WARNING - Firmware 5.24

Teamflail

The next GoPro and Cineform software could be the final nail in the male jewelry heavy lift syndrome coffin. That would make our chances of long term survival much better.

Sorry about that!

I would agree with you Denny but cameras are all about two things. Sensors and lenses. Being a nature photog for years, I have come to understand sensors are about a third of the equation but lenses are two thirds. I love my GoPro 3 and it is an absolutely amazing piece of engineering. Considering the size, it comes with a waterproof case, easy to use, I love this thing. But it will never do the job of a professional camera. Unless the next iteration comes out with interchangeable lenses, it will still be great camera but not quite up to the task of professional video and photography. Trust me, I wish it was have all/do all. Just my 2 cents.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
lots of nice stuff to think about Denny. glad you find time to post while waiting on renderings to run their course. the point worth noting is that we work with different goals but I don't understand your desire to make the kinds of bloated proclamations that you do.

i'm not of the opinion that big is the end-all-be-all but it has it's place until technology makes it unnecessary. we're not quite there just yet.

boeing and airbus should see things your way and rely more on the quality of their construction then and forego any commitments to redundancy? and i guess balsa is the new wonder material? didn't you castrate someone a while back for using aluminum as it is an archaic material? fwiw, your square arms wrapped with electrical tape are inspiring.

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

Bart

Actually they are only covered for visual awareness. The construction of the arm is made up of end grain balsa and carbon prepreg. in a dual section. The ESC and wiring was blended with nothing more elaborate than shoe goo to waterproof it and generally smooth it out.

Teamflail
In my motor racing days I was also a Canon Pro user and still have a few exotic lenses here 800/ 4.5 200/1.8 and a 400 /2.8 85/1.2 along with a few bodies and some fond memories. It is true what you say but that application for aerial photography is almost zero. Cinematic cameras are used primarily with lenses that produce differential focussing effects without an artifact known as breathing where your DSLR lens zooms very slightly as you pull the focus. In AP we want a sharp picture and a big depth of field and that occurs naturally as the image sensor becomes smaller as does the lens. The larger the sensor then the narrower the depth of field and the chance of chromatic aberrations at wide apertures. The bigger and heavier then the the harder it will be to stabilise it. The larger it is the less suitable it becomes.

So the smaller and lighter the camera then the better the chance of getting higher performance providing that the sensor can deliver the resolution. The 4 K gopro is living proof that it can and it can only get better. All we need is a range of lenses to go with that. If you thought that your GoPro was only capable of highly distorted fish eye imagery then you have not played with the right software. Now if you think these are just the ravings of a madman then you should watch this carefully[video]https://youtube.googleapis.com/v/AHrZgS-Gvi4[/video]

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I experienced the same problems as Droider with latest firmware. I did post something about it on rcgroups in the dgi wookong thread but it got swamped nearly right away with the usual drivel and was overlooked. I thought it was the IOC messing up because it seemed like it was flipping in and out of IOC and GPS position hold without me touching anything. We were testing at a field and couldn't figure out what was going on. It was like 'GPS is back on...' few seconds later.. 'oh, it's off again' and it would drift a bit in atti mode then suddenly lock into position as GPS came back on again, all with GPS PH on all the time and IOC off.

DennyR

Any chance of getting back to 5.24?

The indication is that the sunspot maxima affects the earlier version GPS a lot more than the V2. You can also give yourself some improvements by shielding your compass with a special kind of metal tape. It is used normally in HiFi equipment. I will try and find where I got this stuff from. With APM2.5 software you can see the effect of magnetic interference from your own wiring loom which can degrade the accuracy and it is accumalative. With the Naza you can see that and correct it so long as it is not excessive (in the software).

Gbox

Teamfail thanks and Dave, All I can say is that after fitting a new V2 it was a different machine, It felt really locked-in. It's 6 am. now and about to start another day at the office. A window of about 3 hours before the wind and temp. kill me. These machines have 25 min. duration.

I have S800 with the V1 IMU and the V1 GPS with a weight of about 7 Kg and everything works very well. Do you think it's worth to upgrade to the V2, even if i have no issues?

Tahoe Ed

I have S800 with the V1 IMU and the V1 GPS with a weight of about 7 Kg and everything works very well. Do you think it's worth to upgrade to the V2, even if i have no issues?

If it works and you have no need of the new features then why bother?

Gbox

If it works and you have no need of the new features then why bother?

That's why i ask. You say after fitting a new V2 it was a different machine. Maybe the V2 IMU will even improve the flight properties. What sort of new features are you talking about? I thought, the V2 IMU has just more precise gyros for better control on Multirotors over 7Kg.

DennyR

I am using a v2 GPS with a V1 IMU and it works well. V1 GPS was giving some problems but I cannot say 100% that it was just due to recent abnormal conditions as the unit has seen long service. It may have been just coincidence that the problem arose after loading 5.24. As others have had similar problems then I think that it is probable that this firmware is not fully compatible with v1 GPS. IMHO. At the time when I had a near fly away there were two phantoms flying close by and none were affected.

