XAircraft what is that smell

I just PMed you both. Anyone who is active on the forums and wants to try out the SuperX I am happy go give you a deal in exchange for spreading the word.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
That is what I really love about the SuperX, unlike the Naza or other FC’s that fight you in GPS mode, the SuperX does not feel any different than atti mode at all, it is just smooth and then when you stop it just sits there.

So far everyone I have let fly my rigs with SuperX on them wants one.

I have just completed my build X650 with Super X and I agree 110% with what you say, this auto pilot is absolutely fantastic the Xaircraft X650 is a fantastic quad frame also mine from the other side of the pond... XaircraftAustralia

David

SMP

Hello Drew, the part about GPS not fighting the Pilot is appealing.

We fly a host of birds using DJI FC's. We've found a couple of stable versions of the DJI FW and as a result have had good results. However, have also had GPS dropouts which did NOT transition smoothly to Atti and were quite scary. Consequently, we've only used RTH on our larger birds once to test and have never flipped the switch again. Similarly we don't flip any DJI related feature such as waypoints, Point of Interest, IOC etc. It would be nice to have a FC which would give a consistent and smooth GPS for filming and an RTH that inspired confidence as opposed to fear. Any feature set beyond this would be bonus. Additionally we fly Flat 4's, Flat 6's, Flat 8s and Coax 8s. When you crack the Coax/Asymmetrical mix definitely interested.

So let me ask you this, beyond what you've already indicated, what do YOU think SuperX does better than either the DJI Wookong/A2 and Naza lines?

Looking forward to your response, genuinely.

SMP

Aerovideo

Not sure if I was on your PM list but I didn't receive one either :)

I'm definitely willing to give one a try, ready to buy a new flight controller.

jrlederer

You guys talking all this good stuff about this SuperX FC is making me think I'm about to do something dumb and buy yet another FC. The reason I say dumb, because I have more flight controllers than I have frames to put them on! Let's see here: I have tried and have sitting in my closet a YS-X6 (I never really used because it was erratic behavior during set up), A slew of mikrokopter stacks, two DJI Naza v2's, a WooKong, and an A2, two or three Ardupilot Mega 2.5's, an Autoquad 6 (pisses me off as I haven't been able to set up properly due to the ridiculous initialization routines), Hoverfly Pro, and an OpenPilot Revolution (haven't opened the box yet..anyone know if this is a decent unit once setup??), not to mention the handful of homemade multiwii boards i began with by disassembling nunchucks from my gaming system back in the day. The point of all of this is to accentuate that I need another FC like I need another hole in my head. That being said, don't count me out just yet!

That being said, run down the basics of this controller regarding price point, functionality as compared to the slew of other controllers I have on hand, and let me know if a) I should buy this to try out on my big boys; SkyJib 8 or Cinestar 8 (both of which use semi-non-standard ESC boards, namely the amazing all-in-one Andreas Baier's Herkules III and the questionable (but great for me thus far--knock on wood) AEROdron Aerodrive 8 ESC/PDB boards. Are you aware of any incompatibility issues when using this SuperX FC with these boards, because it definitely was an issue, for instance, using CC Ice 50's with the YS-X6 FC. It had yo do with the PWM values when at high stick not being sufficient to enter the ESCs into programming mode/calibration mode.

Thanks, and, fwiw, maybe I can be included in the discounted price for my experience and ability to test this controller with uncommon high-end components?

Jonathan

Hello Drew, the part about GPS not fighting the Pilot is appealing.

We fly a host of birds using DJI FC's. We've found a couple of stable versions of the DJI FW and as a result have had good results. However, have also had GPS dropouts which did NOT transition smoothly to Atti and were quite scary. Consequently, we've only used RTH on our larger birds once to test and have never flipped the switch again. Similarly we don't flip any DJI related feature such as waypoints, Point of Interest, IOC etc. It would be nice to have a FC which would give a consistent and smooth GPS for filming and an RTH that inspired confidence as opposed to fear. Any feature set beyond this would be bonus. Additionally we fly Flat 4's, Flat 6's, Flat 8s and Coax 8s. When you crack the Coax/Asymmetrical mix definitely interested.

So let me ask you this, beyond what you've already indicated, what do YOU think SuperX does better than either the DJI Wookong/A2 and Naza lines?

Looking forward to your response, genuinely.

SMP

The biggest and most noticeable improvements are 1) The way it flies in GPS mode 2) How smoothly it transitions from GPS to ATT mode (you can't tell) 3) How well the RTH works. It will about freak you out how fast it flies back the first time you do it 4) How fast the GPS gets a lock after you have done the first calibration, it is usually around 10 seconds for 9+ satellites.

