight on. Decent goggles run from about $250 up, and a cheap 7 inch monitor can be had on fleabay for about $75 though you won't be able to use the monitor outside in direct sunlight, it needs to be in the shade to see the screen clearly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Ken.. do you have any form of head up display like altitude and direction etc?

That is cheap.. I dont want to fly more than 500m or so anyhow.. I just want it to fly my Gaui around for the fun of it and possibly use it for seeing what my camera is seeing when I am taking photos

dave

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Thanks Ken.. do you have any form of head up display like altitude and direction etc?

That is cheap.. I dont want to fly more than 500m or so anyhow.. I just want it to fly my Gaui around for the fun of it and possibly use it for seeing what my camera is seeing when I am taking photos

dave

One of the nice features of the Hoverfly board built in OSD, though like most everything else Hoverfly at the moment it has limited functionality, good for battery voltage and altitude though. No OSD on the MK as I usually have it flying itself on a GPS waypoint route when I use the FPV, its navigating, I'm just aiming the camera or along for the ride, and if it all goes bad I click the come home switch and let it find its own way back :)

I'm thinking FPV may become a primary use for the stock Hexa which means either buy a third video TX and another camera or just remove the gear from one of the other multis, really no reason to have all of them setup for FPV. I do rather like the new Fatshark googles with built in TX though, does reduce the amount of gear needed to fly FPV but correspondingly will lighten the wallet as well!

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Had a go with the fat sharks on my mates little quad, I would like a ready to go package and the fatshark ones seem reasonable and easily transferable. Not sure what the camera quality is like though.. Have you thought of the head tracking ones.. thought it may be useful to have a look around you to see where you want to go next and keep the flight fluid especially if videoing

Dave

Ok so now I want FPV.. who uses what? and Why?

Links would be good

Dave

I use a 900mhz 500mw TX/RX from Range video with a patch antenna. I use a monitor instead of goggles. There is a video on another thead that shows some FPV flying we did a golf course. We were not going far distances but there was not a flicker in the signal. There are def. more serious systems out there but they're pricey too and I've had good success with our system so far. Like I said though I don't plan on going great distances or flying solely in the goggles. I like being able to line up shots FPV but also flying line of site, hence the monitor. All that with the power supply and monitor is a lot of gear though, not gonna say it isn't a pain.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks RHP. I have put them on my list to research more when I get home at the weekend. That sounds good as I am not in to long range stuff either.. Not yet anyhow! In saying that I was not even into RC 6 Months ago let alone thinking about flying a camera

Kilby

I do rather like the new Fatshark googles with built in TX though, does reduce the amount of gear needed to fly FPV but correspondingly will lighten the wallet as well!

Ken

I'm using the 5.8 FatSharks and I can't say much bad about them. They block the light out very nicely and really keep you in the first person view without any outside distractions. The resolution is good compared to other goggles and it's so nice to have a small footprint like that when going out to the flying field. My only complaint is the 100mW vTX they come with stock. The range was just to short. Some places sell it with the 600mW, but I didn't go that route and later ended up upgrading so now I have two. I guess I'll just have to put the little guy on my Traxxas RC Truck and have some fun in the yard! ;-)

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I was looking at the head tracker one so I could look around to get orientation and look where I want to go rather than just fly around with a front view.. Did not know they did different powers.. do you have any links to them

Dave