Thanks Dave for the info. I upgraded to 5.24 about 2 weeks ago and have been been experiencing exactly the same problems. I related the problem to Geoff at Quadcopters last week. One minute my hexa is flying perfect in GPS mode, the next it's drifting away. I just could not get a fix on it until I read your thread and further reading and tests have confirmed your theory, despite good GPS coverage my WKM is switching back into atti mode on its own when it loses the GPS signal. Thanks once again for the heads up.

Eric

Thanks Dave for the info. I upgraded to 5.24 about 2 weeks ago and have been been experiencing exactly the same problems. I related the problem to Geoff at Quadcopters last week. One minute my hexa is flying perfect in GPS mode, the next it's drifting away. I just could not get a fix on it until I read your thread and further reading and tests have confirmed your theory, despite good GPS coverage my WKM is switching back into atti mode on its own when it loses the GPS signal. Thanks once again for the heads up..
Eric, can you tell us what version of GPS you have to see if it correlates to Denny's theory?

I purchased the WKM about 18 months ago so I assume I have v1 GPS. It's flown ok up to the 5.24 upgrade. Denny may be right.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
As a matter of fact we are at the height of a solar cycle, the sun is going to shift poles in the next few months. Expect some nasty storms both solar and weather wise. This is one of the strongest cycles we have seen in recorded history so make it a priority to check conditions everytime you fly for the next while...

Aye Up APVXtreme its part of my preflight checks to lookvat the solar activity as well as a whole bunch of other stuff.. everything O looked at said 'QUIET' Maybe you could post where you check your data at. Quiet says to me OK!

More in following posts.

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Well after a manic week of filmimg with 5.22 on the FC I had no issues at all. Unfortunatley the older firmware as pointed out in this thread does not support the iPhone/iPad app. Since I have got an iPad to fill in flight operations forms on site digitally rather than on paper, scan send off I thought last night I would give 5.24 another go.. So last night I did the upgrade, charged the packs for an early morning foray, loaded the van and at 5.30 this morning set off into the mist. What I was after was the Geese arriving the earliest I have ever known along with the harvest scenes and what ever else I could find. I flew Atti all morning and loved the whole experience of flying at that time in the morning in zero wind, and beautiful settings. I got my Geese, wheat and Barely fields at dawn, rows of dew soaked lettuce broccoli and cabbage, workers in the mist cutting leaks and harvesters making the most of the daylight processing onions. The smells were amazing as was the light. 8 flight later I got to the sunflower field. wanted to do a high 360 of the glorious field. So off to the middle, 30 ft up GPS Hold on.. started the slow pan and bugger me, 9 sats on the telemetry and off it went!

Yellow flash green flash, yellow flash green flash.. flivk the switch from GPS to Atti then back to GSP and lock again.. then a few seconds later Yellow Flash green flash.. bugger.

Anyhow for those on here and on RC bollocks that question my set up then here is the facts.

No I dont have GPS V2 and I have been flying this machine now for almost 12 months NO GPS Problems what so ever, solar activity quiet or high..

I just rolled back again to 5.22 the issue has gone away. Its OK for people with V2 saying they dont have an issue but the vast majority on here I am guessing have V1 GSP units.

SO do I really want to buy a V2 GPS just to see if its my setup... nay.. I would rather have the ability to fly as I did before with out the unit going to Atti.

SO THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTIOnS

IF your craft goes to failsafe and is returning home and the unit decided to go to ATTI what happens?
IF you are using the return to home feature and the unit decided to go to ATTI what happens?

I would suggest everyone makes sure they are totally happy with 5.24 BEFORE we see umpteen flyways...

Dave

Dave, thanks for fully looking into this further, and sorry that the problem is still showing itself for you.

This weekend I went back to 5.24 and flew extensively in GPS mode, and had no issues throughout my 10ish flights in GPS mode. But, as pointed out around here, I have the V2 GPS which seems exempt from this issue (or so it would seem).

Your questions are very valid ones, but alas, I have no answer to them. I would venture to guess it would stop its return home flight, but if the condition that prompted failsafe to trigger still exists (i.e. transmitter communciation lost, or switch in FS mode), it would reattempt to enter FS again, but would only be able to do so once the GPS has regained its sanity.

eyeball

Hi Dave...
Yes I'm running the latest firmware on my wkm and it also has the latest v2 GPS. Since originally discovering my problem of the system jumping from GPS to ATTI and then back again I have flown my X4 only a couple of times. I flew her on a shoot early last week and didn't notice the problem and then again last night and to be honest it was flat calm and so even in atti it was stationary, I did keep a look out for the led to show the problem but I didn't notice it. I'm going out again in a couple of hours so I'll report back with anymore issues.
So even though you maybe on the early GPS I don't think its an early GPS issue as I'm still having the problem on the V2.
Dave....don't you just love rsg skylines. Aaarghh!
Cheers
Eyeball

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Apparently there is a new foofoo thingymabob and some new whatsit memomemo maris piper chip thing thats going to make it work Also PH are really trying to restructure and top of the list is sorting the skyline with a new engineer looking into it.. fingers crossed or is the latest firmware upgrade for the competitor going to shake up the whole market... mmmm we will see.

Dave