The SuperX does not have all of the bells and whistles that the DJI products do, BUT every feature on the SuperX works and will give you confidence to use them. I think that many of you who don't use GPS right now may decide to make the switch for some types of shoots because it lets you concentrate more on getting the shot and less on keeping it in the air.

On the larger multis you will literally be able to park it in a spot and let go of the sticks. It is jaw dropping. SleepyC (Stephen) can confirm. In addition, the performance in the wind is outstanding. I know it might sound like I am blowing a bunch of smoke because I sell them, but it really is that good.

The only thing that is a bit of a pain is calibrating the compass. I recommend doing it any time you go more than a few miles away. It doesn't take long to do, but with a large hex or octo it can be awkward. Wish there was a way around it, but just wanted to make a full disclosure!

Last edited by a moderator:

araines2750

Hexa Crazy
I think it is the ink on the box.
I have noticed the smell as well.... the "old" black XA packaging.
Kloner... the Box?.....alright guys...not that "box"....
Andrew

kloner

Aerial DP
hahaha, i could certainly use a pair..... grab me a pair if you see em on black friday sale,,, I'm a broke uav pilot, will work for beans..... so i need them bad boys

haha, the box.... could've been. it all smells normal now... it had a plastic wrapper on it and when i broker i out, it smelled like somebody's box, for sure

SMP

The biggest and most noticeable improvements are 1) The way it flies in GPS mode 2) How smoothly it transitions from GPS to ATT mode (you can't tell) 3) How well the RTH works. It will about freak you out how fast it flies back the first time you do it 4) How fast the GPS gets a lock after you have done the first calibration, it is usually around 10 seconds for 9+ satellites.

The SuperX does not have all of the bells and whistles that the DJI products do, BUT every feature on the SuperX works and will give you confidence to use them. I think that many of you who don't use GPS right now may decide to make the switch for some types of shoots because it lets you concentrate more on getting the shot and less on keeping it in the air.

On the larger multis you will literally be able to park it in a spot and let go of the sticks. It is jaw dropping. SleepyC (Stephen) can confirm. In addition, the performance in the wind is outstanding. I know it might sound like I am blowing a bunch of smoke because I sell them, but it really is that good.

The only thing that is a bit of a pain is calibrating the compass. I recommend doing it any time you go more than a few miles away. It doesn't take long to do, but with a large hex or octo it can be awkward. Wish there was a way around it, but just wanted to make a full disclosure!

Appreciate the response, if the biggest headache is Compass Calibration, that's a win! One thing DJI does very well is Keep it Simple Stupid in their FC Setups. I know some FCs perform very well but need an advanced degree in engineering... We've gotten decent at PIDs with the gimbals but how is the SuperX compared to DJI in GUI Setup and Configuration.

Appreciate the response, if the biggest headache is Compass Calibration, that's a win! One thing DJI does very well is Keep it Simple Stupid in their FC Setups. I know some FCs perform very well but need an advanced degree in engineering... We've gotten decent at PIDs with the gimbals but how is the SuperX compared to DJI in GUI Setup and Configuration.

You will be up and flying in 5 minutes or less. Most installations only require turning the gain knob on the transmitter to get it locked in and if it is a powerful or large rig turning down the yaw and throttle gain to .9 or .8. It honestly makes DJI look complicated.

There are 4 steps to start flying. Calibrate radio mid point, calibrate radio high points, calibrate compass/gps, fly and adjust gains. No calibrating what is level and no ESC adjustments (other than choosing between Ultra PWM or Normal and setting end points).

Last edited by a moderator:

cbpagent72

OMG ! What a hoot!! I haven't laughed so hard in months. And, like all really good humor, only slightly removed from the truth. *This* is the reason I read these forums! "Poon-Yang", still laughing.

I just PMed you both. Anyone who is active on the forums and wants to try out the SuperX I am happy go give you a deal in exchange for spreading the word.

I am considering swapping out my wookong fir the SuperX on my SkyJib. I considered the A2 but I am still hearing about some issues with it.

Does Super X have waypoints and a datalink?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Electro 2

Does Super X have waypoints and a datalink?

In a word, no. There is an OSD available but no export of real-time flight data option. They may make it available at some future point, but not at present. If you're doing serious AP, there is no need for waypoints. The best shots/productions are always done non-atonomously with a camera operator on a seperate RC link.

SMP

Ok... I give this thread a 10. It's got a great beat and is easy to dance to!! Thanks Iris, Chris and of course Drew ;) ;)