What's the weak link for heavy lifter Hexa / Octo setups?

ovdt

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to multirotor world but got into the action very fast :)

I'm figuring out my second project: Very heavy lifter Hexa / Octo Mikrokopter.

I'd like to lift cameras like Red Epic or Canon 1D Mark IV. My payload will be around 8 lbs (~4kgs).

My question is: What is the bottleneck with kind of heavy payload? Motors? Frame? Battery?

Motors: I think a motor like Axi 2826-12 in a Hexa setup would provide enough power for lifting 8-10 lbs. (I haven't seen anyone using this kind of motor with a mikrokopter though)

Battery: I think I can connect 4 pieces of 4S 6600 mAh Lipo's in parallel to get enough hover time.

Frame: I haven't seen Droidworx AD-8 HL frame but I'm sure Mikropter's default OctoXL frame isn't strong enough for this kind of payload. (center plate).

Which frames should I look for? Or is it best to go with home made frames? It's easy for me to build a aliminium frame but not carbon-fiber frame.

I'll be waiting your ideas.

Thanks for this great community!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Take a look at the DW specs

Here

http://www.droidworx.com.au/specifications.html

Their in testing with the CS8 which is their heaviest lift platform.. total lift caperbility 8.8Kg.

From experience I would say dont aim to maximum weights, try to get it a 1/4 to a 1/3 under spec max flying weight.

As for home made stuff check out posts from Zorba and from DennyR

Dave

PS welcome to the forum its a great place with so much experience its without doubt the place to hang!

jes1111

Aluminium is a good material. CF is sexy but expensive and not as effective (in off-the-shelf sheet/tube form) as many people believe. Consider making a honeycomb sandwich (with two thin aluminium plates and some hard foam) for your central fuselage.

Axi 2826/12 motors are probably more than you need. 2820/14's will spin 14" props. At this weight you might need to consider supplementing yaw control - see attached image. The servo-controlled "rudders" provide yaw control (and mean that you don't need counter-rotating prop pairs).

Remember, too, that at that kind of take-off weight you'll encounter more regulatory requirements in many countries. For example, in the UK aircraft above 7.5kgs are treated differently.

Attachments

• 2bbadb3561.jpg
    2bbadb3561.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 264