Water buoy floatation system

rcmike

That looks like a pretty good idea. I guess it doesn't matter if you are floating just under the surface or at the bottom really, unless the water is too deep for the buoy to make it to the top.

Razzil

Shop.ca has a two pack for $27.99 with free shipping ... link here
I picked some up awhile back for $22.99
I have two strapped to my TBS Discovery.

Last edited by a moderator:

gencode

Kloner, Guess what, flying right after dark and my hex went right in the lake after what I think the battery failed.
The craft sank about 2 feet, 2 of the 3 water buoys deployed and the craft came back up.
I swam out and got it. Put the hex in a large garbage bag of rice overnight, let it dry and everyting including FPV is working.

kloner

Aerial DP
that's awesome. i never did get to test them inflate. when my gear gets wet the first thing i do is uncase everything. screws and plugs out of naza, vtx heat shrink cut off and rinse it with bottled water then kinda sling dry them then place in rice or if it's hot, sun. you want to release as much water built up inside every part on the rig to minimize the dry time. only thing i've lost is esc in fresh water and all electronics in salt.

gencode

Hmmm Looks like they do not ship to the USA.... When you go to pick a country, Canada is the only option. Ordered from http://www.landfallnavigation.com/waterbuoy.html instead. Thanks for the heads up on these. I already have a quad at the bottom of one lake...

I just called the number on the site, they said they were out until 2014, they cant get them right now. I have called several places, all are out or don't sell anymore.

gencode

I've been using Go-Pro Floaties when I fly over water. I stick em under my S800 center frame with 3M VHB adhesive. You can find these without the backdoor that GoPro sells.
Thankfully, I haven't have to dive in after my hex, but in case it does fall to the ocean, I believe the floaties will do the trick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Floaty-Back...S-15-AEE-/251346986732?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

Thanks but my craft is 5.5 pounds, these wont help. 2 Water-buoys lifted my $1500 craft to safety 6 months ago. They were amazing. Water-buoys deploy a gas lifting 1 kg (2.2lbs)each, I keep 3 on as one was a dud.

Thanks but my craft is 5.5 pounds, these wont help. 2 Water-buoys lifted my $1500 craft to safety 6 months ago. They were amazing. Water-buoys deploy a gas lifting 1 kg (2.2lbs)each, I keep 3 on as one was a dud.

Hey maybe these will do the trick also.
http://www.signoutfitters.com/FloatingKeychain.aspx
A couple of plastic ties to the arms, and I bet you'll get your wet hex back. These might reduce vibrations too. Just showing some alternatives.

FlyGirl

If you just ordered from landfall you may want to call them.

Shoot..... Thanks for the heads up. I just cancelled the order as we have about two months before the water becomes ice anyway. LOL! I'll just stick to dry land until next spring :) Thanks again! By the way, I told the guy in an email what we were going to use them for and gave him the heads up that they could make some money selling these....

gencode

Shoot..... Thanks for the heads up. I just cancelled the order as we have about two months before the water becomes ice anyway. LOL! I'll just stick to dry land until next spring :) Thanks again! By the way, I told the guy in an email what we were going to use them for and gave him the heads up that they could make some money selling these....

WAHOO FlyGirl, I found them, I called and confirmed and they had 10, I ordered 4 so that leaves 6 more left
they are here while supplies last
http://www.apsltd.com/p-15045-water-buoy-1kg-auto-inflate-lift-wlight.aspx

gencode

Actually Water Bouy has pictures of my craft with it on the legs (shown below)
I actually had a crash in a lake, it sank for a sec, 2 of the 3 deployed it was at night and you could see it from a mile away. I swam out and paddled back with it. Rice dry and new blades and it flew like nothing ever happened. I had an earlier crash without them and my naza and f550 is still there :(
These are great!
View attachment 13821

Attachments

• IMG_9615.jpg
    IMG_9615.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 300